Tern Vektron P8 vs D8...

Bubba zanetti

Region
Canada
City
Trail, BC
Looking at these two as a shared road bike with my wife. I may be cross eyed just now, from over researching options.
These are both Bafang drives, so what is the, in Canada, $700 difference?

New member, just outside Trail BC.

I just looked over the differences between the P8 and D8 ... good question. I can't justify the $700 difference either.

Looking at the specs the accessories appear to suggest D8 is aimed at commuters, vs P9 for cargo or child carrying & sharing between Mom & Dad: the D8 has a single-rail klik-fix compatible rear rack and a rear mounted one-side kickstand, whereas the P9 has a dual-rail cargo rack with both klik-fix and Yepp child seat windows rated to carry 55lb and a dual-leg center-mounted kickstand. D8 has a simple one-piece seatpost and fits riders 5'3"-6'5", whereas the P9 is a better fit for sharing between tall and shorter riders with its telescoping two-piece seatpost suitable for riders 4'10"-6'5".

Last edited:
So do you think it justifies an additional $700? Seems a bit steep to me.
It comes down to how you intend to use it, if you don't need the extra features because you don't intend to carry a child on the back or share the bike with a short person you should be fine with the D8, The extra features of the P9 would better suit parents, particularly that dual rail heavy duty rack that would allow fitting both a child seat and panniers to carry a diaper bag and kid stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the feedback. Found a nice red P9 on sale. Only $300 more. The features mentioned above made it an obvious choice. First ebike. It is ostensibly for my wife, but we will take it in our Westfalia and share. Now to decide on a bike for me!

In Trail, BC, you seem to be surrounded by mountains! Maybe consider an eMTB, gravel bike, or cargo bike, that uses the same Bosch battery as the HSD and maybe the higher torque Bosch CX motor

Last edited:
In Trail, BC, you seem to be surrounded by mountains! Maybe consider an eMTB, gravel bike, or cargo bike, that uses the same Bosch battery as the HSD and maybe the higher torque Bosch CX motor
Yes. Lots and long hills around here. I’m narrowed down to Giant, Rize RX and Bixtrix And the new Zen, which has yet to go to prototype fully My budget is under $4k.
Heading to Nelson to check the Giant out.

But going to need a fair bit of power for my size.

Got the Tern yesterday. Less than 2 days shipping from Vancouver to the Kootenay’s. Beautiful bike!
Controller screen is damaged.
366CE0C0-A164-41D7-B1B4-3FE6AE725863.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry about the damaged display, fortunately it’s a plug and play item covered under your warranty, hopefully Tern will quickly send your replacement

Back