Tall guy (6'1"), suspension seatpost options?

Starman

New member, first post, part of the May pre-order for XP, but need to get some must have accessories. Already purchased the Cloud 9 seat, now looking for a suspension seatpost and poring over my options...

I'm a tall guy 6'1", my pants are inseam 32 if that helps more lol. Other than Lectric brand seatpost (which is 500mm), I can't find any others that are 31.6mm and 500mm. Both the Suntour and Satori Animaris are 350mm and I'm concerned that won't be enough. I prefer the latter to over the Lectric as they appear to be more robust and at the same time cost less.

What is my best option and why have all the 500mm and even 400mm options disappeared from the market?

If you look on alixpress you can get the longer suntour post. It's 400mm.My inseam is 32 and the suntour is a great improvement and lots of post is still in the bike.

Last edited:
Why don't you wait to get your bike to see if you even need a suspension seatpost? No sense spending money if you do not have to. But if you must...

...you could cut the existing post, which is a 31.8 in diameter. I do not know the inside diameter of the post, but you could get a Thudbuster or Kinect 2.1 in a 25.4mm size to fit inside the 31.8 seatpost. It would likely require a shim, and you would also need to slot the cut seatpost and get a collar to secure the suspension post to the original one.

If you can't find a suspension seatpost that is long enough, you could use a shim on the XP, then insert a smaller diameter seatpost extender. Then insert into the extender a suspension seatpost of that smaller diameter. You might have to trim off some of the extender length.

You could also use a Rinsten Spring on the stock XP seatpost. Here is an inexpensive Rinsten knockoff.

Getting a wider seat is also a big improvement over the stock XP seat.

Last edited:
Why don't you wait to get your bike to see if you even need a suspension seatpost? No sense spending money if you do not have to. But if you must...

...you could cut the existing post, which is a 31.8 in diameter. I do not know the inside diameter of the post, but you could get a Thudbuster or Kinect 2.1 in a 25.4mm size to fit inside the 31.8 seatpost. It would likely require a shim, and you would also need to slot the cut seatpost and get a collar to secure the suspension post to the original one.
Trust me you need a suspension seat post.

oh great that adds like what? 50mm?
I'm six feet with full leg extension with my suntour seat post no problem...Two inches is two inches..
This is the one. 400 mm 31.6 The Kinect is way over kill..Save your money. That's why we buy these bikes..

#Aliexpress C$ 73.46 34%OFF | SR Suntour NCX Bike Suspension Travel Seatpost 400mm * 27.2/28.6/30.0/30.1/30.4/30.8/31.6/33.9 Bicycle Seat Post w/ Case

Last edited:
ok I'm confused.

The reason why you made this thread was because you were looking for a suspension seatpost.. but you already have a seatpost that fits you well?
You are confused...Starman asked a question about seatposts, and lengths I gave him an answer. What's so confusing..

oh great that adds like what? 50mm?

Your 420mm Kinekt seatpost (although a great option) only adds 70mm over the typical 350mm suspension seatpost about which OP is complaining.

Note that OP is trying to find an suspension seatpost that is at least 500mm in length.

At any rate, I am not sure to what you are referring in regards to your "50mm" remark, as I gave two examples.

In my first example, the total usable seatpost length would be 637mm (the 407mm extender plus the 350mm suspension seatpost, minus 120mm for the extender's insertion into the suspension seatpost).

My second example uses the XP's stock 500mm seatpost plus whatever height is gained by the Rinsten spring.

However, I see that the link that I gave for the seatpost extender parsed to a general seatpost page at the Target store website. Perhaps that is what confused you. I have corrected the link above, so that it goes directly to the manufacturer's page for the seatpost extender.

Last edited:
Wow, kinda complicated...bottom line if you have a 32' inseam a 400 mm post will be more than enough if you are using a suntour suspension post. There is an additional couple inches because of the suspension portion. You will still have room to grow a couple more inches and you will still have lots of post left. I get it, I was afraid of having the same problem.

Wow, kinda complicated...

Not sure if you are referring to my two simple solutions.

If so, the first solution merely adds a seatpost extender and a shim -- not very complicated.

The second solution just adds a Rinsten spring to the stock XP seatpost -- not very complicated.

By the way, a huge advantage of my first solution is that the OP would not be limited to a single brand/model of suspension seatpost -- it allows OP to "shop around" among different models in various price ranges. Other solutions proposed in this thread do not allow such alternative choices nor pricing selection.

I've read and watched too many reviews that laude its benefits, so I'm sold on it. So I must.

I'm six feet with full leg extension with my suntour seat post no problem...Two inches is two inches..
This is the one. 400 mm 31.6 The Kinect is way over kill..Save your money. That's why we buy these bikes..

#Aliexpress C$ 73.46 34%OFF | SR Suntour NCX Bike Suspension Travel Seatpost 400mm * 27.2/28.6/30.0/30.1/30.4/30.8/31.6/33.9 Bicycle Seat Post w/ Case

This is great! I have now ordered it.

A side question... The Cloud 9 seat has two versions... One is a suspension seat and one is a non-suspension seat. Could either one be used with the suspension seat post? I'm pretty sure it could but just want to make sure. From my research, the "suspension" on the seat is just springs that have a debateable level of suspension effect. But what do I know I'm a keyboard cowboy having not owned a bike since almost 20 years ago.

This is great! I have now ordered it.

A side question... The Cloud 9 seat has two versions... One is a suspension seat and one is a non-suspension seat. Could either one be used with the suspension seat post? I'm pretty sure it could but just want to make sure. From my research, the "suspension" on the seat is just springs that have a debateable level of suspension effect. But what do I know I'm a keyboard cowboy having not owned a bike since almost 20 years ago.
The seat post has an adjustment on the bottom of it. You can fine tune it and get it so you don't even know it's there you just float....my seat is a suspension seat...no problem.

Your 420mm Kinekt seatpost (although a great option) only adds 70mm over the typical 350mm suspension seatpost about which OP is complaining.

Note that OP is trying to find an suspension seatpost that is at least 500mm in length.

At any rate, I am not sure to what you are referring in regards to your "50mm" remark, as I gave two examples.

In my first example, the total usable seatpost length would be 637mm (the 407mm extender plus the 350mm suspension seatpost, minus 120mm for the extender's insertion into the suspension seatpost).

My second example uses the XP's stock 500mm seatpost plus whatever height is gained by the Rinsten spring.

However, I see that the link that I gave for the seatpost extender parsed to a general seatpost page at the Target store website. Perhaps that is what confused you. I have corrected the link above, so that it goes directly to the manufacturer's page for the seatpost extender.
That Rinsten spring is something from an old farm tractor from the early 19 th century...Maybe good if you keep your speed under 5mph ..that's crazy..😂

Last edited:
The Rinsten spring bounces first of all, so your energy is displaced and wasted as you peddle. Look on their website and they show a fellow riding downstairs and you can see my point. If you bike slowly and want a comfort ride, this works to some degree and I'd say is better than a spring seat. It’s the same as driving a car with no shock absorbers. It floats and bounces with no way of stoping the rebound. The only adjustment is adding or subtracting weight. I disagree also with your statement that sometimes the simplest solution is the best. Technology goes hand in hand with complexity but also the ability to maintain reliability, so simplicity is a moot point. The Suntour seatpost is definitely more complex that your wire spring. But along with the complexity comes the ability to fine tune it infinitely via a preload adjustment on the bottom. It uses steel bearings and an internal progresive coil spring. The price is almost the same. Im Sorry I think your spring is a poor recomendation and im sure if people tried the two side by side would agree. And yes I have tried one. My sister had one before she replaced it with the Suntour. In fact I think just looking at the design would be enough to convince most to buy the Suntour. There’s a few other suspension seat posts that are terific as well but are also much more costly.Bang for buck the Suntour is the best deal out their.

I put on the Cloud Nine seat and rode on a rough off road course. Found that I did not need a suspension post because the seat provides enough suspension for me. I returned my suspension post I ordered to Amazon. I own a Satori suspension post which I have on my Specialized Como so i ordered one for the XP I was waiting for. Found with the Cloud Nine it was not necessary for me.

I put on the Cloud Nine seat and rode on a rough off road course. Found that I did not need a suspension post because the seat provides enough suspension for me. I returned my suspension post I ordered to Amazon. I own a Satori suspension post which I have on my Specialized Como so i ordered one for the XP I was waiting for. Found with the Cloud Nine it was not necessary for me.

I bought the Cloud 9 seat prior to receiving the bike but I'm going to ride with the stock seat for the first couple weeks so that I can better appreciate the Cloud 9's comfort... I'll do the same thing with regard to the stock seat post vs the Suntour NCX but I have no choice in the matter as that is being shipped from China and has not yet arrived.

I bought the Cloud 9 seat prior to receiving the bike but I'm going to ride with the stock seat for the first couple weeks so that I can better appreciate the Cloud 9's comfort... I'll do the same thing with regard to the stock seat post vs the Suntour NCX but I have no choice in the matter as that is being shipped from China and has not yet arrived.
Looks like you got a great price on the suspension seat post. Enjoy!

I'm interested in finding a good solution as well because I am 6'1" with a 35" inseam (crotch to the ground). I weigh 185 lbs and will probably get the Rattan LM -750 20" mini-folding bike instead of the Lectric XP, and the Rattan has a short seat post, so 420 mm may not be long enough, maybe 450 or 500 mm. I estimate that I will want the seat about 38" to 40" from the ground, depending on how much leg extension I desire and how close the pedals are to the ground, sometimes I want the exercise and want my legs to be able to extend further.

I noticed that Lectric XP sells an ($89) 500 mm suspension (40 mm travel) seat post under their accessories tab, but I am wondering if that type of suspension will be enough dampening or not.

Last edited:
Back