The Experience of a Bicycle

Since you like them so much, another watermelon perhaps? ;)
I had two small ones on my bike. They were the "personal" sized melons. But I seldom find a tasty one. Give me the Hermiston melons please. I had excellent luck picking out good ones this year, but alas, the season is short. A Hermiston melon is a few days of eating for me.

They come from the Hermiston, OR area. It's kind of like eating Walla Walla Sweet Onions, a regional thing.

This causes a social problem. Kids eating seedless melons that taste somewhat like a raw potato never learn to spit. Oh, the melons of my youth. You could put them in a creek to chill for a picnic. Someone said that poached melons taste best. Guadalupe raccoons devastated the entire watermelon crop of an entire island by poaching them. They just scooped out the goodness.

Two small melons? hmmm me thinks a 'different kind' of fruit 😁
On a side note we used to eat watermelon by our pool and spit out the seeds in the grass.The next year we had watermelons growing next to the pool.

I had two small ones on my bike. They were the "personal" sized melons. But I seldom find a tasty one. Give me the Hermiston melons please. I had excellent luck picking out good ones this year, but alas, the season is short. A Hermiston melon is a few days of eating for me.
I like the fact that they take up less room in the fridge. Speaking of which, my wife grew this Japanese variety from seed until they reached full maturity stage in her greenhouse. I couldn’t believe how sweet they were.

P8162521.JPGP8202522.JPG

One of the best experiences I have on bicycle was when one of my daughters was living in Maui and I went for a visit. Rather than just sitting around and barbecuing I went on a guided bicycle tour of Haleakala Volcano you are driven to the top 10000 feet of elevation very early to witness the most spectacular sunrise. Then your group will ride downhill approximately 20 miles to a town called Makawao where the scenery just takes you back in time and the local foods are amazingly delicious very satisfying. The daiquiris made with island brewed rum are some of the best.
If I have to do it all over again it will be on an ebike I would ride up enjoying the fantastic views then ride down as fast as my bike could possibly go.

What a sunrise! Biking anywhere in Hawaii -- especially the Big Island -- is on my bucket list. Been there several times, but bicycles didn't fit in for various reasons. Would also love to return to Moorea (first island west of Tahiti) and ebike the the perimeter road and the peaks.

When I lived in Maui from 91-02 I spent a great deal of that time with only a bicycle as transportation. Since I worked at the Hyatt I could bike there from where I lived.

I just use watermelon skin gift wrap on my boxes.

Attachments

• WatermelonSkin.jpg
    WatermelonSkin.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 98
:eek:Good land man. Would BF, bos faeces, make it better for you? :rolleyes:

And yes unquestionably arrogant. You could always be like Mikes, and fill your ignore list…
Are you always this abrasive and bitter?? At least Stefan is interesting and personable. I enjoy his stories and pictures. You on the other hand come across as a foul mouthed, nasty and bitter old man. A botanist that seems to think that he is an expert in matters of engineering. Your opinions are often laughable. Your are incredibly arrogant and self entitled. If you don’t like a post, you call the poster names and use profanity. If a law doesn’t work for you, you label it as idiotic and you will just do as you please, so please, ignore me and anyone that thinks that you are just a bitter old man. The list will be long and a badge of honor. Take your ball and run home. I won’t ignore anyone, (not even you).

Last edited:
At least Stefan is interesting and personable.
Arrogance makes you and Mikes interesting bedfellows. You two and your narrow judgemental views of what constitutes an eBike is laughable. Evangelical approaches to your chosen eBikes make you the fools. I have no bones with specialized. No more than i have with Apple. Regardless of their denying the right to repair I have most of their products. Were i young, to dumb to value my dollars, able, and as narrow minded i might have fallen for the bos faeces like you two. Pity the poor fools thst support your views with likes and then ride the very bikes you two demean. Too funny.

Bicycle tour companies provides it, no need to bring your personal bike.
There's probably a lot more bike rental places in the islands than there were 20 years ago. The only one I saw was on Maui and that was to climb the volcano and scream down the mountain side. We didn't actually spend much time in the cities when we were there to notice other rental spots.

I have been totally unsuccessful in growing watermelons. The plants bloom, but do not pollinate until late August. By then, it is too late. The same with cantaloupes. No fancy shaped ones for me.

Hmmm, it is 32 degrees F out and I'm kinda sorta thinking about trying to ride to a store....but I think of the patches of ice still on the road in places.

Back