The Scorpion is deceptively efficient

Bruce Arnold

After 100 miles on the Scorpion, something has become clear: it's deceptively efficient.

Like most of us, looking at the geometry, I figured most people would depend on the throttle, with the pedals to keep it legally in the non-licensed bicycle world. But when I went looking at step-throughs because my knees don't want me to swing my leg over the seat any more, this one looked like what I wanted to try.

Maybe most owners do depend on the throttle, I have no way of knowing. But I was wrong about the pedals. They don't function in the way that we're used to on diamond-frame bikes, but function they do. I even spend some time in 0 mode, to save battery, and it works okay.

I can easily cruise at 18 mph in PAS 1 on level ground, or Eco if I want to put in just a little more effort (not a lot more.) And you get up to 18 mph in very short order. My wife took a trial run on the Scorpion (she rides a Pedego City Commuter, for comparison), and she said the same thing. It reminds me of the time, when I was 18 years old, when my neighbor who was an oral surgeon asked me to take his Benz to the Mercedes dealer in the big city an hour away for service. I found myself cruising at 85 before I knew it. Between the powerful engine and the smooth ride, it felt like my mother's Impala at 55.

I think it's two things. One is the 52 volt system, providing more power than 48 v systems over more of the charge. And the second is that it has a 25 amp controller, instead of the 20 amps my CCS had. As far as the nominal 750 watt motor versus 650 watt motor, assuming there really is a distinction (I doubt it), that's not much of a distinction in the first place.

The place where our guesses about pedaling the Scorpion do pan out is on hills. I live in the coastal plains of NC, and we don't have a lot of hills. But we do have some in my neighborhood. I find it works best to bump the PAS up to 3 or S, get up a good head of steam up around 20 mph, and then downshift as needed. That is due as much to the weight of the bike as it is to the geometry. 100 lbs, instead of the 65 I'm used to on the CCS, is nothing to sneeze at.

A couple of days ago I miscalculated how much battery I had left. It got low enough that the voltage read-out and battery meter were winking at me. Somewhere between 44-45 volts IIRC. I have never ever meant to let it get that low -- we're talking less than 20% state of charge and we know that stresses the battery -- but I didn't account for the way lithium batteries have that steep drop off towards the end of their charge. I put it in 0 mode and pedaled the rest of the way home. Slow, but doable, although believe me I won't make a habit of it.

One final thought: all of the Kickstarter and pre-orders have shipped, which is a lot of Scorpions. Yet we're not seeing people posting about their Scorpion here on EBR. To me, that means it's not a hobbyist's bike. I'm guessing they're being bought by people who just see how much damn fun they are. I'm sure some will be used for commuting/running errands, as I do. But I wonder if they aren't being bought mostly for recreation. Those folks aren't posting on forums, they're out having a blast.

And this thing is a blast.

But I wonder if they aren't being bought mostly for recreation. Those folks aren't posting on forums, they're out having a blast.

I have seen two scorpions here in Chicago and both were delivery drivers. They seemed to be having a time of their lives without having to pedal in 90'F summer heat.

Glad you're enjoying the bike!

Nice write-up!

Have nothing to add, but to your point about EBR... It's been going on for years but it just feels like it has accelerated in the last 2-3, where social media giants are sucking the blood out of everything else. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Reddit somewhat... Are all displacing forums. Forums admittedly were already pretty marginal, but now much more so, unless it's for a rare niche where adherents have a very strong desire to talk to each other. Endless Sphere for that reason is probably safe. Also the giants are pretty bad for long form content.

The ship date for my wife's (it is still a surprise for her) Brushed Aluminum Hyper now looks to be next Thu or Fri (7/23 or 24)! 🙌🙌🙌

I like how Tora/Juiced has been updating pre-order buyers every week.

My wife's riding has changed significantly since I originally purchased this ebike for her. I had thought that due to serious and continuing back issues after a fall many years ago, as well as her on-going cancer chemotherapy (long term cancer survivor), she would want something fast with a throttle for twist-and-go fun. But instead she has taken to pedaling our new ebikes (replaced our 2010 Pedegos starting back in Feb of this year) like a duck to water. And depending on the day (we ride daily for the exercise), she can sometimes ride my legs off on her FLX Roadster and/or her Haibike Trekking 7.0. She also has a fat bike with a throttle (FLX Gladiator), but she pedals it. Her doctors are very much liking the results of our e-biking.

But I'm still hoping that she will love the HyperScorp's speed and throttle, and will maybe allow her to start thinking about more car-free trips to town. Maybe some of her Dr appointments, or down to the hardware store if she just wants some more plants (I'll need to make a box for the rear rack). We have already switched over to e-bikes for regular trips to the market, the bank, etc.

The ship date for my wife's (it is still a surprise for her) Brushed Aluminum Hyper now looks to be next Thu or Fri (7/23 or 24)! 🙌🙌🙌

I like how Tora/Juiced has been updating pre-order buyers every week.

My wife's riding has changed significantly since I originally purchased this ebike for her. I had thought that due to serious and continuing back issues after a fall many years ago, as well as her on-going cancer chemotherapy (long term cancer survivor), she would want something fast with a throttle for twist-and-go fun. But instead she has taken to pedaling our new ebikes (replaced our 2010 Pedegos starting back in Feb of this year) like a duck to water. And depending on the day (we ride daily for the exercise), she can sometimes ride my legs off on her FLX Roadster and/or her Haibike Trekking 7.0. She also has a fat bike with a throttle (FLX Gladiator), but she pedals it. Her doctors are very much liking the results of our e-biking.

But I'm still hoping that she will love the HyperScorp's speed and throttle, and will maybe allow her to start thinking about more car-free trips to town. Maybe some of her Dr appointments, or down to the hardware store if she just wants some more plants (I'll need to make a box for the rear rack). We have already switched over to e-bikes for regular trips to the market, the bank, etc.
Glad your wife is enjoying the bicycling so much!

Reactions: TMH
Bruce,

I'm thinking about getting one of these. I commute about 25 Miles RT mostly flat some hills going home. What PAS level do you mostly use? I want to go about 17 MPH pedalling? What PAS level would you use? What is the range at that PAS? How often would I have to charge it? Would you buy the Scorpion again or HyperScorpion?

I get 35-40 miles on a charge, depending on how much throttle I use. I stay in Eco-1-2 most of the time. Rarely up to 3-S-R. Doing 18 mph on the level is easy in level 1. Only a tad more work in Eco. You won't have any trouble with that from your description.

I use the throttle in short bursts for acceleration. Sometimes I put the bike on cruise control, which is just throttle without having to hold the twist-grip in place. I ride as much for exercise as for commuting/errands, so using throttle a lot wouldn't make sense.

I charge every 3 days or so, which is every 30-35 miles. With your 25 mi. RT, you'll want to charge every night. If you get the Hyper Scorpion, maybe every other night; that 19 Ah battery is a beast. I wish I had one, but the 13 Ah meets my needs well enough.

I drool over the Hyper. For the extra $$, you get the bigger battery, more powerful motor, more powerful controller, and a better set of gears. If I was riding 25 mi. RT, I'd think hard about the Hyper. Or the CCX.

But I don't regret having bought the Scorpion. It meets my needs.

Last edited:
I get 35-40 miles on a charge, depending on how much throttle I use. I stay in Eco-1-2 most of the time. Rarely up to 3-S-R. Doing 18 mph on the level is easy in level 1. Only a tad more work in Eco. You won't have any trouble with that from your description.

I use the throttle in short bursts for acceleration. Sometimes I put the bike on cruise control, which is just throttle without having to hold the twist-grip in place. I ride as much for exercise as for commuting/errands, so using throttle a lot wouldn't make sense.

I charge every 3 days or so, which is every 30-35 miles. With your 25 mi. RT, you'll want to charge every night. If you get the Hyper Scorpion, maybe every other night; that 19 Ah battery is a beast. I wish I had one, but the 13 Ah meets my needs well enough.

I drool over the Hyper. For the extra $$, you get the bigger battery, more powerful motor, more powerful controller, and a better set of gears. If I was riding 25 mi. RT, I'd think hard about the Hyper. Or the CCX.

But I don't regret having bought the Scorpion. It meets my needs.

Thank You. The range is too short. I'm going to look at another ebike.

I'm going to look at another ebike.
If you like the looks of the Scorpion but want longer range, consider the VoltBike Nitro. It looks very similar but has a larger battery and is cheaper. But it also has a smaller motor. In theory that should mean better range, but it probably doesn't have the acceleration or hill climbing ability of the scorpion. Although the nitro's weight is listed as only 80 lbs (vs 100), so maybe that helps.

https://www.voltbike.com/voltbike-nitro.html

I'm just looking at specs. I have not seen either in person.

Here is a pulmonary review video of my mother and my Juiced Scorpion X:

So after semi finishing the 2nd battery I went riding for 41 miles total, using only the brand new 20 ah battery. 4 bars left on display at 49.6 volts. I pedal, using different settings from 1 thru Race, using the throttle to launch from stops and aid in the wind or going up a hill. I will say the entire ride only went 215 ft elevation, as I live in a fairly flat area.

thank you uncle fester for this here’s a link to the first of one of the battery installation videos:

Back