Survey for those with higher mileage (2000+) ebikes

How often has your bike (with 2000+ miles on it) needed a repair (besides basic maintenance)?

• Never

Votes: 37 50.0%
  • once or twice

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • three or four times

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • 5-7 times

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • 8+ times

• My 2000+ mileage bike is broken down, repairs pending

• My 2000+ mileage bike is broken down, and I'm not having it repaired (or can't get it repaired).

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

ebikemom

For those of you who have an ebike with 2,000 or more miles on it, I'm curious about how often it has needed repairs (aside from flat tires, brake adjustments, and other basic maintenance). Please answer this poll.

Repairs done under warranty still count as repairs. :)

Feel free also to add related discussion.

If you have a lower mileage bike, please don't do the poll, but feel free to share your specifics in a reply to the thread. If you have multiple high mileage bikes, pick one for the poll and discuss the other in a reply.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I had a warranty repair of the rear wheel on my Haibike Trekking RC; the rear rim was developing cracks from over-tensioned spokes. It was never in an unrideable condition, but Haibike USA took care of it right away.

I just broke 4000 miles on my Haibike but other than replacing chain, cassette, sprocket and brake pads have not had to do any repairs. I am a trained bike mechanic so I do all my own stunts.
I do have a warranty claim in with my LBS for an issue with the contacts on my battery. But that doesn't really count as repair, I think.

Have a rad rover, with over 3000m, Radcity has been very responsive in taking care of the issues promptly.

Stromer ST1x left crank arm came loose at about 2000 miles and deformed beyond repair First bike ever that's done that to me and I have owned more than I can easily count. This is a common problem on bikes, and it's primarily due to the cranks not being properly secured during assembly or dealer prep. Tightening or checking the cranks is also a preventative maintenance item that I neglected, as well, on this bike. I'm not worried about the $25 the new crank arm cost me (shipped) for me to replace this item, as the dealer has been great on everything else. I'll mail it back to them and see if they send me a spare, which I will keep for the future and my other bikes.

Following the instructions for the poll, I technically can't cast a vote yet -- on my current bike, I'm at 1,770 miles since June. I expect to click over 2,000 sometime in early October, weather-cooperating!

However, the current bike is a warranty-replaced bike (same model/frame/size/color) for the first bike. That first bike clocked about 850 miles before it died an electronic death -- I think a serious short or sparking or similar event happened (complete with enough heat to apparently slightly melt the plastic housing around the female sockets that receives the battery's connection pins) and I believe that also fried the PAS sensor; but all of that is just my hunch. In the end the makers swapped it for a new bike, after various trouble-shooting attempts failed to bring it back to life. (So, tallying both bikes for this year, I'm closing in on 3,000 miles biked in total.)

The replacement bike's rear wheel (w/ hub motor) seems to have been laced up with the wrong spokes (or perhaps spokes not cut the right way)... 5 of them broke in 11 weeks / 1,300 miles (whereas none broke on the first bike - despite my heavier weight then). I was sent a whole new rear wheel, confirmed "laced up properly". I'm now 5 weeks / 500 miles in on that without any broken spokes.

No other issues have arisen; I consider the electric death, and bad-spoked-wheel to be one-off's which the maker rectified fully.

I have done chain lube & clean a few times throughout the season.

I have two 2016 Radrovers for 2 years with around +2700 miles each. I had initial warranty issues the first year like unable to tq pedal crank bolt (replaced bolt), replaced 3 controllers and wiring harness because of software errors, and new battery pack. I've actually had way less issues since my warranty expired back in Aug/2017 compared to the first year. The only issues I've had since being out of warranty was:

- On on rover, the rear mechanical bike part of the hub would not lock when I pedaled (I could still ghost PAS or use the throttle). The pedals would spin freely forwards/backwards. Replaced entire rear hub wheel because I couldn't release the nut that was securing the 7 speed gear pack.

- Replaced front and rear brakes/cables because they were stretching too much, always needed weekly adjustments, very loud when braking, and long emergency stopping distances, and too many strands were breaking at the handle and disk brakes. Replace with Spyke TRP brakes and Jagwire cables.

- The speedo/odo sensor stopped working on one rover (PAS/throttle/20 mph motor cut-off still worked). Just added $15 wired speedo to front tire and called it a day.

It has mostly been fixing flats from road debris like screws, washing, minor adjustments, and lubing at +2000 miles for both Radrovers. I really haven't notice any drop in range, performance, or power between the two ebikes.

Last edited:
I do have a warranty claim in with my LBS for an issue with the contacts on my battery. But that doesn't really count as repair, I think.
I think it counts, because where would you be if you didn't have that warranty? Maybe that gives you a "once" instead of "zero?" But, however you think of it is fine with me. :) Awesome that you are a bike mechanic and can do your own maintenance! :)

I bought a Trek XM 700 Oct 2016 and put 7000 miles on it in 10 months. I then picked up a Trek Super Commuter July 2017 and now have 15,000 miles on it.
On the XM I replaced the chain twice and went through a few sets of brake pads and a rotor.
On the Super Commuter I changed the front chain ring after 5000 miles to a 22 and the rear cassette at the same time to an 11 x 46.
I have replaced the chain at about every 4000 miles and have gone through a few sets of brake pads and a couple of rotors. I replaced the rear tire but the front is still original and I just had my lbs build me a new set of sturdy DT Swiss wheels after I broke the rear for the second time. First was covered by warranty.
Absolutely zero motor problems and the SC has had a bikespeed-rs dongle since day one!

Do you consider replacing the chain as regular maintenance or repair? I consider it regular maintenance. I have two with 2,000+ and one with 1,700+ Oddly, the lower mileage bike needed the repair.

Do you consider replacing the chain as regular maintenance or repair? I consider it regular maintenance. I have two with 2,000+ and one with 1,700+ Oddly, the lower mileage bike needed the repair.
Yes regular maintenance, so pretty much no repairs besides my rear wheel which takes a lot of abuse.

My Juiced CCS is a bit over 3600 miles since I bought it in May. The rear tire is showing significant wear and I have ordered a replacement. I did have my original taillight fail, which Juiced replaced under warranty. (I don't even think of this as repair honestly.) Otherwise, completely trouble free.

I think it counts, because where would you be if you didn't have that warranty? Maybe that gives you a "once" instead of "zero?" But, however you think of it is fine with me. :) Awesome that you are a bike mechanic and can do your own maintenance! :)
If you don't need skills and tools to fix it I don't consider it a repair. Swapping a battery requires neither. But I am thankful for warranty coverage (though I don't have a decision yet) and even more thankful to my LBS for running the claim even though I didn't buy the bike from them.
I worked in a shop for a long time and we would always have mixed feelings about "those guys". Interestingly, they did not even show up as authorized Haibike dealer when I searched the website. I told them and they pointed it out to the company.

Today I broke 5,000 miles on my 2016 Haibike Sduro AllMtn Full Seven Plus! I lost a plastic cable retainer early on and, after first saying Haibike did not provide replacements, my LBS provided it when I brought my bike in for maintenance. Other than that, I replace the chain every 2,000 miles or so, and I had to replace a tire due to a severe puncture. I converted to tubeless a year ago, and I refresh the sealant every four to six months. Recently, my dropper seat post has stopped working properly. I suspect I will have to replace it, but the bike is fully usable.

I am just coming up on 8000 km (5000 miles) on my Surface 604 Colt. I bought it 18 months ago and have ridden it around 13 months as I don't ride with snow on the ground. I replaced 1 chain, a set of brake pads and the rear tire - front tire is still original. The only call to the company was a recent one for a cracked top housing that holds the battery to the frame and makes the electrical connection. The piece was not cracked all the way through and was still working, but probably not for much longer. They asked for a picture which I text messaged to them. About an hour later, they told me they were sending a replacement by UPS which I received in a couple of days. My warranty was up but the part was sent with no charge. Very happy with the bike and service up to now.

I have two bikes with over 2000 miles. In the first year, the Evelo Aurora PAS wouldn't always shift down from 4-3 or 3-2. They sent me a replacement display and controller under warranty.

The Leed kit has given me no problems at all.

Shimano Steps on Cannondale and first battery failed completely at the start of a tour with only 700 km on it. Fortunately we had a spare so all was not lost. Now in for warranty work.

Back