Swapped my 44T chainring for a 52T

Ohh no I hadn't seen that thanks. My bike was purchased in April 2019. The motor is pretty quiet though so I'm guessing it's still the nylon gear. I agree with Deafcat, perhaps it's that one-way clutch that might be the weak point. Still though, because the bike will pull a wheelie from a stop in low gear I think there is no issue with that. But it's easy to imagine that those accidental high gear starts could easily roast something.

Ohh no I hadn't seen that thanks. My bike was purchased in April 2019. The motor is pretty quiet though so I'm guessing it's still the nylon gear. I agree with Deafcat, perhaps it's that one-way clutch that might be the weak point. Still though, because the bike will pull a wheelie from a stop in low gear I think there is no issue with that. But it's easy to imagine that those accidental high gear starts could easily roast something.

Yours definitely has metal gears. I sure have abused mine and no problems yet. I'll keep trying to break it. ;)

on my Juggernaut Ultra and I sure like the results. It went from a two speed to five unusable gears. I still won't use the lowest four gears but it did exactly what I wanted. Not sure on top speed but I'd say around 37. I personally don't want to ride a bike at 37 mph, so I'm guessing. New SRAM cassette, chainring and chain.

I think I'm pretty much done with personalizing this bike. It just works for me.
Great upgrade if you live in a terrain that doesn't have a lot of steep hills.

My Jug Ultra was delivered yesterday, spent last night and this morning putting it together, upgrading, adjusting. I like to go slow. I put the 52t chainring on there last night and added 4 links to my chain to compensate before spending the rest of the evening trying to adjust the derailleur, but just could not get it working in all gears. Either it would have trouble in the low end or the high end, I couldn't correct one end without ruining the other.

After sleeping on it I decided that what made the most sense was my chain was shipped long from the start and I had just made too long. I measured the chain over the largest rear cog and decided I was correct, I now had 4 or 6 links too many. So I pulled the 4 links back out, figured if I couldn't get it adjusted I would break another two off, but I ended up not needing to do that. Lesson learned, I should have measured the chain first instead of assuming it was correct from the start.

I love the bike, especially with the 52t up front. With the 44t I only used a couple gears, but now I will use many more.

Right on! Yep I've noticed a few times their chains were too long in stock config. For each SRAM or Shimano drivetrain there are actually clear manufacturer instructions on getting the chain length perfect from the start, also you can figure it out intuitively based on derailleur "stretch" in lowest gear.

Sounds like you got er figured, enjoy! Be sure to take it easy on the motor with that 52T ring, make sure you're always in the right cadence before gunning the throttle.

Right on! Yep I've noticed a few times their chains were too long in stock config. For each SRAM or Shimano drivetrain there are actually clear manufacturer instructions on getting the chain length perfect from the start, also you can figure it out intuitively based on derailleur "stretch" in lowest gear.

Sounds like you got er figured, enjoy! Be sure to take it easy on the motor with that 52T ring, make sure you're always in the right cadence before gunning the throttle.

Yeah, definitely don't want to burn the motor out. I don't think I will use the throttle much, honestly. I really enjoy pedaling the bike.

Same point applies for pedaling of course... too low of cadence with high load is hard on the motor mechanically, especially as assist/torque increases. Keep those pedals turning :)

on my Juggernaut Ultra and I sure like the results. It went from a two speed to five unusable gears. I still won't use the lowest four gears but it did exactly what I wanted. Not sure on top speed but I'd say around 37. I personally don't want to ride a bike at 37 mph, so I'm guessing. New SRAM cassette, chainring and chain.

I think I'm pretty much done with personalizing this bike. It just works for me.
Where did you get the chainring? I have the Ultra 1000 and would like to put a 52T chairing.

Good discussion! I have a question about the other side of the drivetrain: I'd love an even lower option for my long climbs. My 11/42 cassette is fine but am I correct in assuming that something like a 48 or 52 would give me that much more? For example, my neighbor's Trek Rail 5 has a SRAM 11-50 ... is this an apples to apples comparison?

Last edited:
Yep you can totally upgrade the rear gear range, the maximum rear cog size is dependent on your derailleur.

My preferred cassettes are Sunrace, currently on 11-51T 12-speed. These will work with any of the 12-speed SRAM derailleurs, whereas an 11-speed SRAM derailleur I think maxes out at 46T capacity (the difference is in the cage length of the derailleurs). Not sure about Shimano derailleurs, I've been using SRAM exclusively lately, they are the ones setting the pace of innovation with 1X drivetrains.

Also worth noting: Sunrace makes derailleurs now (similar to SRAM design, and also 51T compatible), as well as shifters (push-pull shifting like Shimano... nice! Inspired by "Sramano" mixed-use demand I'd wager).

Back