TÉO EBR Review - good one.

Hey @Court, could I suggest you mention the $2.2K price is in Canadian dollars, at today's rate its more like $1725 USD.

You may have mentioned it, but I could not see it.

I suspect many will think it's over priced....

Court really did a great job on the video and the written review. Here's the link to the written review to save some clicks. There's more information about the bike than you will find on the Teo website.:rolleyes: At least for now;)

You noticed it too. Good info. It's also nice to see one of us
Yes for sure. I could have saved days of asking questions and Stephane a few therapy sessions for having to answer all of us if Court would have done this review a few months ago.:D

Also I'd like to thank you @Denis Shelston for posting this. I had no idea Court was going to be doing a review this quickly. I think the entire video (coming to Vancouver Island, the ferry ride (beautiful BC ferries) getting to meet Patrick and seeing his stomping grounds(just flat out gorgeous riding area), testing the bike, the whole thing is just great! Thanks as well to Court!

Did I mention I think the review was great?

Yes for sure. I could have saved days of asking questions and Stephane a few therapy sessions for having to answer all of us if Court would have done this rev....

Speaking of Stéphane... He's been very quiet of late, did we wear him out?

From the review, I've learned...
- The wheels, good design
- The front and rear spokes, number of them and sizes/diameter
- the seat handle... I use it all the time to lift my bike, will be cautious now
- the pedals are better than average
- the pedal cranks/arms? are well sized
- I guess the front axle could be bigger / stronger
- the brake discs diameter could have been larger
- the 9 speed derailleur is a good model from Shimano, a few notches above the rest
- the rear rack is very well designed and attached well to the frame.
- the chain sprocket/guard works well.
- fenders are steel and could rust
- its a big and heavy bike

Gee, did I ever make a great purchase. Very thankful.

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks for the compliments. I read a post bemoaning the lack of a review and I agreed with it. I had contacted Court and asked about a review and he said he was coming out this way in a few weeks, so, of course, the logical thing to do is offer to let him test my Teo S Fat Bike and don't tell anyone about it so it's a pleasant surprise for the esteemed members on the Teo forum. :)

I really enjoyed meeting Court. He's a really cool, nice, decent guy with a great attitude and smarts. Very pleasant to be around and knowledegable about anything bike related. We had a great visit, with the only caveat being that it was too short. We planned on checking out a great local Chinese buffet but time for catching the next ferry back for him was just a little too tight. Next time! :)

If the review inspires you to order a Teo Fat Bike or Teo S, here's my link to the Teo website. I'll get a small commission, which I appreciate very much. Thank You. Really it's about spreading the word what a great bike the Teo is. I'm very happy with mine and want everyone to be as happy as I am!
https://teofatbike.com/boutique/index.php?route=common/home&tracking=59305d1c8d490

From the review, I've learned...
- The wheels, good design
- The front and rear spokes, number of them and sizes/diameter
- the seat handle... I use it all the time to lift my bike, will be cautious now
- the pedals are better than average
- the pedal cranks/arms? are well sized
- I guess the front axle could be bigger / stronger
- the brake discs diameter could have been larger
- the 9 speed derailleur is a good model from Shimano, a few notches above the rest
- the rear rack is very well designed and attached well to the frame.
- the chain sprocket/guard works well.
- fenders are steel and could rust
- its a big and heavy bike

Gee, did I ever make a great purchase. Very thankful.
I was pretty sure that I had seen 180 mm specified as the disc diameter on the Teo website. I just checked again, not all bikes show the disc diameter but those that do show 180 mm. Either Court eyeballed the diameter incorrectly or Benoit has an error on his website.

Pretty sure the Teo has 160's. Maybe the 2018 Teo's come with 180mm and that's one of the upgrades? The Teo site could be wrong. I think they are trying to clean it up but imo it still needs a lot of work. It also states the large limited is 30 kg and we now know that's not correct. If the 2018's do come with 180mm that would be a nice upgrade!

Pretty sure the Teo has 160's. Maybe the 2018 Teo's come with 180mm and that's one of the upgrades? The Teo site could be wrong. I think they are trying to clean it up but imo it still needs a lot of work. It also states the large limited is 30 kg and we now know that's not correct. If the 2018's do come with 180mm that would be a nice upgrade!
I agree, the Teo site does need a lot of cleanup. I checked your post about your new Luna shock and noticed that you didn't mention any issues mounting your brake caliper. The Luna site doesn't mention what size discs the fork is designed for but the blog that they link on their site says it is designed for 160 mm disc. So it would seem likely that the Teo website is incorrect or the new bikes are upgraded.

I agree, the Teo site does need a lot of cleanup. I checked your post about your new Luna shock and noticed that you didn't mention any issues mounting your brake caliper. The Luna site doesn't mention what size discs the fork is designed for but the blog that they link on their site says it is designed for 160 mm disc. So it would seem likely that the Teo website is incorrect or the new bikes are upgraded.
Correct. The Luna are designed for a 160mm rotor and the 2017 Teo disc brakes bolted on with no adapter needed. That would be a nice upgrade for the 2018 even if it was just the front rotor:)

Those are good points. I just checked a revised Teo site and it's very confusing, still. Different info for same bike in different colours...

I really would like to understand the 500 and 750W differences... Could they be the same, just unlocked?

Honestly I think all the Teo's have the same motor. It just doesnt make sense to me that they couldn't be. An easy way to check is to go for a ride and do a couple tests with someone with a 2016 or 2018. See if they are comparable.
Stephane test rode the 2017 Teo,(500w) and I don't recall him saying that it felt underpowered compared to his bike which has the 750w. I do remember him saying it felt like it took off much better than the voltbike 750, which is derated for Canada customers.

I really don't know enough about the rules and regulations governing ebikes in Canada but it just seems kind of strange that Teo was 750, then 500, and now 750 again. I dont belive the boxes are opened up before shipping out to customers, and some bikes went to the US where they don't have the 500w restriction if I'm correct? So how are the bikes controllers getting limited or not with the output to the motor?

Anyways.....Im a pretty heavy guy, and my Teo which is supposedly a 500w, has gobs of power. I'm quite happy with it.

What is the rad rover rated at? @Dan Edwards has a 500w Teo and a rad rover. Maybe if he reads this he can comment if the rad has more power than the 2017 Teo.

You know the good side of this is if our bikes have been derated to 500w and they have a 750w motor, we be havin some fun when we unlock them!;)

Since I bring mine to Arizona every winter, when I bought mine I asked Benoit if I could get it 'unlocked to US specs', he said no problem. I also confirmed when picked it up. 750W is what I'm supposed to have.

Yet, the box was unopened, sealed at the manufacturing plant, so to this day I still wonder... But like you, at 225 I feel I have all the power I need. That's one of the reason I'd love to see the Watts put out by the motor. The Rad shows it on its LCD.

A Cycle Analyst from Grin Tech in BC is the cat's meow, but am not sure how to wire it to our bike... And my cockpit area is pretty full already ;) eventually someone will take a Téo apart so we can see it all.

I think Court mentions @Jazzcat 's Téo is 73 lbs so that would be 33 kg, not too far out at 30. Given the size of the bike, steel fenders, rack and big battery, it makes sense.

The Walk mode sure does come in handy on occasion. :eek:

Back