The Best EBike Tire(s)

I just bought two Marathon Plus tires to replace the Schwalbe Fat Franks on my Pedego Platinum Interceptor. I haven't mounted them yet since I'm waiting for the Schwalbe "Downhill" 13D heavy duty tubes to arrive. I plan to add Slime to the Tubes as an added precaution.

My first impression of the Marathon's is they are twice as heavy and have 3 times the tread thickness as the Fat Franks. They are also much stiffer and will likely give a rougher ride. I'm hoping to compensate by running a lower tire pressure. The tires with the 13D tubes filled with Slime will add about 2 pounds of weight per tire. This would have been a consideration if I were using them on a conventional bike but it likely won't be noticed on the e-bike.

I'll post additional information as soon as I get them out on the trail.

So I put this Continental Contact Plus, ( (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) ) on the rear of my CCS about 1500 miles ago. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus seems to be a favorite on this site for ebikes. This Conti tire offers everything the Marathon does at about 40% less cost.
So far I have been very pleased with the performance of the tire. FWIW, the Kenda tires that came stock on the CCS are great tires. I am still running it on the front, it looks like it will go well over 10,000 miles on the front. (5000 on it now; rear was replaced at ~3500 miles).

@Chris Hammond That conti is a great looking road tire but it appears to lack the more separated, aggressive side tread of the Marathons that make them reasonably capable on non-paved trails and gravel...this is a guess based on appearance.

So I put this Continental Contact Plus, ( (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) ) on the rear of my CCS about 1500 miles ago. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus seems to be a favorite on this site for ebikes. This Conti tire offers everything the Marathon does at about 40% less cost.
So far I have been very pleased with the performance of the tire. FWIW, the Kenda tires that came stock on the CCS are great tires. I am still running it on the front, it looks like it will go well over 10,000 miles on the front. (5000 on it now; rear was replaced at ~3500 miles).

Those same Conti tires came stock on my Elby S1 I purchased a few months back and I was prepared to change them to Marathon Plus but I like them so well I've left them on. So far no flat (they have protection) and they handle better in the wet, not that the Marathons are bad, and as you say they cost a lot less.

Maybe I'm a minority here, but I switched my Juiced bike's stock Kenda tire to Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

The grip is not good especially in the rain. Apparently other members here have noticed the similar effect.
Maybe it is due to less contact patch (The Marathon Plus is very pointy) and harder tire compound.

Just yesterday, my Schwalbe Marathon Plus blew up.
I was on my way to take my final exam and there's a (approximately) 15 step stair on the campus and when I finished riding down the stairs I noticed that I got a flat tire.

I thought maybe I needed a new tube but it was actually the tire that gave up.
On the side wall, it had this balloon effect and tube was actually partially out. I was like.. what the heck I have never seen this before, and I have owned a few mountain bikes in my childhood and never had a ballooned tire.

I've only had this tire for like a month.. and it's already done. No, I did not change my riding/commuting habit.
I have broken 3 spokes on my Juiced, and my old Kenda tires were fine for whole time.

Honestly, I am a bit disappointed with Schwalbe Marathon Plus. (I do like the reflective stripe though)

I totally understand I'd be the minority by saying this, because I know many reputable ebike manufactures use Schwalbe Marathon Plus, and I know many members like the tire.. maybe I bought a lemon or bad luck.
But in my personal experience, right off the bat I was a little disappointed with the tire due to low grip. (Yes I know, some members told me "Since when did Schwalbe say the Marathon Plus was a rain tire?")

To answer your question, No. I will subjectively say this is not the best tire.
Perhaps the tire should be replaced under warranty. Although broken spokes and the damaged tire may have been caused by riding your bike down those 15 steps;).

For paved roads the best would be the Specialized Electrak 2.0 (50$/piece) . I tried the Schwalbe’s/ Conti’s , the 1st had the rear wheel thread gone after 600miles. Conti’s are too narrow. A 700x48 is close to a 42.
I’m getting a pair of Schwalbe Ice breaker Studded tired for winter .

My wife's bike with Schwalbe marathon plus front tire developed a sidewall bubble the size of a golf ball within the first 50mi. Replaced under warranty. It
was not over inflated and she didn't hit anything

Last edited:
@Chris Hammond That conti is a great looking road tire but it appears to lack the more separated, aggressive side tread of the Marathons that make them reasonably capable on non-paved trails and gravel...this is a guess based on appearance.
Hmm? What Marathons are you thinking of?
When I look at pictures of Continental Contact Plus and Schwalbe Marathon Plus I don”t see much of a difference in side thread.

Back