Take an ST2 to Japan

Biker

Hi,
I'm currently stationed in Japan but home on leave. I want to buy an ST2 and take it back with me boxed up on my flight (ANA). Will I make it?? Through the airline, through Japanese customs, does anyone have first hand experience with this? If I try and get stopped at customs in Japan, where would my $7k bike go? Lol. I'm willing to take some risk but.... Within reason.

Hi,
I'm currently stationed in Japan but home on leave. I want to buy an ST2 and take it back with me boxed up on my flight (ANA). Will I make it?? Through the airline, through Japanese customs, does anyone have first hand experience with this? If I try and get stopped at customs in Japan, where would my $7k bike go? Lol. I'm willing to take some risk but.... Within reason.
I have not tried to fly with any kind of bike. You should call ANA to ask their allowances for Lithium-ion batteries. Make sure to always include the "ion" part when searching or discussing lithium-ion batteries, many shorten it to just lithium and that is a very different battery, much less stable. I'm not aware of any airline that allows batteries as large as most ebike batteries. Some nefarious individuals and companies try to skirt the laws and regs by mislabeling batteries as smaller in power than they are, but I suspect you don't want to do that. You may read accounts of batteries being flown/shipped in that manner. It's likely you will find you have to ship your battery back and forth or buy the bike in Japan.

In addition to the shipping, I think there are more restrictive laws in Japan on ebike power and speed. You will want to make sure Japan will allow the ST2, as labeled and sold in the U.S., in the country.

Good luck, nice bike choice!

Hi,

I was able to take an Ebike with me to Asia. Ebikes come under sporting goods and you can carry one sporting good for free on most airlines.
The airline I flew "Qatar" was very helpful.

That's very interesting. I spoke with ANA today. They would ship the bike but not the Lithium Ion. My LBS found a carrier that I'm working with. They will have it to my destination in 7 days. Fingers crossed. I will keep you posted on the process/experience. Any tips please feel free to share.

Well she finally made it to Japan. It was not overly difficult but at the same time, it wasn't UPS to the doo, easy either.
The bike still has not connected to any GSM network yet. Can anyone help with that?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 812
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 787
Well she finally made it to Japan. It was not overly difficult but at the same time, it wasn't UPS to the doo, easy either.
The bike still has not connected to any GSM network yet. Can anyone help with that?

Send an email to [email protected] and he should help you.
If there is an issue, I could connect you with Swiss office people. They should be able to sort this out.

Hello, I know this is a long shot. I brought my ST2 with me to Japan and would like to know if Biker, or anyone else, was able to get connected to a network here? Does anyone know if we can have our Stromers connected to cellular networks here in Japan for updates and application use?
Thanks in advance,
Salim

Back