Suggestions for mini folding bike

net200777

Similar to rad mini. What bikes are in this class to choose from? My ideal bike would fold inside a car and have fat tires. A rack would be nice and it would be powerful and range.

Obviously not knowledgeable with electric bikes
No problem, just a hint. Doing a bit of research and getting a sense about your budget, favorite designs, and motors, ask8ng more specific questions can get you more useful information. We all have limitations and can’t know it all, but some homework and groundwork sharing what we learn means we all learn more. No one here knows all. Even if we act as if we do.

Knowing wher3 you will ride, hills, flats, paved, dirt, and, more details can get you more of what you want to learn. I for on3 didn’t know there were so many folding fatties.

For starters, you've got the Voltbike Mariner (just rode one yesterday and I was impressed), Biktrix Kutty LT, Sondors Fold and Sondors Fold X (only a 30-day warranty so you've been warned). These are all sold online only, so unless you know someone with one you won't be able to take a test ride. Voltbike has an Ambassador program where owners who have enrolled will let prospective buyers in their area take a test ride. If the tester ends up buying a Voltbike, the Ambassador gets $100 from Voltbike. This is how I was able to test drive a Mariner here on O'ahu.

I went with the Elux Sierra although no one seems to talk about it. It comes with a hidden battery compartment within the frame which i loved. Also, they seem to have a solid reputation for their other bikes, and from people in the ebike world.

Also, theyre customer service has been decent so far. I have a personal line to their co-owner lol. I may be doing a video with the bike once it comes, maybe.

For starters, you've got the Voltbike Mariner (just rode one yesterday and I was impressed), Biktrix Kutty LT, Sondors Fold and Sondors Fold X (only a 30-day warranty so you've been warned). These are all sold online only, so unless you know someone with one you won't be able to take a test ride. Voltbike has an Ambassador program where owners who have enrolled will let prospective buyers in their area take a test ride. If the tester ends up buying a Voltbike, the Ambassador gets $100 from Voltbike. This is how I was able to test drive a Mariner here on O'ahu.

I've been comparing the Sondors Fold X to the Radmin. I've heard of the Mariner. Seems that the Radmini might be the best value with 14ah and rack and lights included. I'll keep researching though.

I've been comparing the Sondors Fold X to the Radmin. I've heard of the Mariner. Seems that the Radmini might be the best value with 14ah and rack and lights included. I'll keep researching though.
I love the look of the Sondors Fold X, but I don't have much faith in a product whose company won't offer you more than 30 days warranty. Their selling price is now close to other folders offering a 1 to 2 year warranty.

When comparing any bike, compare components as well as the not so talked about stuff like standover height, handlebar height and reach, weight, etc. A definite letdown when you finally find an affordable bike online with all the right components only to unbox it and realize the fit for your body just isn't right. Easy to avoid with a pre-sales test drive.

Tern has a couple of nice options. Also, not sure about your budget, but you might also want to consider the "compact" bikes (many with folding handlebars) such as Riese & Muller Tinker, Wallerang Tjugo, Haibike Radius Tour.

One thing I can say about folding bikes- they are all heavy (except maybe a Brompton) and a motor makes it much worse to carry around. I had a Tern and the handlebar stem hinge went, but fortunately I bought it from REI and was able to return it. You have to be cautious about looking for cracks in the welds and stay on top of the maintenance on folders. Still, I’m seriously looking at the RadMIni too, but damn, that thing is a monster. I’m a little worried about the handlebar height. I second what irishnutter said about considering a compact bike if you don’t really need a folder. They’ll be a lot more sturdy, and if I didn’t have to worry so much about thieves, I’d definitely prefer the RM Tinker.

Still, I’m seriously looking at the RadMIni too, but damn, that thing is a monster. I’m a little worried about the handlebar height.
If you get a chance, check out this guy's YouTube video where he calls out the handlebar height between the 2017 and 2018 RadMini. I'm hoping to test ride the RadMini next month at Rad Power's store while on business in Seattle. I was blown away with my recent test ride of the Voltbike Mariner, but it would be nice to be able to ride the RadMini for comparison sake. Rad charges a hefty $400 to ship any Rad bike to Hawaii. Voltbike only charges an extra $70 on top of their normal shipping fee of $50.

One thing I can say about folding bikes- they are all heavy (except maybe a Brompton) and a motor makes it much worse to carry around. I had a Tern and the handlebar stem hinge went, but fortunately I bought it from REI and was able to return it. You have to be cautious about looking for cracks in the welds and stay on top of the maintenance on folders. Still, I’m seriously looking at the RadMIni too, but damn, that thing is a monster. I’m a little worried about the handlebar height. I second what irishnutter said about considering a compact bike if you don’t really need a folder. They’ll be a lot more sturdy, and if I didn’t have to worry so much about thieves, I’d definitely prefer the RM Tinker.
Brompton or Bike Friday, the only two I'd take, and build from kits. 36V modular battery and small hub motor from Grin, ebikes.ca http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/brompton-kit.html

Maybe the Bike Friday eBike folder, I like some features.
https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/electric-assist-e-bike-system-overview/

I'm hoping to test ride the RadMini next month at Rad Power's store while on business in Seattle. I was blown away with my recent test ride of the Voltbike Mariner, but it would be nice to be able to ride the RadMini for comparison sake. Rad charges a hefty $400 to ship any Rad bike to Hawaii. Voltbike only charges an extra $70 on top of their normal shipping fee of $50.

I saw the Gear Junkie review, and that's why I'm also waiting until I can test a RadMIni out someplace before I purchase one. Please post your opinion of it if/when you get to test ride one. Shipping to HI is a bummer- ha, I had looked at cheap property in Leilani Estates awhile back that is now covered with lava :) Also considered something in HOVE, but I value my lungs.
I wonder if a RadMini would make it to the upper part of HOVE with my weight on it? (In eco mode, of course...)

Brompton or Bike Friday, the only two I'd take, and build from kits. 36V modular battery and small hub motor from Grin, ebikes.ca http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/brompton-kit.html

Maybe the Bike Friday eBike folder, I like some features.
https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/electric-assist-e-bike-system-overview/

I like the Brompton, but I weigh too much. Bike Friday makes a diamond frame that I considered, but they are pretty pricey. I thought that if a RadMIni frame is decent enough, I could do a BBSHD conversion later, if I needed to.
I do ride dirt and a fatty would be much more fun than the skinnier tire folders, even though they are back-breakers to lift.

I'm hoping to test ride the RadMini next month at Rad Power's store while on business in Seattle. I was blown away with my recent test ride of the Voltbike Mariner, but it would be nice to be able to ride the RadMini for comparison sake. Rad charges a hefty $400 to ship any Rad bike to Hawaii. Voltbike only charges an extra $70 on top of their normal shipping fee of $50.

I saw the Gear Junkie review, and that's why I'm also waiting until I can test a RadMIni out someplace before I purchase one. Please post your opinion of it if/when you get to test ride one. Shipping to HI is a bummer- ha, I had looked at cheap property in Leilani Estates awhile back that is now covered with lava :) Also considered something in HOVE, but I value my lungs.
I wonder if a RadMini would make it to the upper part of HOVE with my weight on it? (In eco mode, of course...)
I'll definitely post an update on my test ride of the RadMini AND Rad Rover, which should be the third week in June.

I own a RadMini. I think the handlebar height is very dependent on the length of the riders upper body. I am 5'6" with a 30" inseam. I looked at my 2017 Mini today and I have raised the handle bars 2" +/-. from the bottom setting. It would be nice if you can find one to try out. There is a Rad owners facebook page where you may find an owner in your area.

I like the Brompton, but I weigh too much. Bike Friday makes a diamond frame that I considered, but they are pretty pricey. I thought that if a RadMIni frame is decent enough, I could do a BBSHD conversion later, if I needed to.
I do ride dirt and a fatty would be much more fun than the skinnier tire folders, even though they are back-breakers to lift.
Brampton May be the strongest for heavyweights. Edit, damn spiel chicker doesn’t like Bompton!

Two of the best names in the folding bike genre are Brompton and Bike Friday, but prices are are far beyond what I care to spend on a single bike.

I prefer the Bike Friday approach. Geared motors make more sense for a smaller package. The mid drive might work for a bike that isn't folded often (like ours). Both use those nice LiGo batteries from Grin.

My wife prefers to ride a 20" folder for maneuverabilty. She has a big beach cruiser and a 700cc step-thru to ride, both electric. I ride a 20" when we ride together. Skinny tires. Don't care about power, so a small battery is good for 20 mile. I can carry two extra in a pannier bag to give us 40 miles. That's a lot of seat time.

I saw a video on YouTube for a 52v upgrade as well as uncapping the speed to 25mph. BBSHD would be cool too

I'll definitely post an update on my test ride of the RadMini AND Rad Rover, which should be the third week in June.
Has anyone identified the new battery case for 2018? RadRover and others use the same.

Back