Thinner Tires on ST1

Cupid

Dear ST1 owners,
Has everyone here changed their stock tire on their ST1 to thinner tires?
How is the result afterwards? Does it go faster? Stiffer ride?
Any insight would be appreciated as stock tires seems too wide and thick.
Do you need to change the wheel as well or can you just buy thinner width tires?
What are some tires you have replaced original tires with?

thx

Although I haven't changed the type of tires on my bike, I've looked into changing them to the 1.75" Marathon Plus. They are a thinner tire with superior puncture protection, however you'll find the ride to be more stiff and bumpy.

No you don't need to change the rims. You can put on any 26" tire that you find substantial enough for your bike. If you have the model with the front suspension I imagine you can afford to go a bit narrower before the road bumps kill your wrists. I was going to change mine immediately but I'm finding that the stock tires are not as hard to pedal as I had imagined and that I really need the amount of cushioning they provide on bumpy streets. I do wish they were a little less slippery in wet conditions.

I usually ride 90% of bike path, so should be okay changing to something a bit thinner. Starting in 2015, ST1 does not come with front suspension option. :(
I'm assuming with thinner tires, less weight, top speed can increase by 0.5 mph~? ^_^

Sina,
What size do you have?
Other ppl on the thread have recommended to use:
Mr. Tuffy Bicycle Tire Liner

Yeah if you're riding mostly on bike paths you're good. I have to deal with a lot of potholes so if I had anything narrower I might be getting a lot of pinch flats on that heavy back wheel.

Why would you want a skinnier tire riding bike paths? Needing to go faster?? The cush of airing down the BB's is worth 3mph off , but it doesn't cost nearly that.
Balloon type tires are taking over if you look around the bike world. They are close to cheap suspension with the carbon fork.
'

Back