SUPER MOTO-X on Bulls E2 Street?

Quito

Hey all -

I searched the forums and couldn't find any info so I'm hoping anyone here might be of help -

This Christmas, I want to get my wife Super Moto X 2.4" tires for her 2019 Bulls E2 Street, which came with Kenda STYX Ace of Pace, 27.5" x 2.25" tires. Does anyone know if the 2.25" rims will hold the new 2.4" tires without issue? There are fenders on this bike, which are hard to tell if the new 2.4" tires will fit without actually installing them 1st. But I don't want to order them unless I know they will fit.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Quito

tires for her 2019 Bulls E2 Street, which came with Kenda STYX Ace of Pace, 27.5" x 2.25" tires.

The rims on that bike are pretty narrow. If you do install the Supermoto-X, it would bulge out in a weird way because the rim is only 18mm.
You could also look into Big Ben Plus, which has a similar tread pattern but slightly narrower.

Thanks Ravi. That's what I thought too about the narrow rims with the balloon affect. It's a bummer because she likes the fat tires of my 2018 Raliegh Lore iE has 2.8" Moto X's, and we were trying to get her the same tires for her bike.

Yeah, I'm considering the Big Ben Plus as the other option - so those would be OK at 2.15" on 2.25" rims?

I'm considering the Big Ben Plus as the other option - so those would be OK at 2.15" on 2.25" rims?

Yes, they would be fine. The Big Ben Plus only comes in 2" width and it would work well.
With a wider rim, the tire has a lot more contact area and generally will absorb bumps a bit better.
Your bike has 2.8" tires, which is actually plus size, and if you do with the Supermoto X, 2.4" may just work if she is not traveling at high speeds.

Thanks Ravi. That's what I thought too about the narrow rims with the balloon affect. It's a bummer because she likes the fat tires of my 2018 Raliegh Lore iE has 2.8" Moto X's, and we were trying to get her the same tires for her bike.

Yeah, I'm considering the Big Ben Plus as the other option - so those would be OK at 2.15" on 2.25" rims?
Nice Bulls E2 Street! Here is a handy tire and rim fitment chart from Schwalbe.
The Big Ben Plus has the same tread pattern as the SuperMoto and is an excellent tire.

With an 18mm rim width you can run a tire up to 52-54mm wide = 2.15" inch tire width.
The good news is that the Big Ben Plus is now available in a new 27.5x 2.15" tire size. ;)

1607909930029.png

1607909914377.png

Last edited:
You're right - 2" for Big Ben Plus at 27.5" - I misread the website and thought it was 2.15".

She rarely goes the max 28mph, so what would you say 20-25 mph is still considered high speed? If not, I may still go with the Moto X because that's what she originally wanted, but it sounds unsafe if she can't "go fast" whenever she needed or wanted to. In your opinion, would you then say BB+ 2" is the better option?

Here is a handy tire and rim fitment chart from Schwalbe.
The Big Ben Plus has the same tread pattern as the SuperMoto and is an excellent tire.

With a 18mm rim width you can run a tire up to 52-54mm wide = 2.15" inch tire width.
The good news is that the Big Ben Plus is now available in a new 27.5x 2.15" tire size. ;)

View attachment 74130
View attachment 74129
Thanks Flat6! Weird - The page I visit doesn't show that size (see below). If I can actually get it, I'll probably just go with BB+ at 2.15"! :)
screencapture-schwalbetires-bike-tires-road-tires-big-ben-plus-2020-12-13-17_43_41.png

Yes, take a look at the new website... it lists the new 27.5 x 2.15" size that is a perfect fit for your wife.
It is also E50 / ECE-R75 approved for high-speed EBikes. I run Big Ben Plus on all my road bikes. ;)
Tour - Schwalbe Professional Bike Tires

1607910625729.png

Last edited:
Ah - Bingo - I see now I was on a different/old site. Well that's confusing!

Thanks so much for the help Flatsix911 and Ravi - you guys rock. :) BB+ 2.15 is the winner - assuming I can get order in time!

Happy Holidays and stay safe!

Ah - Bingo - I see now I was on a different/old site. Well that's confusing!

The North American distribution center still doesn't carry the tire in 2.15" size and the website you linked to is their US-specific site.
The site @FlatSix911 is referring to is their international site and I don't think they will have it in stock until March 2021.

Upgrading the seat post to Kinekt and switching to BB+ would have the most impact on comfort on your spouse's bike.

The North American distribution center still doesn't carry the tire in 2.15" size and the website you linked to is their US-specific site.
The site @FlatSix911 is referring to is their international site and I don't think they will have it in stock until March 2021.

Upgrading the seat post to Kinekt and switching to BB+ would have the most impact on comfort on your spouse's bike.
Ravi is correct... you could order from an EU website to get the 2.15" tire or go with the 2" width. (I have the 2" and they are great) ;)

Last edited:
@Ravi Kempaiah you read my mind - I've also been considering the Kinekt 2.1 for her with the tireset.
@FlatSix911, if I can't get the 2.15 until 3/2021, I may have to go with BB+ 2.0. I'm sure the 2.0 are great, as @Ravi Kempaiah also said earlier. :)
I agree... high volume tires along with a suspension Seatpost are the perfect belt and suspenders solution for a smooth ride.
Let me know if you are interested in a Satori Animaris Suspension Seatpost... I have an extra one with a 30.9 mm diameter for the Bulls.

Amazon.com : U/N Satori ANIMARIS Damping Suspension Seatpost Mountain Road Bike Seat Post 30.9/31.6mm Seat Tube 350mm Length : Sports & Outdoors

After some research, it looks like the most suitable for her needs is the RedShift ShockStop seatpost and already ordered it yesterday. But I appreciate your offer, @FlatSix911.

Cheers, guys!

Nice Bulls E2 Street! Here is a handy tire and rim fitment chart from Schwalbe.

With an 18mm rim width you can run a tire up to 52-54mm wide = 2.15" inch tire width.

View attachment 74130
View attachment 74129
Hi,
Sorry to thread jack - I thought it might be better to extend this discussion rather than start a new one. I have a mountain bike fitted with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26 x 1.35 tyres with greenguard fitted to my MTB. I really like them but I converted the bike to electric and I'm finding the ride to be quite hard. I'm also looking at the Super Moto X but the guide you posted would suggest my rim would be too narrow? Otherwise, I could go with the same tyres at 2 inches (5cm) - this would fit my 53mm wide mudguards almost perfectly and not look like a kid whose mum bought them clothes that are too big. I'm just a bit worried as the guide has a massive drop in compatibility between 16mm and 17mm inner width and mine is somewhere in between - this is measured at the lip where the metal folds in. Super Moto X probably not gonna work, but reckon 5cm wide Marathons would fit?
Ed

Attachments

• 20201215_164407.jpg
    20201215_164407.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 262
Hi,
Sorry to thread jack - I thought it might be better to extend this discussion rather than start a new one. I have a mountain bike fitted with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26 x 1.35 tyres with greenguard fitted to my MTB. I really like them but I converted the bike to electric and I'm finding the ride to be quite hard. I'm also looking at the Super Moto X but the guide you posted would suggest my rim would be too narrow?
Otherwise, I could go with the same tyres at 2 inches (5cm) - this would fit my 53mm wide mudguards almost perfectly and not look like a kid whose mum bought them clothes that are too big. I'm just a bit worried as the guide has a massive drop in compatibility between 16mm and 17mm inner width and mine is somewhere in between - this is measured at the lip where the metal folds in. Super Moto X probably not gonna work, but reckon 5cm wide Marathons would fit?
Ed
Based on your rim measurement of 16.75mm you should be fine with a maximum tire width of 52-54 mm... so 26 x 2.0" tires are good to go.
Keep in mind that the Schwalbe chart has a built-in safety margin and that a 17mm road rim was considered wide just a few years ago.
I have a set of the Schwalbe Big Ben Plus 28 x 2" tires on my Bianchi road bike and they work very well with the stock 17mm rims. ;)

1608057460764.png

Last edited:
Based on your rim measurement of 16.75mm you should be fine with a maximum tire width of 52-54 mm... so 26 x 2.0" tires are good to go.
Keep in mind that the Schwalbe chart has a built-in safety margin and that a 17mm road rim was considered wide just a few years ago.
I have the Schwalbe Big Ben Plus 28 x 2" tires on my Bianchi road bike and they work very well with the stock 17mm rims. ;)

View attachment 74280
Thanks! I pulled the trigger on some Marathon Plus 26x2.0. They were also going cheap online at £25 each plus £5 shipping. The Super Moto Xs sound really appealing but that would've necessitated not only new rims, but also mudguards, as well as a total relacing with new spokes. This is the most straightforward and cost-efficient.

Back