Supercharger Front Rack Recommendation

rhino7

Does anyone have a recommendation for a front rack for the Supercharger that can be used with Ortlieb pannier bags?

I came across the image below on a German forum but it doesn’t indicate the make or model.

1541174172480.png

I can confirm that a Thule Pedal-n-Pack front rack installs on a Charger with the Suntour Akon and 2.4” tires. It’s about $100 and an additional $20 for side frames that let you use the lower clip on panniers. I was a little skeptical at first of the strap system but it was surprisingly robust. The major downside is the 22lb weight limit — about 10kg.

I've toured "self contained" extensively over the past 25 years using front and rear panniers - Arkel Expedition bags for most of that time. When I purchased my Delite in early 2017, the first thing I did was reach out to Old Man Mountain to see if they made a front rack for the Suntour Aion. I knew that they supported Fox shocks, but no mention is made in their literature re: the Aion. This was Channing's response (self described as "owner, welder, shipper, and cleanup guy for OMM"):

>> "The axle in the Suntour fork is very unique and we don’t have an option for securely attaching a rack to that particular fork."

To my knowledge, that situation hasn't changed, so no luck there. It is too bad since OMM makes a tested, proven, quality product. If I had known this, I may have considered opting for the R&M Fox suspension, but it wasn't an option anyway at the time I purchase the bike, though it can be retrofit.

The only other front rack I found that supported a sprung front fork was the Hoogar. This looks like a very well thought out unit and also fulfilled my preference for a "low rider" type. Pricey for sure, but I'm always willing to pay for quality. I wrote to them on a Saturday morning to inquire as to compatibility. To their credit, they got back to me within an hour (impressive, as it was a weekend) with this response:

>> "Thank you for your interest. But, we deliver exclusively in states of the European Union. I am sorry we can not supply you"

They may now be selling to the USA, but at the time (last spring), I was out of luck, unless I wanted to figure out a work-around shipping scheme.

I wasn't aware of the Thule Pedal-n-Pack. Looks interesting.

Anyway, with a planned 2 week trip this year, I finally broke down and actually purchased a trailer:
https://www.cyclemonkey.com/trailers/tout-terrain-mule-suspended-cargo-trailer.

The arguments re: panniers vs. trailers have been around forever and, except for a doggie trailer that I use for local rides, I have always used front/rear panniers for long distance touring, going with the "simple is good" philosophy. I will say though, that the Tout Terrain has been terrific. I'm still using rear panniers, but keep them very lightly loaded with the heavy stuff reserved for the trailer. The extra "dead" weight of the trailer itself is offset by having the e-bike assist and the bike itself remains nimble (loaded panniers front and rear tend to make any bike ride like a truck).

Last edited:
I've toured "self contained" extensively over the past 25 years using front and rear panniers - Arkel Expedition bags for most of that time. When I purchased my Delite in early 2017, the first thing I did was reach out to Old Man Mountain to see if they made a front rack for the Suntour Aion. I knew that they supported Fox shocks, but no mention is made in their literature re: the Aion. This was Channing's response (self described as "owner, welder, shipper, and cleanup guy for OMM"):

>> "The axle in the Suntour fork is very unique and we don’t have an option for securely attaching a rack to that particular fork."

To my knowledge, that situation hasn't changed, so no luck there. It is too bad since OMM makes a tested, proven, quality product. If I had known this, I may have considered opting for the R&M Fox suspension, but it wasn't an option anyway at the time I purchase the bike, though it can be retrofit.

The only other front rack I found that supported a sprung front fork was the Hoogar. This looks like a very well thought out unit and also fulfilled my preference for a "low rider" type. Pricey for sure, but I'm always willing to pay for quality. I wrote to them on a Saturday morning to inquire as to compatibility. To their credit, they got back to me within an hour (impressive, as it was a weekend) with this response:

>> "Thank you for your interest. But, we deliver exclusively in states of the European Union. I am sorry we can not supply you"

They may now be selling to the USA, but at the time (last spring), I was out of luck, unless I wanted to figure out a work-around shipping scheme.

I wasn't aware of the Thule Pedal-n-Pack. Looks interesting.

Anyway, with a planned 2 week trip this year, I finally broke down and actually purchased a trailer:
https://www.cyclemonkey.com/trailers/tout-terrain-mule-suspended-cargo-trailer.

The arguments re: panniers vs. trailers have been around forever and, except for a doggie trailer that I use for local rides, I have always used front/rear panniers for long distance touring, going with the "simple is good" philosophy. I will say though, that the Tout Terrain has been terrific. I'm still using rear panniers, but keep them very lightly loaded with the heavy stuff reserved for the trailer. The extra "dead" weight of the trailer itself is offset by having the e-bike assist and the bike itself remains nimble (loaded panniers front and rear tend to make any bike ride like a truck).

I received the same email from Channing last March, lol.

I’ve been interested in the Mule for a while now but was hoping to look at one before buying. Did you order online or is Cycle Monkey local to you? There are a couple of other dealers as well in NH,NC. Which RM Model have you attached your Mule to?

I received the same email from Channing last March, lol.

I’ve been interested in the Mule for a while now but was hoping to look at one before buying. Did you order online or is Cycle Monkey local to you? There are a couple of other dealers as well in NH,NC. Which RM Model have you attached your Mule to? If the Delite, how much clearance do you have between the Mule arm and Delite rack? Any issues with positioning the seat post hitch? Which size hitch did you purchase?

Funny re: reply from Channing. Quite the character.

I have a Delite GX Rohloff HS with 6,300 mostly commuting miles on it so far, though I'd happily put in more touring miles given the time . . .

I had the Mule shipped by Cycle Monkey to me in NY. I know that Peter White in NH has them - he is probably the original Tout Terrain US dealer - but I've had great transactions with Cycle Monkey in the past buying Rohloff and Schlumph parts + they had one in stock w/all optional accessories. Quality unit and it trails behind the bike beautifully. I was lucky enough to have corralled a biker with one on a local trail last year, so it wasn't a blind purchase (I even talked the guy into letting me test it on his bike - though he was probably even more interested in trying out my Delite!).

Clearance from the rack to trailer arm is a factor of the height of your seat. Mine varies from 3" at the connector/seat post to about 6" at the rear of the rack. As you can see, the arm tapers upward as it runs toward the trailer. The seat post on the Delite is 34.5 mm. The Mule connector-hitch is stamped 35mm. Cycle Monkey was concerned that the 0.5mm difference might be an issue, but it isn't - fits perfectly. You can get the hitch in various seat post diameters. Although you can position the hitch anywhere along the seat post, my guess is that you will want to keep it as high as possible.

Attachments

• ToutTerrainMule_withR&M1.jpg
    ToutTerrainMule_withR&M1.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 978
  • ToutTerrainMule_withR&M2.jpg
    ToutTerrainMule_withR&M2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 972
I suspect that you could find a cooperative and trustworthy person on this site who you could ship the Hoogar to and he (she) could ship it to you in the states.

In general one aspect of the R&M Charger that I've found disappointing has been the racking, both front and rear. It would have been nice for such a high-end bike if they just specified Tubus Racks and been done with it.

Funny re: reply from Channing. Quite the character.

I have a Delite GX Rohloff HS with 6,300 mostly commuting miles on it so far, though I'd happily put in more touring miles given the time . . .

I had the Mule shipped by Cycle Monkey to me in NY. I know that Peter White in NH has them - he is probably the original Tout Terrain US dealer - but I've had great transactions with Cycle Monkey in the past buying Rohloff and Schlumph parts + they had one in stock w/all optional accessories. Quality unit and it trails behind the bike beautifully. I was lucky enough to have corralled a biker with one on a local trail last year, so it wasn't a blind purchase (I even talked the guy into letting me test it on his bike - though he was probably even more interested in trying out my Delite!).

Clearance from the rack to trailer arm is a factor of the height of your seat. Mine varies from 3" at the connector/seat post to about 6" at the rear of the rack. As you can see, the arm tapers upward as it runs toward the trailer. The seat post on the Delite is 34.5 mm. The Mule connector-hitch is stamped 35mm. Cycle Monkey was concerned that the 0.5mm difference might be an issue, but it isn't - fits perfectly. You can get the hitch in various seat post diameters. Although you can position the hitch anywhere along the seat post, my guess is that you will want to keep it as high as possible.

Fantastic, thanks for the images.

Until recently, Peter White was the sole distributor but TT is now building a dealer network in the US. I’ve been holding out in hopes of a dealer showing up along the DC-NY corridor, but I wonder what the demand. Is for severely expensive German trailers.

While obnoxiously expensive and pretty heavy, I like the looks of the Burley Coho XC:

I suspect that you could find a cooperative and trustworthy person on this site who you could ship the Hoogar to and he (she) could ship it to you in the states.

In general one aspect of the R&M Charger that I've found disappointing has been the racking, both front and rear. It would have been nice for such a high-end bike if they just specified Tubus Racks and been done with it.
Good suggestion for shipping work-around. Actually, I have a sister who lives in the U.K., so she probably could have helped. I may still have her do that since front panniers have their advantages too - and I own 2 sets of them . . .

The rear rack on the Delite is very robust, but yeah, I'm still wondering why it has such a short span from the bottom horizontal strut to the top tube where you hook on the bags. I've had to modify my "standard" panniers to accommodate. I'm guessing the R&M accommodates a newer/different standard.

Fantastic, thanks for the images.

Until recently, Peter White was the sole distributor but TT is now building a dealer network in the US. I’ve been holding out in hopes of a dealer showing up along the DC-NY corridor, but I wonder what the demand. Is for severely expensive German trailers.
Tout Terrain specializes in touring bikes like the "Silk Road" and Peter has been handling the line for quite a few years now. Agreed that there's no way TT could survive on trailers only! Niche market, for sure.

Re: Subject: Front Rack...
I too was eagerly wanting to purchase a Faiv Hoogar but in May 2018 got the same response from them about not shipping outside the EU, i'm in Australia.
I believe it's a perfect solution, suspended weight, i'd like to go out in the bush with up to 20 litres of water and some solar charging equipment and balance the weight across the bike.
Failing that i wish Fork manufacturers would put a few small mounting points on them, it wouldn't contribute to the weight much.
I've hit a brick wall in this regard, as i only want 2 wheels, not 3 or 4, disappointed.

Back