The differences are?.....

What are differences (if any) from an erad mid drive kit and a Bafang kit?
An e-rad kit is a rebranded Bafang kit. According to lectric cycles, they had Bafang add a port to plug in the optional gear change sensor which lectric cycles currently have a monopoly supply. Bafang also modified the firmware to support the gear change sensor - with other gear change solutions out there, like a "clutch" button on the handle bars, there is a relatively long delay after cutting the power to change gear before power is restored - it's annoying. Those other solutions all take up a brake sensor port too.

The newer e-rad kits will have new mosfets in the controller too but according to em3ev, these are now going to be standard in all new Bafang kits - it will take some time for these to work through the supply chain though.

E-rad has some other custom firmware tweaks too.

In my opinion, the only meaningful difference, is the gear sensor which no one else comes close to providing in these mid-drive kits. For you that may not be a big enough deal to accept the extra cost - for me, that's lived with a BBS02 without it and mangled a chain as a result, if I buy a BBS02 again, it will be with a gear sensor.

Interesting. I was contemplating one of those "clutch buttons" from em3ev. Ive also read about using break lever judiciously to cut motor while shifting, but I suspect the same delay in that method. I honestly cant see using 3-4 gears at most, I dont have that kind of terrain here. But if I carry the bike to someplace that does, different story. Thanks for the info!

Interesting. I was contemplating one of those "clutch buttons" from em3ev. Ive also read about using break lever judiciously to cut motor while shifting, but I suspect the same delay in that method. I honestly cant see using 3-4 gears at most, I dont have that kind of terrain here. But if I carry the bike to someplace that does, different story. Thanks for the info!

I've tried the "brake" method (I have the generic sensors on my hydraulic brakes) but it's not intuitive for me at all. It was much simpler to get used to stop peddling/throttling before the shift but that's far from ideal.

Back