Swapping out wheels

PRCme

Thank you all for your help and expertise! Question: If I get a fat tire ebike and then next summer want to swap out wheels to turn it into a gravel bike/hybrid, what would I need to do? Would this only work with a mid-drive?

"Fatbikes" have 4" wide tires - along with wider hubs and rims to accommodate the bigger tires. So the chainstays and fork are wider too - everything is designed for the wider parts.
I don't see a retrofit working out.
A fatbike WILL ride on gravel. Pretty much any surface.

If I get a fat tire ebike and then next summer want to swap out wheels to turn it into a gravel bike/hybrid, what would I need to do?

It is quite possible and many MTB'ers do that. For Winter, they keep the fat tire wheels and for summer, they switch them out to 27.5+ wheels.
hundreds of posts of MTB forum : https://forums.mtbr.com/forum.php

Here is a video of what you would need to convert your Fat bike to summer gravel bike.
You could also purchase a complete set (fully ready wheels with hubs).

Thank you all for your help and expertise! Question: If I get a fat tire ebike and then next summer want to swap out wheels to turn it into a gravel bike/hybrid, what would I need to do? Would this only work with a mid-drive?

With a Fat Bike, especially an e-bike Fatbike, all you need to change for different surfaces is the tires, maybe. The motor assist overcomes the biggest drawback of a fat tire and that is its higher rolling resistance. Honestly, I don't think you'll need to have two different wheel sets. Maybe different tires for different riding surfaces, but I don't know if you'll need different wheels.

If you have a hub drive you would need to re-lace the rear hub motor to your choice of wheels. New spokes would obviously need to be made
but it could be done.

Back