The saddle thread: Cloud 9 sizes and images on page three

Reid

I dunno, but I will try Brooks again. Years ago had a sprung, B-66 but it was too wide for my narrow sit bones.

Have been riding a fair amount on a narrow, padded plastic saddle and it suits me fine. I do not do well on a wide saddle.

However, there is a narrow and firm saddle I am going to try out. It is a Brooks Swift and was found in used-but-new condition through Amazon for $106 delivered; returnable if not liked:

brooks swift in black.jpg

Why would I want to try a Brooks? Because it is nice looking and historical. Esthetics are pleasing if also functional.

But, if my posterior cannot adapt to it I will concede defeet and admit that I am an --- to even try this thing!

(grins)

This is a saddle thread. What saddles work for you?

(correction and edit: it was a B-66 that I had years ago and found to be too wide for my narrow sit bones)

Last edited:
Reid ...
The Brooks C17 works well for me but I am not fully committed to it. I also have a C17s (photo - "s" is for short) but suspect that it is not as comfortable as the C17 because it has less of a hammock effect which is what Brooks tout as the best feature of their Cambium range. I bought the short version because it seemed that it would be just a bit easier to mount and dismount when stepping across the lowish top tube rather than swing a leg over the back wheel, road bike-style.
... David

cambium_c17s_s_x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourite brooks saddle is the b67

I’ve tried about 20 different saddles on my ebike, the b67 is the only one that gave support and comfort.

Oh and hi everyone, I’m new. Based in the UK.

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/saddles/b67-3.html

View attachment 22996
Brooks was actively selling to the US market from the earliest days of the cycling boom here, by 1892 (at least) they were promoting saddles essentially similar to some they still sell today. I'll look for an early Brooks advert and add it here....

Hello and greetings to rexel 1!

David, thanks for your input, too!

Last edited:
I had settled on the Brooks B-17 until someone - @Mark Peralta maybe? - sold me on the Cloud 9. The springs work well, and a wider saddle supports my more upright posture. Have done some longer rides and it's a distinct improvement over the stock saddle on the CCS. We'll see about longevity - I wouldn't expect it to last as long as a leather saddle.

I had settled on the Brooks B-17 until someone - @Mark Peralta maybe? - sold me on the Cloud 9. The springs work well, and a wider saddle supports my more upright posture. Have done some longer rides and it's a distinct improvement over the stock saddle on the CCS. We'll see about longevity - I wouldn't expect it to last as long as a leather saddle.

When I got my full suspension Luna BBSHD, I also included the pricey B67 saddle ($120). I waited for many many miles for it to soften and conform to my butt, however, it did not happen and got tired of waiting so I replaced it with the cheap C-9 spring saddle and felt more comfortable with it.

Brooks makes very nice traditional saddles. They require hundreds of miles to form to your anatomy, though… after you have sorted out your ergonomics on the bike. When I used them years ago on several bikes, the recommendation was to oil the leather to hasten the fit. It worked, but the oil transferred to my clothing. I now ride on Serfas saddles which don’t need all the TLC, they are immediately comfortable. Way mo betta.

Love the look of the Brooks B67; goes very well with my bike I think... but I'm probably 1,000 miles in on the Brooks, with at least 4 generous Proofide applications in those 3 months, and it doesn't remotely feel softened up...!

I'm probably gonna try the Cloud 9 this summer... and may try out a susp. seat post once my weight loss puts me within their weight limit... got about 25lbs to go...

Reid,
I have a lightly used Selle Anatomica (has seen less than 150 miles).

https://selleanatomica.com/collections/x-series/products/x2

You don't have to pay for it. I could send it to you for you to try. If you have already bought the Brooks, that's fine too.

I have been using Brooks B17 and Imperial on my bikes and can never think of going back to any other saddle.
Thanks, yes! I would like to try that. Its narrowness appeals and the cutout gives it a flexibility the Brooks is not going to have.

But I hope, too, I can adapt to the Brooks. I do like that name!

And your B17? It's great if it fits and I guess that basic model is fairly well worked out today, a hundred and twenty five years later, grin!

Am expecting the hard reality of the Brooks Swift I am getting shortly may pain me to give up the idea. Just gotta try it to be sure!

Ravi's Selle does look like a more likely fit, being flexible, than the Brooks. I'll trial it, Ravi, thank you again so much!

Attachments

• detail.png
    detail.png
    125.1 KB · Views: 801
Last edited:
Thanks, yes! I would like to try that. Its narrowness appeals and the cutout gives it a flexibility the Brooks is not going to have.

But I hope, too, I can adapt to the Brooks. I do like that name!

And your B17? It's great if it fits and I guess that basic model is fairly well worked out today, a hundred and twenty five years later, grin!

Am expecting the hard reality of the Brooks Swift I am getting shortly may pain me to give up the idea. Just gotta try it to be sure!

Ravi's Selle does look like a more likely fit, being flexible, than the Brooks. I'll trial it, Ravi, thank you again so much!
Checkout the B17 Narrow Imperial. It has the cutout for....

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/saddles/mtb/b17-narrow-imperial-3.html

I've been riding a Brooks B17 Imperial for 9 or 10k miles. I like it very much. I'd guess it took every bit of 500+ miles to break in. The idea of a Brooks is that your sit bones, once toughened up a bit, will hold your body up off the saddle so the major nerve endings aren't compressed. A friend of mine once said firm is soft! I would never call it soft, just very comfortable. Not everybody will like a Brooks and getting the right one for your sit bones can be a bit of trial and error. When people ask me about mine I say it's very comfortable, I have a boney butt I guess, because they often don't see comfort in it. I also will suggest that the comfort comes with several hours in the saddle a week (more than several really). Keeps the butt tough.

Saddles, grips and pedals are just so personal it's hard to give a recommendation of model or brand. I did mount my spare Serfas saddle this spring for a couple rides due to a back issue I was suffering with, I thought it might help. After a 25 mile ride I was back to the B17 to stay.

I have owned 5 Brooks saddles, B17’s, Ti Pros and one B67. All were broken in quickly and easily using the Cowboy boots method of soaking in warm water and then going for a ride. Only takes a few times. When dry treated with Proofhide and then re-applied once a year.

That said after moving to drizzly OR and even with proofhide they weren’t happy with the climate I now use WTB Rocket V’s and am happy with them and they are not affected by too much moisture.

Jen and I came upon this beauty - a Lepper Primus - in Vienna after cycling down the Danube from Passau. "Lepper" is just discernible on the metal label; "Primus" is embossed on the side. At first, I thought that the steel plates joining the front and rear springs were a none-too-pretty amateur repair; however, they are authentic.

vienna_saddle_rear_s.jpg

There is a modern take available from Holland Bike Shop.

... David

Last edited by a moderator:
All this information is so great. Thank you, too, JRA.

Am having fun learning while waiting for the Brooks Swift in black to arrive.

Am liable now to just soak it in warm water. And if that don't work, I will go soak my head (grin).

Reading reviews, found this :D in the listing for the saddle I have on order

I have owned 5 Brooks saddles, B17’s, Ti Pros and one B67. All were broken in quickly and easily using the Cowboy boots method of soaking in warm water and then going for a ride. Only takes a few times. When dry treated with Proofhide and then re-applied once a year.

That said after moving to drizzly OR and even with proofhide they weren’t happy with the climate I now use WTB Rocket V’s and am happy with them and they are not affected by too much moisture.

Reid, an addendum is that you don't soak it to excess. Just enough to get the leather somewhat pliable by touch. What I did was take the seat and post out of the bike and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. Warm water, not hot. The moisture will dissipate while riding also so the drying process doesn't take long. Also not just my saddles were done with this method but many of my riding buddies did also.

Pic of my Ti Pro when new in 2000 after quick break in method

IMG_1888.PNG

Same saddle on another bike of mine in 2015

14305214_10206413325444306_1717520548767584918_o.jpg

Same bike in it's original build form in 2000 with a Cowboyed B17 that also saw service for years

fullsizeoutput_9be.jpeg

Well well... riding home tonight I hit a large-ish bump in uneven pavement and hear a distinct metallic “snap” noise, felt a small jolt in the saddle... I thought perhaps my saddle mount clamp had jumped a “tooth” position. But I noticed the saddle felt ever so slightly lopsided and when I reached a stopping point, I removed the Brooks B67 and saw that one of the horizontal mount rails was now cracked!! Not quite clean through, but enough that I can flex that rail a bit at that point with only modest pressure. I’ve remounted the saddle in a more forward position so the crack is “covered” by the clamp/bracket for the ride home. Guess I’ll be writing to Brooks tonight when I get home :( Sure hope that isn’t 1,000 miles of “breaking in” down the drain...

...Returning the Brooks B67 with newly-broken rail to Amazon for a refund. Alas, I got nowhere fast, trying to inquire about warranty repair work for the broken rail with Brooks (ie, in England.) They gave me an email address to reach out to, for repair work in North America; but I never heard back from them since writing. Gonna try the Cloud 9 next :) Anyone need a little left-over Proofide?? ;)

Back