Thinking about an adult electric tricycle

celeste821

Region
USA
I have a 28 y/o special needs daughter, so I've been thinking about getting a bike but how do I bring her along? So I thought electric tricycle because I don know if she will peddle, also noise will be a huge factor so any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:
I have a 28 y/o special needs daughter, so I've been thinking about getting a bike but how do I bring her along? So I thought electric tricycle because I don know if she will peddle, also noise will be a huge factor so any suggestions? Thanks
Trikes are very unstable and going down a slope it is easy to flip them. Similar problems with the 3-wheel ATVs which have been replaced with 4-wheel models that are much safer.

Could you give us a little bit more info?
Since you mentioned that she may not pedal, is it something to do with her leg?
There are soooo many trikes out there, it's difficult to recommend without knowing a little bit info.

Here are a few examples, as you can see, there are way too many variations.

TRIS BIKE Tilting Trike. Tilting three wheeled ebike

Electric Trike Reviews | ElectricBikeReview.com

ICE Electric Trike - Shimano STEPs E6100 and E8000 Electric Assist Recumbent  Trikes Bikes

HASE Bikes USA - Adaptive Bikes for all abilities | Recumbent Trikes |  Tandem Bikes | Hand Cycles | E-Bikes

Cycling - Oregon Adaptive Sports

3Score Electric Fat Trike 750W Motor and 48V 17.4 AH LG Lithium  Rechargeable Battery - Etrike 24 Inch Fat Tire - Foldable Electric Cruiser  Tricycle : Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

ICE Trikes 2021 Recumbent Trikes Brochure - Electric Bikes - Fat Trikes -  Road Trikes - E-Trike by ICE Trikes - issuu
Her disability is cognitive, so I don't know if she would peddle on one of the bikes that each person peddles one side. She is 28 but functions like an 18 month old, but physically is runs jumps normally. So I wouldn't trust her having control. I not young so I was thinking of something I would control but with a little help 🙂

Sorry I think I'm getting a bit of conflicting information here.
You said she may not pedal, which sounded like you're hoping that she would pedal if she can.
At the same time, you are concerned about her safety if she was to pedal and take control.

eBikes are not like regular tricycle/bicycle where you can walk alongside.
(Unless you cut off the assist, because in my experience, I found that even at lowest level, it goes faster than walking speed)
It is capable of going 20mph or 28mph, depending on which class you get. (there's Class 1 and 2, which is 20mph and Class 3 which is 28mph)
Many of them come with a throttle as well. My point is, if an ebike was to take off, it's not something that you can easily catch up.

As fooferdoggie suggested, I think the tandem bike might be the way to go.
Sorry for not being clear, I'm not looking for her to navigate because she is like a toddler. I was thinking how can I get exercise and take her along but have help if I get tired.

I posted a note here somewhere about the FT-1900x eTrike that could offer you great stability, and since I tested it, it is extremely quite. I think that's what you're looking for, right? Maybe they still have it on sale at https://mobilityscootrike.com/ Your daughter wouldn't need it to pedal if you set the display to motor mode only.

If your'e just looking for something to bring the daughter along I'd look at a Lectric Xpedition. It would be a affordable experiment in two person transport that won't let you down. My wife and I use one to bump around the 'hood and whatnot. Downside is its two wheels so if the passenger wiggles it might be a bad choice. Upside is its a 20" and sits lower to the ground.

If you intend to let her loose on her own trike they have a weird learning curve. My wife had a trike and would still clip a rear wheel in turns or on obstacles like trashcans and such. She never flipped one though, but I did goofing around. Was much harder to tip than I thought.

Also, note that a trike or quad cycle take up a bunch of space when parked. Not a deal breaker if you have a spot to store it but some people don't realize how cumbersome they are until the they actually own one. Heck, my Xpedition is a bit of a beast sometimes.

Before I forget. If you have a Pedego dealer in your area take her for a test ride with a Trike Electric Bike model.

Back