The Best EBike Tire(s)

There are three different styles of Marathon Plus tires.

HS 440
_detail_marathonplus-cut_0.jpg

Tour HS 404
_detail_MarathonPlusTour-Cut.jpg

MTB HS 468
detail.jpg

Just bought the Schwalbe Marathon Plus for my Giant dirt E+2. had the supreme versions but have had 3 punctures in the last month.

Seems to me that most of the suggested tires are mainly obsolete tires originally designed / intended for traditional bikes. When you have the power of a electric bike it seems to me the tires should be wider and heavier for better contact patch, improved comfort, and dramatically improved puncture resistance and thread depth for longer life (sadly the bean counters at the tire companies will force the designers to keep tread depth shallow so they wear out faster because most bean counters don't ever think outside their box). Tires like Schwalbe Moto X and the Pireli Cycl-e (currently only available for the new Stromer ST5) are the future of ebike tires.

Seems to me that most of the suggested tires are mainly obsolete tires originally designed / intended for traditional bikes. When you have the power of a electric bike it seems to me the tires should be wider and heavier for better contact patch, improved comfort, and dramatically improved puncture resistance and thread depth for longer life (sadly the bean counters at the tire companies will force the designers to keep tread depth shallow so they wear out faster because most bean counters don't ever think outside their box). Tires like Schwalbe Moto X and the Pireli Cycl-e (currently only available for the new Stromer ST5) are the future of ebike tires.
Well that is exciting.

How far do you commute each day? Roads or trails? What are the road surfaces like? How wide a tire can your bike handle? Do you have a front or full suspension or a seat post suspension? The best advice as to the best tire depends on all these factors.
Dont forget to factor the weather where you live. If you live in Arizona you probably want different tires than if you live in the Pacific Northwest .

I've biked 56 miles on the CCX to date and have no complaints with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus:100_3458.JPG100_3457 - Copy.JPG
The tires are excellent on paved roadway.

Well that is exciting.

I guess I was wondering why the thread was so focused on narrow sub-2" wide tires when the question was about the best ebike tires (I assumed we were discussing road / commute tires and not mtn bike tires which can be very specialized for every kind of trail and conditions). The narrow touring and road tires are OK for ebikes but I just tend to think that it makes sense to have wider tires on ebikes even when riding primarily on paved streets and sidewalks - they provide better handling, more comfort, and more puncture resistance. I thought it was great that Kenda announced at Interbike that their Kwicks would be available in 27.5 and 29 diameters in 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, and 3.0 widths. No that selection is clearly targeting commuting ebikes but I did notice the tread depths are still a bit shallow so my guess is they'll only last about 2,000 miles when they should easily achieve 5,000 miles before needing to be replaced. Tire companies need to think of ebike street tires in the context of transportation, not worrying about shaving a few grams for racers.

Do you mean something like these; https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/marathon_supreme
Mine have done 6,000+ kms and still have life left in them

Those seem like great tires but still limited to a max width of 2". I would like to see Schwalbe produce an even more robust version of a tire like this in both 27.5 and 29 diameters and in widths over 2" (say from 2" to 3"). Something almost like a DOT grade tire for high speed ebikes. I think that was the intent of the Pirelli Cycl-e tire based on what I've read but no information exists on it's construction (at least I haven't seen it yet but I have ridden the Stromer ST5 and the tires are wonderful.

I've so far stuck with the stock tires (well, I've replaced tires on both the Interceptor (Fat Franks) and Charger (Rock Razor)) without many complaints.

I am considering replacing the Rock Razors with WTB Riddlers largely based on conversations with my gravel-riding friends. I'd probably get the Tough/Fast Rolling versions and pair them with a tire liner since they lack the kevlar lining that the Rock Razors have. Those aren't an "e-bike" tire but they do have a great rep.

I'm running Maxxis Hookworms on my 29" x 3" wheel set. The Hookworms are 29" x 2.5" and are a really great choice for commuter e-bikes I think. With thick tread and sidewalls they run really quiet and have low rolling resistance @ 60 PSI.

I'm running Maxxis Hookworms on my 29" x 3" wheel set. The Hookworms are 29" x 2.5" and are a really great choice for commuter e-bikes I think. With thick tread and sidewalls they run really quiet and have low rolling resistance @ 60 PSI.

These look great - I'm finding my options are a bit limited as I'm on 27.5

Schwalbe Super Moto-X and the Maxxis Hookworm work best for me on harder/smoother surfaces. Off road...the Maxxis DHR II on the rear and DHF on the front.

Schwalbe G-One Speed, no question. Fast, cushy, light, supple. Buy them from Germany, much cheaper.

Marathon + is heavy, narrow, low grip, stiff.

Back