Third ride to work report

Waterobert

Now it is official, I commute to work on my e-bike regularly. For my third ride I chose highest assistance level available on my bike, the BOOST. As with sport level, I had no problem staying above 20mph, however this time I arrived to work with 60% battery power and got back home at 40%. With sport level I did worst , however it was my very first ride and I am not sure if battery was at 100% or a little less. Ride to work took me 35 minutes, even on the highest assistance level. I was disappointed that there was very little improvement in arriving time, maybe 3 minutes compering to standard level of assistance. I could feel bike being more snappy and getting me over 20mph faster. Overall bike is perfect for my commute, I am happy with the purchase I've made.

Now it is official, I commute to work on my e-bike regularly. For my third ride I chose highest assistance level available on my bike, the BOOST. As with sport level, I had no problem staying above 20mph, however this time I arrived to work with 60% battery power and got back home at 40%. With sport level I did worst , however it was my very first ride and I am not sure if battery was at 100% or a little less. Ride to work took me 35 minutes, even on the highest assistance level. I was disappointed that there was very little improvement in arriving time, maybe 3 minutes compering to standard level of assistance. I could feel bike being more snappy and getting me over 20mph faster. Overall bike is perfect for my commute, I am happy with the purchase I've made.

Which bike are you riding?

I remember you got an Easy Motion bike with a later, larger battery , but I don't remember the year or model. There is also some other distinctions that are important. I think my numbers and dates are all correct. 2014 BH/EM bikes and previous the lowest level of assist was 70%, but many owners were unhappy with range and distinction between assist levels. 2015 bikes the lowest level of assist dropped to 30% and in March 2015 the display was upgraded, dropping the euphemisms: Sport, Eco, Boost, etc... for the more precise percentages of" 30, 50, 70 and 100%. @Waterobert for us to better understand and comment, it would be helpful to know the bike, display and battery you have.

My bike came with older display, with Eco Standard Sport and Boost modes. I don't know how much each one is helping. Eco is the lowest and Boost the highest.

Heyoo.. Just thought I would say, I just completed my 4th ride to work today (I am sure you are on many more). Hope you are having fun fellow ebike commuter. :)

most of the ebikes I've been on seem to assist about 2mph+ or - per level of assist at a given cadence and effort regardless of how they choose to rate them.
Eco is about 2 mph faster than unassisted and each level beyond adds that 2mph without me changing my peddling.
The higher level will reward with faster acceleration (faster ride times too) only if you increase your intensity as well.
And of course you can tweak the performance settings on many bikes.
That said, it takes a big (huge) speed increase to chop more than a couple of minutes off any ride of less than an hour. Going from 19 to 20 miles in an hour would shave about 3 minutes. That's a very noticable speed increase on a bike (if you are peddling anyway :)

Last edited:
Back