[Resolved] BEWARE - SPECIALIZED Full Return Policy not as advertised

Audi took back the "defective" (lemon) car and he got a new one. The newer year model.
That could be done for Guru but he insisted to return the faulty Vado IGH (and the good one). Now, he will try with two Como IGH based on exactly the same system he tried to return (as Vado).
If I had such a customer (meaning a negative business for me), I would suggest to the customer to try with competitive software.

That could be done for Guru but he insisted to return the faulty Vado IGH (and the good one). Now, he will try with two Como IGH based on exactly the same system he tried to return (as Vado).
If I had such a customer (meaning a negative business for me), I would suggest to the customer to try with competitive software.
NOT getting an IGH Como 5, getting a CHAIN Como 5. (to try)
IF the model I referenced with the photo was available on a Como 5 with the Shimano hub and carbon belt like the SL, that would be a viable option.

At least a smart decision.
What are you going to do with the threads in which you smeared Specialized?

Would you like for me to delete the threads? Or should they remain so that potential purchasers have a history of the pain it took to enact the changes?
Sounds like "book banning". Can't have anything to tell the whole story, only the sugar-coated La La good stuff?
Me thinks not.
So, I am not looking to create conflict with you or anyone else, I just want it to be known there were issues, and problems, and they were addressed with the persistence of my contributions in multiple arenas, resolved.

You cannot delete a thread. You can edit a title and add [RESOLVED].
People read threads a long time after these were created and get a wrong impression.
No conflict. "Ignore" is the thing that happens immediately. Unlike fixing an e-bike.

I've made it [Resolved] to appease you. However, I'm told in 2 days funds to be returned. We shall see.
Additionally, the reality is that they do have 23 unresolved/unanswered BBB complaints with failure to respond, so they are not out of the woods....yet.

This thread was a pretty big knock against Specialized over the past year-and-a-half, yet the thread now shows [RESOLVED]. That's great. However, sure seems like the loop needs to be closed here since this was blasted out for all to see, read, wonder.

It's more credible, helpful, and believable when the full story is shared to help future readers understand better too. Why the original refund was refused and how this managed to take a while to get resolved is left open for everyone to be suspect.

ASK:
Is the OP @GuruUno going to reveal WHY and HOW this got "resolved" by Specialized for you? Do share more.

This thread was a pretty big knock against Specialized over the past year-and-a-half, yet the thread now shows [RESOLVED]. That's great. However, sure seems like the loop needs to be closed here since this was blasted out for all to see, read, wonder.

It's more credible, helpful, and believable when the full story is shared to help future readers understand better too. Why the original refund was refused and how this managed to take a while to get resolved is left open for everyone to be suspect.

ASK:
Is the OP @GuruUno going to reveal WHY and HOW this got "resolved" by Specialized for you? Do share more.
The "resolve" was that after a credit card dispute to "wake up" those driving the bus, then, and ONLY THEN was there any sort of resolve. I learned a long, long time ago, if you involve money, it gets the attention of the person whose pocketbook it affects. That's why you use the protection mechanisms associated to a credit card, let the lawyers fight it out. However, by taking that route along with many phone calls, I obviously rubbed them the wrong way and was told to NEVER EVER call them again for ANYTHING. I'd guess with all my messages left on their horrible support line PRIOR to this specific incident was the catalyst. I did try once afterwards to call to ask a question (Rider 'I-Don't Care') and was lambasted into the next solar system by 'Nathan' (support rep) who screamed at me and said "I TOLD YOU TO NEVER CALL HERE AGAIN"!
Anyway, I built a solid relationship with the local bike shop manager who totally "gets it" and with his help and assistance he was able to be the savior of my problems, then, and now (meaning he's there for me if needed).

So as I stated in anther posting, I'm 100% committed to the brand, but the company needs coaching and training to be able to offer better customer support.

There is zero reasoning to delete, remove or modify my views, opinions or other information I have chosen to share on these discussion boards as after all, then what would be the purpose of them? And how would anyone ever have any knowledge of anyone who had positive and or negative experiences? So, you are asking if I would remove my real world experience? Why? What purpose would it serve?

Last edited:
@GuruUno post #1, "with the help of Hilltop manager(s) they assisted with the return process. They were unsure, uncertain, and had no process to follow, as they were just a bike shop that I chose to have them sent to as referenced previously.".

This Hilltop Bicycles In NJ [if this is the correct dealer] is an Incycle dealer, backed by Specialized, a dealer who sells Specialized bicycles, correct?

Reading between the lines here - while it sounds like a local dealer who "assisted" in the return process [although you did not buy the bike through them], they assisted you anyhow. What a nice dealer, in any case. This makes yet another case for supporting local bike shops on the next bike and accessories purchase. No disagreement here - leave your post & thread up for people to read and benefit from - hard lessons learned.

Support your local bike shop [LBS]. You might just avoid lost time, money, energy, and unnecessary headaches. There is no cutting corners. This is exactly why I supported my local Specialized bicycle dealer on the past two bicycle purchases and assembly.

Uggggggh.........the 1st IGH I purchased at the time was only available from a Specialized shop in Mass. in the entire USA and they were willing to sell to me if I paid the shipping cost to NJ LBS to follow Specialized rules about shipping direct to consumer (they said they could not). So I paid all the extras for the 1st bike and it was unboxed, setup and delivered to me by the LBS here in NJ (Hilltop). The 2nd IGH was ordered directly from Hilltop and unboxed, setup and delivered to me.
So, bottom line is the LBS was in "the loop" from the beginning.
Hope that gives you a better understanding without more needless detail.
Bottom line is that my LBS was in the loop from day one and helped out as referenced.
Remember, I was probably one of the very 1st in the US to get one of the very 1st IGH models, and was willing to drive to Mass. to get it, but they offered to send it to the LBS here in NJ at my cost, and my LBS graciously accepted my request to receive it and set it up for me....and as stated, I ordered my 2nd one from the LBS in NJ, so they were involved and never left out in the cold.

Helpful intel @GuruUno and realizing and thinking back [around] this time frame coming out of the pandemic, had a shortage of inventory, and with new models coming out, and you paying extra shipping to send these bikes just to get it, and have it built, was probably a bit frustrating to begin with. It does seem like you did what you could. Documenting what happened here will allow others who read this, and be ready to ask questions and decide how/where they want to buy the bike.

In my case I saw what was online (on sale during one week), I went to both Incycle (specialized backed), and another local dealer who only sold Specialized, to ask if they could match the website price, and sell it for the same. They both offered the same, yet one dealer was a little more flexible than the other, and it just felt right - so I went with it. I paid the local dealer for the bike, not the online website - intentionally. In your case maybe that was not available from your local authorized Incycle dealer.

In any case, hope you got your money back and were able to buy replacements somehow. Thanks for sharing the added details a few of us were asking about to understand better. Best of Luck, Happy Holidays.

Helpful intel @GuruUno and realizing and thinking back [around] this time frame coming out of the pandemic, had a shortage of inventory, and with new models coming out, and you paying extra shipping to send these bikes just to get it, and have it built, was probably a bit frustrating to begin with. It does seem like you did what you could. Documenting what happened here will allow others who read this, and be ready to ask questions and decide how/where they want to buy the bike.

In my case I saw what was online (on sale during one week), I went to both Incycle (specialized backed), and another local dealer who only sold Specialized, to ask if they could match the website price, and sell it for the same. They both offered the same, yet one dealer was a little more flexible than the other, and it just felt right - so I went with it. I paid the local dealer for the bike, not the online website - intentionally. In your case maybe that was not available from your local authorized Incycle dealer.

In any case, hope you got your money back and were able to buy replacements somehow. Thanks for sharing the added details a few of us were asking about to understand better. Best of Luck, Happy Holidays.

i generally think the specialized model is pretty good - lots of ways to get a bike and get it serviced - but one area which is not so great is that the stock directed to a dealer floor, the stock they can order from, and the stock YOU can order from on specialized’s website are three different things. in your case those circles overlapped, but more often than not if you see a bike on the website, say a 58cm chameleon grey s-works aethos, and pop into your local dealer to order it for you they’ll say it’s not available and will take some insane amount of time if you’re lucky. then you go on your phone and order it yourself and it shows up in the shop in a few days. in that case, the shop still gets a small commission for helping you get going, but not the full commission. it’s a reasonable system with good logic behind how it works, but it can be very frustrating to buyers and LBS who want something specific delivered by a specific channel.

Back