The Experience of a Bicycle

As a manager of 30+ years I could tell he underbid by the look on his face.
Impossible to have surmised from your post, but yes I'd agree he deserves to be paid well. I didn't catch the bid was $500. That's odd. The overhead for a tree care company is massive I many states industrial worker insurance costs are the highest of any industry. On par with miners. Hard, costly, dangerous, and underrated work. Well beyond the scope of a single yahoo with a chainsaw.

T here are backpacks for them.. Remember, you need to take gas, oil, wedges, chain, axe, etc. also.
My favorite picture of a falling job in real timber. The two fallers always had work even during the hard times because they are good. They gave me lots of tips. One of them does carry a chainsaw on his dirt bike when he starts riding trails in the spring. I think he just straps it on the back of the dirt bike.
fellandbuck.JPG

My job was to stumble through this stuff and make sure all was kosher. This was easy ground.

In the Venn diagram of serious ebike and chainsaw users, never would have imagined so much overlap. But if that means more echainsaws in our future, I'm all for it!

PS: Should I get an echainsaw with a hub motor or a mid-drive? Torque-sensing goes without saying.

Last edited:
I have a friend who has a tree farm and was awarded an E saw. She says it is the perfect little saw for old people. When the battery dies, you are tired. No yanking on a starter cord (my personal most hated part of a chainsaw) and no earplugs.

Here's what's left of a tree felled by a big saw by a local guy who does saw training sessions and certifies Forest Service C fallers (the big trees). The tree was a snag that was along one of the main roads in the area. Diameter was 11 feet. I looked at it afterwards and he had two meticulously cleared escape routes, of which one was used. Have seen a video, not on youtube, of the falling of it and he did have his hardhat fall off.

escaperoute20001.JPG

I have ridden my bike by here. :)

It didn’t look like that big of tree in the first pic but it’s hard to say without someone standing next to it.

Well I’m an old person so maybe that’s why I have an E-saw, and an overhead pruner that shares the battery and charger. My gasoline dinosaur seldom sees the light of day anymore on the farm. The 12” saw is very powerful, nimble, light and quiet. And the pruner!!! I did get a smaller e-Stilh (9” I believe) for my lady friend who loves it. I’m quite sure this is the future. Solid state batteries will push out all ICE saws by the end of the decade.
1668890828301.jpeg

I've pretty much replaced my stuff too with electric; lawn mower, blower, weed whacker, and pole saw but in all cases went with corded. Way less expensive, more powerful, and I don't have to worry about dealing with worn out & very expensive batteries. When I feel like I need a new chainsaw I'll go corded with that too. Yes, dealing with extension cords is a bit of a pain but getting used to it. If I have to do stuff out of range I have an inverter generator that is light weight, fairly quiet, and produces enough power for any of those tools.

The picture didn't look like that big of a job. How big was the tree actually?
That picture wasn't the entire job. It just happened to be when I got home from work I snagged a picture. My Mother was home the entire time. She said they knocked out 80% of it in an hour but the last two stumps gave them some trouble. The hill was near vertical where the tree grew. The tree was just over 45 feet tall.

Last edited:
No yanking on a starter cord (my personal most hated part of a chainsaw) and no earplugs.

The 12” saw is very powerful, nimble, light and quiet.
I'd pay attention to the sound level. Relative to a gas powered saw, they are very quiet.

I have a Huskvarna electric (120v) chain saw and still use earing protection as I do with every battery (or plug in) hand tool except drills and weed eater.

Full disclosure, I only use hearing protection if the hand tool job is more than 15 minutes or so on and off; gas chain saw is always.

It didn’t look like that big of tree in the first pic but it’s hard to say without someone standing next to it.
Yeah honestly I thought the same thing , I thought I could do the tree myself with my neighbor. But after watching them use a ton of heavy equipment for the last portion it was definitely humbling. Even the owner who came out to quote the bid said they'd knock it out in about an hour tops. The pictures don't do it justice , he did measure the tree from end to end it was just shy of 45 feet. The picture with the car it looks like the car is father away but it's much closer in person to the tree. That could give you a clue to it's size. The stump they picked up actually almost flipped the tractor picking it up. That picture I took the dozer almost flipped off the back. The hill is steeper than it looks on photos.
The owner ran over to take control of the last stump which they're recycling into lumber. They chipped about 80% of the tree.

Impossible to have surmised from your post, but yes I'd agree he deserves to be paid well. I didn't catch the bid was $500. That's odd. The overhead for a tree care company is massive I many states industrial worker insurance costs are the highest of any industry. On par with miners. Hard, costly, dangerous, and underrated work. Well beyond the scope of a single yahoo with a chainsaw.
I did end up tipping him. Quite a nice kid TBH. $500 to me is not a lot but I respect for some people it is for sure. He's quite popular in this area and came recommended from neighbors in the area.

^ And now you know why He’s well thought of
I do use ear protection simply because I generally have them on for the tractor. Electric Cords would not work on the farm, and my little lawn and road frontage is done by the Mexican next door who has a lawn care business. He does things gratis and I occasionally lend him the tractor which he takes care of because he wants to buy it

I’m pretty sure electric chain saws won’t take over in the next ten years but will take over a big chunk of the market. They will probably dominate for the casual user who would buy a low dollar gas saw. When you get into larger wood and longer bars gas will continue to dominate. Would a battery saw cut 3 or 4 of these logs into rounds for firewood?
ADAB0CC5-059D-4AA0-8C18-7EB2514EFB34.jpeg

Last edited:
Back