Surface 604 Shred Chain & Cassette Life

jv34

Wondering how many Miles or Km do you have on your drive line...chain, cassette and chain ring?

I have a Shred, I ride 80% road some mellow single track...I lubricate the chain every 2nd ride and clean it regularly. Everything still shifts like new with 6,000Km (4200 miles) on the original equipment.

I’ve read that some people like to replace there chain twice before having to replace the cassette and chainring to safe on costs.

Question: Should I replace my chain with this kind of Km on the drive line or just keep riding tell something gives?

I have a 2020 Shred and only 400 miles so far; lagging quite a bit from your 4200 miles.

IMO, so long as chain is not elongated between links, shifting OK, no signs of rust/corrosion, not falling off under heavy load, etc, I would keep on riding it. You'll know when your chain/sprockets need replacement; you'll be able to notice it.

I also ride a motorcycle, and I always replace the sprocket/chain as a pair, never separate.

Chain maintenance goes a long way towards longevity.

If as a rider, you notice changes, have them replaced.

There is 2 ways to handle this issue:

1.) As mogulskier suggests, if there are no issues, just keep on riding. If you do this, as mogulskiers suggests, you will likely have to replace the chain/chainring/sprockets at the same time as the more the chain wears/get longer, the less chance you have of not having issues when you replace the chain only. The chainrings/chain/rear cassette will wear 'as a set' for quite awhile and be fine. The difference occurres when you need to replace a component.

2.) Replace the chain before chain wear corrupts the front chainwheel or sprocket. Best case you get 2/3 chainrings/and or cassettes per chain replacement. No exact formula here as it depends on many factors. Best/most accurate is just to use a ruler.. I did this for years but now use a Shimano TL-CN42 gauge.

Here is more info if interested:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-wear.html

FWIW, I rode dirt/street motorcyles for 20 years. I used a diiferent chain/chainwheel/sprocket strategy (always replaced them all as a set)

On my bikes/ebikes I try to adhere to #2

Last edited:
Back