Tell Us About Your Commute.

First day taking the bike path. It is a beautiful ride. It follows the Great Miami River into Hamilton Ohio where I work. It was a really Zen experience getting to work without the hassles of traffic for the last 5 miles of my commute. Check out the pic of the bridge. It has to be one of the sturdiest bridges for a bike path ever.
I've ridden on and canoed next to that trail by the Great Miami. You're right, it's a great asset.

Another pic from my new morning commute to work. About an hour after sunrise, a gentle fog just above the water. Taking the river bike path adds 3.5 mile to my commute, but it is a small price to pay for the additional safety and zen feeling I get. I have seen magpies, blue herons, barn swallows, 3 hawks, a kingfisher with its fresh catch and few others I have no idea what their names are. I am so hopeful for the next stretch to be completed.

Attachments

• IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 560
I biked 4 days this week. 118 miles total. Next week I am going for all 5 days. The commute on roads is getting easier. I think drivers are getting used to seeing me in the morning. I have really been working on eye contact with drivers at intersections. I have been trying to give a wave, smile and sometimes mouthing a "Thank You" to the extra cautious and considerate drivers. The rest of my commute is on the bike trail and I say "Good Morning" or a "Hello" to everyone I see. It is an amazing, pleasant change in perspective when one of the highlights of my day is the commute back and forth to work. =D

Nice commute! What software are you using for that summary graph?

I use Cyclemeter on my phone but have only figured out to get a text summary. Here’s my August total:

I use Garmin Connect. It gives me the report with numbers. I just colored it in Google Sheets and added the map with profile printscreening Google Earth.

My commute is 35 miles round trip - from Manhattan Beach to UCLA - I ride @ 3:45 am on deserted streets in the morning, afternoons, not so much ( urban riding at it's best)- ride time in the morning is 40 minutes - Afternoon ride about an hour with a portion along the coast ( longer way home)- The best part is in the afternoon, I can get home a good 10 - 15 minutes faster than sitting in my car !!!

My commute is 35 miles round trip - from Manhattan Beach to UCLA - I ride @ 3:45 am on deserted streets in the morning, afternoons, not so much ( urban riding at it's best)- ride time in the morning is 40 minutes - Afternoon ride about an hour with a portion along the coast ( longer way home)- The best part is in the afternoon, I can get home a good 10 - 15 minutes faster than sitting in my car !!!

Hello and Welcome
We would love to see some pics of your commute, especially along the coast.

Mine is only 2.5 miles each way, but only really level in two spots, a 300 yard shortcut on a paved road through a graveyard (through a shallow valley between hills) and about the last half mile; everything else is up, and down, and up, and down, and up ... with the worst hills on a busy road. With my old (non-electric) bike I would often go up some of the hills on the sidewalk, I was so conscious about how slow I was going relative to the busy auto traffic.

The best part though is the parking. If I want to drive I pay $8/day or at least $800/yr, and still would have to walk about 2-3 blocks to my office. Conversely there are ample bike racks right outside my window.

The only downside is that I live in the upper midwest and for at least four months a year it is pretty frigid and/or snowy, especially in the mornings. In these cases I either get my wife to drop me off or pay the $8.

My commute is 9.5 miles round trip by bike, about 14 by car. By bike the ride is about 13 minutes, by car it's 25-30 depending on traffic. I live in a suburban neighborhood in Vermont and we have lots of large hills. A short bike/foot path connects my hilltop neighborhood to an adjoining one,saving me the hassle of driving down a hill, around it, and back up the other side of it to get to the main road I ride. There is brisk traffic, but 90% of the way I have a dedicated bike lane, and drivers are slowly becoming more aware that the bike lane is actually used.

I bought my Stromer ST2 in June and have somewhere around 1300 miles on it so far. By the time I get to work I am wide awake and with none of the accumulated stress of listening to political news while stuck in traffic half asleep. It's *way* better.

And to anyone who's curious:
I had heard the Direct Drive motor on the Stromer would be a bad choice for climbing the hills around where I live, and that a mid-drive would be a better choice. I've ridden both mid-drives and direct drives, and the DD on my Stromer kicks butt on the hills around me. I'm not using it to crawl up super steep mountain trails, but on anything pavement, I think I'd take the DD.

I ride from Austinmer to Wollongong CBD (and return), a trip of 19km each way. Except for the hill up to my house it’s pretty flat, and is mostly along the coast. It’s a stunning ride, very safe and not very busy (except in summer holiday time).

Oh, this is south of Sydney, Australia.

I ride from Austinmer to Wollongong CBD (and return), a trip of 19km each way. Except for the hill up to my house it’s pretty flat, and is mostly along the coast. It’s a stunning ride, very safe and not very busy (except in summer holiday time).
Nice! I'm headed to Oz for the first time, Sept. 2020, and plan to visit from Sidney to Brisbane, roughly. Definitely going to look into a bike rental when I'm there!

Photos Please, sound wonderful!

I found this video on YouTube which shows a small part (~4km) of my daily commute
The rider in the video starts at Ocean Reef and travels north to Burns Beach
My commute starts at Burns Beach and I ride south past Ocean Reef on the coastal path to North Beach (~20km) before I turn inland for the remaining ~16km to work in the Perth CBD
The cycle path hugs the coast through the dunes, where I regularly come across seals, dolphins, bandicoots, rabbits, ospreys, snakes and other reptiles
I really enjoy this route and look forward to it at the start of the day and on the way home where we are treated to cool breezes, the salt smell of the ocean and views like this

Hence the reason it’s called the Sunset Coast

Attachments

• 6D6658B6-D982-4287-B840-4E82862C9ACB.jpeg
    6D6658B6-D982-4287-B840-4E82862C9ACB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 547
  • F31175C9-68F6-4E80-856D-95E142CC017B.jpeg
    F31175C9-68F6-4E80-856D-95E142CC017B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 564
  • 36558A8B-2F5F-410D-80AC-3AB03408E03F.jpeg
    36558A8B-2F5F-410D-80AC-3AB03408E03F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 553
Last edited:
My commute to work is 16 miles each way. I use sport or normal mode on my giant dirt E+2 with greenped dongle installed. My 400W batteries are 2 years old so I have a charger at work andat home and recharge each way. Ususally takes about 35-40 minutes. It involves riding along the seafront for most of the journey.

I usually have anywhere between 25% and 45% left on the battery when I get to work depending on the wind. I alternate batteries every few trips.

Im going to get a 500W battery later in the year just need to save up some pennies.

Here's more from my commute. All taken from the bike path itself. Horrible, aren't they?

Attachments

• IMG_2959.jpg
    IMG_2959.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_2977 2.JPG
    IMG_2977 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 533
  • IMG_2978 2.JPG
    IMG_2978 2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 544
  • IMG_2979 2.jpg
    IMG_2979 2.jpg