Theft prevention with Purion

xMarcus

Is there any way to "lock" your Bosch motor to prevent someone from turning it on?

In this case with the Purion display which can't be removed from the bike.

I'm thinking of some kind of "secret" Purion button combination to turn off/on the bike (other than the Power button :).

People have a false sense of security about the display being removable.

Intuvia display is removable but that prevents the display from being stolen NOT the bike. In my opinion turning off the electric assist will do nothing against theft prevention it is just a heavier bike and they will steal it.

I don't feel safe when I take off the intuvia display. If I am leaving the bike outside (and I don't to leave it at any place that I don't know , most of the time take it inside when I can) I always lock it securely and take the battery with me.

My buddy had his bike stolen in Montana this past month.
He had his computer and battery off the bike.
Thieves suck.
Insurance will replace his bike and they probably won't get any use or much $$$ for the stolen goods.
Now he has a spare battery.

What insurance did he have if you don't mind me asking? Has me scared spending thousands on an ebike! Thanks

How was his bike secured? Did the thief have to cut off a lock or cable to take it?

I agree that a stolen e-bike without the battery and computer will be difficult to sell and won't be worth much.

What insurance did he have if you don't mind me asking? Has me scared spending thousands on an ebike! Thanks

His homeowners policy. Don't be scared, I've watched skiis walk off the racks for decades and nobody locks them.
Thieves simply suck

How was his bike secured? Did the thief have to cut off a lock or cable to take it?

I agree that a stolen e-bike without the battery and computer will be difficult to sell and won't be worth much.

Cable which was cut. I use the interlinked metal band locks, supposed to be more resistant to that.
Lots of thieves are stupid too, they take anything they think will convert to cash.
Not so much of it really does.

Don't underestimate your Homeowner's Policy! I have a very nice CAAD10 and was run over by a preoccupied teen. Destroyed the bike. The kid literally had nothing. No insurance. Lived with three roommates and had some very low-paying temporary job. I opened up a police report because I had superficial injuries but did not pursue anything legally.

I thought I was going to be out a bike but a buddy told me to check with my Homeowner's Policy. Sure enough it was covered. They literally cut me an $1800 check within a week and I promptly went down and purchased a new CAAD12 with it.

Don't underestimate your Homeowner's Policy! I have a very nice CAAD10 and was run over by a preoccupied teen. Destroyed the bike. The kid literally had nothing. No insurance. Lived with three roommates and had some very low-paying temporary job. I opened up a police report because I had superficial injuries but did not pursue anything legally.

I thought I was going to be out a bike but a buddy told me to check with my Homeowner's Policy. Sure enough it was covered. They literally cut me an $1800 check within a week and I promptly went down and purchased a new CAAD12 with it.

I have Geico Homeowners ( Condo ) Insurance. When I bought my bikes I called Geico asking if theft of my e-Bikes would be covered. I explained the bikes are expensive and did I need
a separate Insurance Rider specific to the bikes. I was told no. My Home owners coverage will pay 100% replacement less my deductible. ($500) I was told the bikes are personal property
end of story. I called Geico several month later just to reconfirm the above and was told the same thing.

His homeowners policy. Don't be scared, I've watched skiis walk off the racks for decades and nobody locks them.
Thieves simply suck

Cable which was cut. I use the interlinked metal band locks, supposed to be more resistant to that.
Lots of thieves are stupid too, they take anything they think will convert to cash.
Not so much of it really does.

I posted the video below on another Page of the Forum dealing specifically with bike locks. I highly recommend this YouTube Channel and the fella that
does the videos. He has a whole series just on bike locks..It's worth a look.

I have Geico Homeowners ( Condo ) Insurance. When I bought my bikes I called Geico asking if theft of my e-Bikes would be covered. I explained the bikes are expensive and did I need
a separate Insurance Rider specific to the bikes. I was told no. My Home owners coverage will pay 100% replacement less my deductible. ($500) I was told the bikes are personal property
end of story. I called Geico several month later just to reconfirm the above and was told the same thing.
Lucky. I checked with my renter's insurance and was told e-bikes are considered motor vehicles in New York so they won't cover it. I ended up insuring my bike through Velsurance, though, and it's only $190/year.

I posted the video below on another Page of the Forum dealing specifically with bike locks. I highly recommend this YouTube Channel and the fella that
does the videos. He has a whole series just on bike locks..It's worth a look.

How did he do with this one?
It's what I carry for short stops within visual range.

Attachments

• 51yM35AWBiL._SL1000_[1].jpg
    51yM35AWBiL._SL1000_[1].jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 473
Back