Supernova Lights - Positioning and On / Off options

@Pushar, Ravi is saying that the M99 Pro will always stay on unless you remove the battery. Is this true? I assumed that when the bike stops moving the light completely turns off after few minutes. I can't imagine the light being on constantly draining the battery even when it's parked.
Yes. You are correct. The light is always on but The m99 pro has a motion sensor. Once the bike stops, it turns off in a couple of minutes. doesn’t drain the battery beyond a few minutes.

I prefer the light to be mounted on the stem, but I also prefer the Moloko bar over the Jones bar. I think the Jones bar sweeps back too far for my riding style. Having said that, it would be perfect for my wife's WWSuperbike, because she prefers the more upright riding position.
I don't really need an on-off switch, as I always ride with my headlight on, or if possible on flash mode.

Hey guys, I don't want to flood the Zenbikes forum for Supernova - but here is what we will be using. This is more gory when laid out like this but rest assured that the final wiring will be a lot cleaner.

1. All M99 Pro versions come with the sensor (I have highlighted that part from the official documentation) which does motion + light. It also toggles to high beam (if dark). As you can see from the second picture, ours is pure "power only" circuit.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 3.26.36 PM.png

2. You can see that on the picture below that the light (the bright thing in the middle) is on (I had to shake it to induce "motion"), it is connected to the brakes ( in the white cloth), rear light (left) and horn (not in the picture) all connected and all work. Let me warn you the horn is frigging loud.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 3.35.54 PM.png

3. My only issue is that Supernova uses like 22AWG wire for a 60V battery output. That is not ideal but Supernova has stressed that this is safe since the light only takes what it needs, so 22 AWG should plenty. Looks like the same setup is being used by multiple non-Bosch motors so they have a fairly reliable track history for this.

4. The whole setup works with minor quibbles of too much wiring (no kidding). Supernova adds 3 cables to the whole thing (2 on the light, and there is a splitter to support brake cut offs, and tail lights). We can hide all cables in the new integrated downtube, so I am not too worried about that - its just that it will take a little more assembly time.

5. So far we have not needed to rely on the CAN protocol. May be once our display is available, we can communicate using BLE and turn off with the bafang toggle! :) lol. Wouldnt that be nice.

6. We can add a toggle to the supernova on / off. That is not a problem. If any of you have worked with a nicer higher quality toggle, let me know and I can test it out. I am trying to get to a cleaner look.

@pushkar, I understand the automatic switch between DRL and low beam. As I've said before, ability to turn on/off would be ideal, but as long as the light does turn off after being stationary for few minutes it's not a deal breaker. What Ravi said seemed to contradict that, so wanted to make sure we are clear on this.

@pushkar, I understand the automatic switch between DRL and low beam. As I've said before, ability to turn on/off would be ideal, but as long as the light does turn off after being stationary for few minutes it's not a deal breaker. What Ravi said seemed to contradict that, so wanted to make sure we are clear on this.

On my test rig the light turns off after a few minutes of not being moved. I don’t know how consistent that is but it’s worked.

Supernova said “couple of minutes “ but I’ll test this week and next again and see if I can come up with an average time.

On my test rig the light turns off after a few minutes of not being moved. I don’t know how consistent that is but it’s worked.

Supernova said “couple of minutes “ but I’ll test this week and next again and see if I can come up with an average time.
What would really settle this is if you can post a video of the Supernova M99 Pro shutting off after being parked. :)

What would really settle this is if you can post a video of the Supernova M99 Pro shutting off after being parked. :)

ha ha.. ha ha.
I am testing it. The outside chance is that this doenst work consistently, then we can offer a standard toggle (and eventually tie it to the bafang toggle).

Sensitive little critter ain't it? 😆

Ha ha.. yeah. They go off the moment you touch them :) I was worried that my kids jumpiung int he background would trigger them .. but the sensor weeds out that noise.

The stand by time is configurable by Supernova. Now that I know what the set up is, I am working with Supernova to unify the cables into something we need.

What action is needed right now ?
1. Please provide your feedback in comments and preferences
2. I will finalize and add these options to the build configurator in late July / August

Thanks.
So as this bike gets better and better and the options expand we can just hold on til July August to make choices. How about if one would like to up the Wattage ..Speak now or wait?

What action is needed right now ?
1. Please provide your feedback in comments and preferences
2. I will finalize and add these options to the build configurator in late July / August

Thanks.
So as this bike gets better and better and the options expand we can just hold on til July August to make choices. How about if one would like to up the Wattage ..Speak now or wait?
I'm pretty sure you can upgrade to a higher wattage motor until the cutoff. But in all honesty, if you're planning on plunking down this much money on the bike, it may be wise to just go with the most powerful version of the motor rather than have buyer's regret afterwards. 😉

Some of us range is an issue,smallest diameter tire, high pressures, multiple batteries,125 mile + daily runs....

I'm pretty sure you can upgrade to a higher wattage motor until the cutoff. But in all honesty, if you're planning on plunking down this much money on the bike, it may be wise to just go with the most powerful version of the motor rather than have buyer's regret afterwards. 😉
[/QUOTE
Agreed ...and I’ve already plunked.. (series 2) but just the750 version. Bikes is still just on paper and I’m already trying to upgrade... but hey this thing might Literally fly by the time Pushkar is done collecting parts.... Lights, bars and hubs all being vetted and interchangeable.. just didn’t know if Wattage upgrade was best done early to avoid the Inevitable rush once the 3D version appears.

I look at the motor power similar to driving a sports car. Most owners probably use the full power less than 0.1% of the time. But when it’s there when you want it, it feels great to have. It’s just guilty pleasure.

I probably hardly ever go more than the 750w for most rides, but there will be days when I need to trek it home in a hurry and I will be glad to have it.

I think there might be some idea that higher wattage motor uses more power. I don’t think that is true but I am not positive. I think that the motors are exactly the same with just changes in the software. In car terms it is not like they take out a v6 and add a v8. It is more like they take the governor off that keeps you under 45 mph. So the motor is the same but the software allows it to draw more juice if asked for.

It’s more similar to increasing the HP and lb. ft. of torque in an automobile. It’s not a governing limiter that cuts off your top speed. It increases acceleration and decreases the human power needed making it easier to reach and sustain the same speed.

@pushkar another option for mounting the SuperNova M99 Pro, in addition to the front bar of the Moloko loop, is on the bottom and forward part of the front rack. This way there is no danger of whatever you're carrying on the rack to block the throw of the light. It'd be great if the rider could easily move the light from one spot (rack) to the other (bar).

Back