The Experience of a Bicycle

Much like EVs versus Diesel Trucks…with the same distribution. Energy dense solid state will power all but the heavy duty large saws needed by Pro’s. I have a friend who is an ‘aerial arborist’ as he calls himself. He uses a Stilh electric now for his work off the ground. He says its lighter, safer, easier…saves him energy for the monster saw he uses on the ground.

I’m pretty sure electric chain saws won’t take over in the next ten years but will take over a big chunk of the market. They will probably dominate for the casual user who would buy a low dollar gas saw. When you get into larger wood and longer bars gas will continue to dominate. Would a battery saw cut 3 or 4 of these logs into rounds for firewood?
View attachment 140609
California is taking some leadership on this issue. Gas hand power tools, yard equipment, and small off road engines will be banned in 2024. Because the state is a huge market, this will incentivize leadership and innovation. We cannot afford to do the same old thing. Look a Buffalo, NY today. They are digging out from 6 feet of snow. Weird climate events are becoming normal because of the use of fossil fuels. It is not like we have a choice to choose stasis. We must change our behaviors. Also, lets all give the finger to Putin and the Saudis. They are not our friends. There is no future there.
1668908282802.jpeg

California is taking some leadership on this issue. Gas hand power tools, yard equipment, and small off road engines will be banned in 2024. Because the state is a huge market, this will incentivize leadership and innovation. We cannot afford to do the same old thing. Look a Buffalo, NY today. They are digging out from 6 feet of snow. Weird climate events are becoming normal because of the use of fossil fuels. It is not like we have a choice to choose stasis. We must change our behaviors. Also, lets all give the finger to Putin and the Saudis. They are not our friends. There is no future there.
View attachment 140610
Proud to be a Californian for many reasons, including this one.

Question is, should echainsaws have throttles?

Proud to be a Californian for many reasons, including this one.

Question is, should echainsaws have throttles?
They should have torque sensors! I can't wait to show who rode my bikes today. My friend Natalie it late in sending the images. It is left hand drive.

Attachments

• crankchainsaw.jpg
    crankchainsaw.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 104
A welding unit has clearly fallen into the wrong hands.
Left hands! Sthil waiting on photos. She is from the S. of France, Nice, where Mediterranean palms back the Alps. She never needs makeup, and smells like warm gingerbread when up close. That is her natural BO! And she is an avid cyclist who is 5'11", all legs. She is the opposite of a dolled up LA or Texan. Natural. Totally comfortable. Glows. There are no trans-cross-dressing gimmicks, it is all real. She is also smart and kind. I did my best to keep my cool for hours. Nature girls get me, especially the smart ones.

Left hands! Sthil waiting on photos. She is from the S. of France, Nice, where Mediterranean palms back the Alps. She never needs makeup, and smells like warm gingerbread when up close. That is her natural BO! And she is an avid cyclist who is 5'11", all legs. She is the opposite of a dolled up LA or Texan. Natural. Totally comfortable. Glows. There are no trans-cross-dressing gimmicks, it is all real. She is also smart and kind. I did my best to keep my cool for hours. Nature girls get me, especially the smart ones.
And Natalie witnessed all of this? You are sooooo in trouble, dude!

I've pretty much replaced my stuff too with electric; lawn mower, blower, weed whacker, and pole saw but in all cases went with corded. Way less expensive, more powerful, and I don't have to worry about dealing with worn out & very expensive batteries. When I feel like I need a new chainsaw I'll go corded with that too. Yes, dealing with extension cords is a bit of a pain but getting used to it. If I have to do stuff out of range I have an inverter generator that is light weight, fairly quiet, and produces enough power for any of those tools.
****, nobody is stocking or selling corded electric chain saws in my city. Battery yes, but I'm wary of patented batteries after a fleet of Ryobis went obsolete a year after I stocked up. I'm using 14" corded remington chainsaws I got at the charity resale, that have a plastic gear that wears out in an hour of use. Had to change the power switch on both. I have to change the worn bar & chain on those, and adapt a 15" Poulan bar to the remington mount by drilling a hole in it with a carbide drill.
I hate the noise & the continual carb problems on gas saws, refuse to buy one. Probably couldn't start an old one, I'm not strong enough. I've got a 2000 w inverter on my 22 hp diesel tractor, carry my Milwaukee sawzall (recip) everywhere on my 23 acres with a 50' cord. But you can only buy 11.5" blades for a sawzall. Slower than a chainsaw, too. **** cedar trees took over my NW field when I was allowing hay harvesters to "cut" my field. Drive the cutter around the middle they did, never closer than 20' to any fence or tree. I chopped a few cedar trees down with an ax, but a sawzall is 10 times faster than that.

Last edited:
****, nobody is stocking or selling corded electric chain saws in my city. Battery yes, but I'm wary of patented batteries after a fleet of Ryobis went obsolete a year after I stocked up. I'm using 14" corded remington chainsaws I got at the charity resale, that have a plastic gear that wears out in an hour of use. Had to change the power switch on both. I have to change the worn bar & chain on those, and adapt a 15" Poulan bar to the remington mount by drilling a hole in it with a carbide drill.
I hate the noise & the continual carb problems on gas saws, refuse to buy one. Probably couldn't start an old one, I'm not strong enough. I've got a 2000 w inverter on my 22 hp diesel tractor, carry my Milwaukee sawzall (recip) everywhere on my 23 acres with a 50' cord. But you can only buy 11.5" blades for a sawzall. Slower than a chainsaw, too. **** cedar trees took over my NW field when I was allowing hay harvesters to "cut" my field. Drive the cutter around the middle they did, never closer than 20' to any fence or tree. I chopped a few cedar trees down with an ax, but a sawzall is 10 times faster than that.
Ijust donated an industrial quality corded saw to Habitat Restore. I had it for 30 years. A simple search reveals nearly every quality chainsaw maker has a plug in version.

View attachment 140610
Love that left coast!

I’m pretty sure electric chain saws won’t take over in the next ten years
I dunno, those lithium battery “generators” large powerful power packs are getting cheaper and more common. Am LiFePo4 power pack can provide an incredible punch and recharge several THOUSAND times. I’m thinking I’ll be dirt napping first but were I still young and investing rather than spending I’d stick some serious dollars into a couple of bourgeoning tech companies. I’m to busy making sure it’s spent just now…

I'm feeling like a dinosaur.
I feel like I'm in noodle doodle crazy-land.

I'm sick of people who have local shops they can/would buy from and trust acting like everyone has a choice of dozens of them in every town, when for many of us it's a two hour round trip at minimum.

I'm sick of people who act like bicycle infrastructure is everywhere. Or who are shocked when I say riding on the sidewalk is illegal and we have no real bike lanes here.

I'm sick of people who don't even realize their social status acting like having a bike collection that combined is worth more than both my family's cars put together is "normal" or "within reach if you work hard"

I'm also sick of the assclowns who seem to talk about "high speeds" that are slower than I was when I was 100 pounds heavier on a crappy, steel framed, non-motorized $250 three speed internal hub beach cruiser that had nothing more than a coaster brake for stopping. People acting like 15mph is fast need a boot up their ass.

I'm sick of pretentious know-it-all jackasses -- who actually don't seem to know diddly squat, apart from parroting propaganda and obvious lies -- flipping out because nubes are daring to ask questions or have opinions and ideas that differ from the "echo chamber norm". Much less occasionally bringing in new information that DARES to contradict the popularist BS peddled by marketers, propagandists and the bandwagon mentality. Emphasis on the "mental"

I'm sick of fools who seem to think that just having a throttle is magically some sort of "evil". Or worse equates speed, particularly when on most bikes (in my limited experience) the top speed on throttle is two-thirds (or less) that of pedaling with assist.

But what I'm getting really sick of are self centered egotists on all sides of the discussion thinking that just because what they own means nobody else should be allowed to own something different of differing capabilities.

You're happy with what you own, fine. Don't act like a total jackass just because people have different needs, live in different places, or might actually ride places -- like 50mph+ speed limit main roads with zero space allocated for bikes -- where going 30+ isn't a danger to anyone, and if anything makes for a SAFER ride because you're not as much in the way.

Or assuming that just because the bike can do 20+ means the people owning them are barreling down trails shared with pedestrians at unsafe speeds.

At which point you might as well make all cars in America illegal if they can go faster than the 20-30mph found in school zones.

I feel like I'm in noodle doodle crazy-land.

I'm sick of people who have local shops they can/would buy from and trust acting like everyone has a choice of dozens of them in every town, when for many of us it's a two hour round trip at minimum.

I'm sick of people who act like bicycle infrastructure is everywhere. Or who are shocked when I say riding on the sidewalk is illegal and we have no real bike lanes here.

I'm sick of people who don't even realize their social status acting like having a bike collection that combined is worth more than both my family's cars put together is "normal" or "within reach if you work hard"

I'm also sick of the assclowns who seem to talk about "high speeds" that are slower than I was when I was 100 pounds heavier on a crappy, steel framed, non-motorized $250 three speed internal hub beach cruiser that had nothing more than a coaster brake for stopping. People acting like 15mph is fast need a boot up their ass.

I'm sick of pretentious know-it-all jackasses -- who actually don't seem to know diddly squat, apart from parroting propaganda and obvious lies -- flipping out because nubes are daring to ask questions or have opinions and ideas that differ from the "echo chamber norm". Much less occasionally bringing in new information that DARES to contradict the popularist BS peddled by marketers, propagandists and the bandwagon mentality. Emphasis on the "mental"

I'm sick of fools who seem to think that just having a throttle is magically some sort of "evil". Or worse equates speed, particularly when on most bikes (in my limited experience) the top speed on throttle is two-thirds (or less) that of pedaling with assist.

But what I'm getting really sick of are self centered egotists on all sides of the discussion thinking that just because what they own means nobody else should be allowed to own something different of differing capabilities.

You're happy with what you own, fine. Don't act like a total jackass just because people have different needs, live in different places, or might actually ride places -- like 50mph+ speed limit main roads with zero space allocated for bikes -- where going 30+ isn't a danger to anyone, and if anything makes for a SAFER ride because you're not as much in the way.

Or assuming that just because the bike can do 20+ means the people owning them are barreling down trails shared with pedestrians at unsafe speeds.

At which point you might as well make all cars in America illegal if they can go faster than the 20-30mph found in school zones.
Physician heal thyself. Everything you're accusing others of you are taking it to another level with the personal insults.

You know what I'm sick of? Seeing people called a jackass, stupid, evil. This post does nothing to foster informative dialogue.

There are three different models of corded chainsaws at my local Home Depot plus several more that can be ordered through them as well as plenty on Amazon. I've had good luck with my corded lawn mower, blower, weed whacker, and pole saw. I have various cordless power tools. Of three cordless drills only one still works but my Makita corded drill, which is older, less expensive,& more powerful than all three, still works like new.

And now, for something completely different......

I think it was that time I just wanted to break out the gas powered chain saw to cut some downed tree limbs. So I break out the chain saw and after about 100 pulls and no start, the reality of a ruined fuel system due to alcohol in our gas set it. The long term remedy for that is to buy and use the synthetic, high octane fuels that are out there, such as True Fuel or VP's fuels. Since going to them, no problems whatsoever with my Homelite chain saw or Stihl weedwhacker.

But there is another alternative that, although may not be the right choice for an older person or one with alot of big trees to cut into 16 inch lengths suitable for firewood.....and that alternative are the Japanese hand saws by Silky. For years, I've been using a japanese pull-saw on my backyard boat build project and I figured, with a thousand years plus of refinement, the japanese have figured out the science of handsaws and blade teeth, to a tee. For riding on my local canal trail, I picked up a cheapo japanese style hand saw from Harbor Freight. At under 10 bucks, it was well worth it.

100_2625.JPG

100_2626.JPG

After using the Harbor Freight saw, I wanted the real deal and found alot of great reviews by trail maintainers using the Silky Big Boy 2000.

100_2645.JPG

100_2646.JPG

It features a 14.5 inch long, folding blade and it's perfect for bringing along a trail ride where there might be a downed tree limb or small tree along the trail that needs removal. No carbs to foul with alcohol. No need to pull a starting rope 2-300 times in vain. Just unfold and cut away. But do not hit soil with it for you will dull the cutting edge. And for God's sake, do not cut yourself, cause it will likely be a serious, deep cut. It really is that sharp. Link: https://silkysaws.com/silky-bigboy-2000-folding-saw/

I've since went on to buying their 500mm long (20 inch long) Katana Boy for cutting medium sized trees and limbs. At 225 dollars, it's not bad for a chainsaw-competitive cutting tool. Link: https://silkysaws.com/silky-katanaboy-500-folding-saw/

I saw this one on youtube a few years ago, the Katana Boy Professional 1000 mm (39.4 inch long blade!) At a thousand dollars, this is a beyond-serious, high end cutting saw. Link: https://silkysaws.com/katanaboy-professional-1000mm-folding-saw/

Back