The new turbo Vado 2017

Hi newbie here, first post please be gentle

excellent review of vado 3.0 on this site says USA 20mph; Europe 15mph

If the bike is exactly the same hardware is it possible to just change the region in the computer to make it USA or Europe ? Or even find out what region has been set ?

From what I've been told by the dealer. Even the dealer can't update the firmware to USA or Europe. Specailized rep have to come by the dealer to do the firmware. My motor cut power at 16mph. And i have women USA 3.0

that's not good news, I've got a 4.0 on order here in UK and was hoping for a tweak for a bit more top speed

We bought a specialized Vado 3.0 2018 in July of this year. It is the single worst bicycle purchase with which I have ever been associated. It has been plagued by software problems from day one. The local bike shop indicated it needed a software update but, they are finding it impossible to do the update. After nearly 2 weeks in the shop they tell me a Specialize rep is going to have to work on it. Despite the fact my local bike shop claims to be the largest specialized retailer in the United States, they have found the update doesn't work for them and specialized isn't doing anything to help. They tell me that specialized has done the update on some of bikes that are still in the shop and ready for sale but specialized has no interest apparently in getting this already sold bike into a usable condition! I have never been so disappointed with a bike purchase!

@Wildfirewon, have you tried reaching out to Specialized yourself? You might be able to get a more rapid response from the regional rep if you share your disappointment directly with the company. It's unfortunate that the company is making it so challenging for the LBS to help.

Hi @Wildfirewon I am interested in your issues - what exactly is happening? I had some issues during testing with the display freezing, but that didn't affect the ride. To make it go again I just had to push the reset button under the Bloks display. Also aware that the Mission Control App isn't ready - that's been delayed until November as I understand it.
I have to say that the Specialized support in New Zealand is outstanding, so perhaps you should move here :)

I don't know wildfirewon problem. But mine problem is that I can't get my Vado 3.0 to go pass 16mph here in the USA. From some of the review l've seen and read. They mention Vado 3.0 can go up to 28 mph. There is a sticker on my vado 3.0 it says (class 3) 28 mph. I called specialized last week, they say it can do 28 mph but I call back this week they say at this time, It cannot do 28. So I've given up trying to get it to 28mph. Right now I just need my Vado to go 20mph, which it doesn't.

Last edited:
We bought a specialized Vado 3.0 2018 in July of this year. It is the single worst bicycle purchase with which I have ever been associated. It has been plagued by software problems from day one. The local bike shop indicated it needed a software update but, they are finding it impossible to do the update. After nearly 2 weeks in the shop they tell me a Specialize rep is going to have to work on it. Despite the fact my local bike shop claims to be the largest specialized retailer in the United States, they have found the update doesn't work for them and specialized isn't doing anything to help. They tell me that specialized has done the update on some of bikes that are still in the shop and ready for sale but specialized has no interest apparently in getting this already sold bike into a usable condition! I have never been so disappointed with a bike purchase!
I purchased a Vado 3.0 a few weeks ago. WAS seriously disappointed only 16mph speed and very difficult to pedal much faster. Seems like motor is holding you back. If you are freewheeling down a hill, I hit 28 Mph.
My bike shop did an update using his windows computer with a program he signs into from specialized. All worked well.
CRITICAL!!! You must use a cable designed for DATA. Not just a charging cable. It just sits there trying to load otherwise.
I Don't know what the program is called. Menu driven smart interface. It worked well. My bike was delivered with a Euporean 15 mph in manf error. Specialized has promised to update to 20 mph.
The software update fixed the not remembering mph setting from kph. Also starts the power at 2nd level and light on.
Maybe the display freezing up. Haven't ridden far enough to be sure about that?

Was the update apply to the head unit or the battery ?
We connected a micro usb DATA cable to the display unit. It fixed some issues. Program was for display, motor and battery. Mine still needs the factory rep to change the speed to 20 mph. Mine was set as European 15 mph during manf. I still don't have the bluetooth symbol come up during startup self test. I am told bluetooth fix due in the fall. Mine is the cheaper display not TFT.
Called lbs today, no info on when rep will be able to turn up speed. Limited tools and reps available. Specialized needs to step up and fix this issue! Seems there are some in owners hands with the problem. Specialized tech help knew of the problem when lbs called them. If this is not fixed in a timely manner, I would not buy another Specialized ebike.
The 15 mph speed is a major problem for me!

Yes, 15 mph is a huge disappointment for this kind of money. If I live in Europe I wouldn't be buying it with the 15mph limit. I can get my carbon hybrid up to 15mph with no problem. But the sad part is my LBS and their specailzied rep keep telling me that this bike only can do 16mph. I went to another dealer and drove their Vado 3.0 and it went 21mph.

Hey MacVado, I test drove the Vado at my local shop. Since its a new model year (subject to new model year issues with automobiles) i asked about bugs/problems. The mechanic said 1) no real probs so far but 2) some of the bikes were accidently shipped to the US with European software programming. The mechanic said it's an easy fix and they addressed that problem - at least in this locality.

I would call Specialized directly if I were you. I'd be confident they will guide you to a solution. I would also mention the part that the local shop (AND specialized brand rep??? --- seriously???) are telling you 16 mph limit. That's simply wrong.

keep us posted. curious to hear how it works out for ya

Cheers!

Here in Europe, if You live in EU region max speed is 15..16 mph. You can fix speed higher but then bike is light moped with some incurance etc problem. So nearly all E-bikes are max 25 kmh, some are S-pedelec (45 kmh) with strictly regulations... Of course you can tune bikes max asistance speed, but if something happens and you dont have fex incurance... it's not good...

The first Turbo Levo I test rode at a LBS here in USA in September of 2016 dropped motor support above 15 mph. It must have also been flashed with the EU spec. It would be nice to be able to upgrade the firmware yourself.

Is there a Vado owner that has had there bike speed fixed from 15 mph to 20 mph? Not what someone from a Lbs said but actually had or knows someone who has? I am looking for facts. Does specialized US really know how to do this???

Well, unfortunately, no, I have no direct experience. HOWEVER, I just visited a large bike shop in Austin- the one at S. Lamar and Barton Springs Road- and had my first look at an actual Vado. They've sold a number of them and I chatted with their most ebike-savvy salesman for about 10 minutes. He told me a number of interesting things, to wit:

*All their Vado 3s had the 15 mph cutoff problem, due to their being shipped with Euro settings.
*All of their Vados in stock have been "fixed" via SW update.
*Specialized has halted further shipments until they get the SW updates completed

And here's the kicker- he said the fix brings the 3.0 up to 28 MPH. I called bullshit but he insisted it was true- offered to let me ride the Vado 3 we were looking at and claimed it would assist right up to 28. Now, I don't know if he was right (I was wearing sandals and not ready to ride) but he definitely seemed informed, and they are a BIG dealership and not some fly by night. So I'm dying for Court to actually ride one of these things and give us all the straight scoop.

Oh- the other tidbit was that the back of the rack where the taillight is seated is PLASTIC and not intended as a place to lift the bike, tho that's exactly what anyone would think to do. (This would explain the reference above to new models with broken rear racks.) He claimed Specialized was aware and working on a next iteration (probably all metal).

And here's the kicker- he said the fix brings the 3.0 up to 28 MPH. I called bullshit but he insisted it was true- offered to let me ride the Vado 3 we were looking at and claimed it would assist right up to 28. Now, I don't know if he was right (I was wearing sandals and not ready to ride) but he definitely seemed informed, and they are a BIG dealership and not some fly by night. So I'm dying for Court to actually ride one of these things and give us all the straight scoop.
The Vado 3.0 bikes in NZ are being shipped with 45kmh (demo models are all limited to 32) - I haven't ridden one unlimited but suspect that it won't actually go that fast on the flat. But it is always nice not to be limited, I really didn't like the way the Vado cut in and out, not very smoothly.
In my testing the 3.0 climbed hills better than any Bosch, and Bosch "Performance Speed" motor can go around 40-42km/h on the flat, so I suspect the Vado 3.0 will be similar or slightly better.

Well, unfortunately, no, I have no direct experience. HOWEVER, I just visited a large bike shop in Austin- the one at S. Lamar and Barton Springs Road- and had my first look at an actual Vado. They've sold a number of them and I chatted with their most ebike-savvy salesman for about 10 minutes. He told me a number of interesting things, to wit:

*All their Vado 3s had the 15 mph cutoff problem, due to their being shipped with Euro settings.
*All of their Vados in stock have been "fixed" via SW update.
*Specialized has halted further shipments until they get the SW updates completed

Oh- the other tidbit was that the back of the rack where the taillight is seated is PLASTIC and not intended as a place to lift the bike, tho that's exactly what anyone would think to do. (This would explain the reference above to new models with broken rear racks.) He claimed Specialized was aware and working on a next iteration (probably all metal).

Thank you very much Carterk, I find the 28 mph hard to believe without you going back and actually riding one at 28 mph?

Thank you very much Carterk, I find the 28 mph hard to believe without you going back and actually riding one at 28 mph?
Right. Thing is, I was visiting my mom in Austin (I'm not there any longer). I don't plan to buy until this all shakes out- like next spring- if the Vado continues to have poor feedback from owners I'll probably buy the Giant Quick-e+.) All of which is to say... Court? What can you find out?

Back