Suggestions For a Budget Long Range Foldable?

I'd been toying with the idea of foldable bikes to carry on our boat, for use in exploring the various ports and islands in the area. And possibly for lugging in the car on road trips if the mood strikes. Hadn't seriously considered ebikes until I happened across a review of the Fiido L2, and kinda fell in love with it.

The compact look, the 350W motor, the cheap price, and especially the 20AH battery just spoke to me. Unfortunately Fiido seems to have mysteriously discontinued this model, and there's nothing else on their website or on the drawing board with that powerful a motor or that amount of battery power.

Their D2S model is attractive, but with less power under the hood, I'm not sure it's suitable for cruising down barren and hilly island roads.

Shopping in the same price range, I came across the Lectric XP.

It's powerful, with a sufficient battery capacity for the application, but it's also bulkier. If the online measurements are accurate, its folded size is a full 7 inches longer than the D2S, and most likely wider too. I mean I guess there's room for them on the boat, but I'm not 100% sure about getting them in the conservative trunk of my Mustang. I'd have to test that.

I'm 6'1 and 212, my gf is about 5'5. Looking for a bike capable of going throttle-only for long distances. Having to pedal assist on a hill isn't a deal breaker, but 350W or higher is better I think. Speed isn't a concern for us. "Asian style" small wheel designs are probably a little better for storing and transporting. Probably be ready to purchase after Christmas. $1000-ish budget.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

I'd been toying with the idea of foldable bikes to carry on our boat, for use in exploring the various ports and islands in the area. And possibly for lugging in the car on road trips if the mood strikes. Hadn't seriously considered ebikes until I happened across a review of the Fiido L2, and kinda fell in love with it.

The compact look, the 350W motor, the cheap price, and especially the 20AH battery just spoke to me. Unfortunately Fiido seems to have mysteriously discontinued this model, and there's nothing else on their website or on the drawing board with that powerful a motor or that amount of battery power.

Their D2S model is attractive, but with less power under the hood, I'm not sure it's suitable for cruising down barren and hilly island roads.

Shopping in the same price range, I came across the Lectric XP.

It's powerful, with a sufficient battery capacity for the application, but it's also bulkier. If the online measurements are accurate, its folded size is a full 7 inches longer than the D2S, and most likely wider too. I mean I guess there's room for them on the boat, but I'm not 100% sure about getting them in the conservative trunk of my Mustang. I'd have to test that.

I'm 6'1 and 212, my gf is about 5'5. Looking for a bike capable of going throttle-only for long distances. Having to pedal assist on a hill isn't a deal breaker, but 350W or higher is better I think. Speed isn't a concern for us. "Asian style" small wheel designs are probably a little better for storing and transporting. Probably be ready to purchase after Christmas. $1000-ish budget.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Lectric XP cant go wrong for 900

Take a look at the EBR list of Best Folding Electric Bikes of 2020... the Travel bikes have 16" tires. ;)

Folding electric bikes are popular for their compact design, which allows easier transport and storage vs. full sized ebikes. They usually fold in the middle, at the handlebar, and the pedals, becoming small enough to fit on boats, RVs, and private planes. In addition to providing powered assist, electric folding bikes need to be tough enough to be laid on their sides and jostled around during transport. Whether you’re a traveler or just limited on space, here are our top picks for the best folding ebikes of 2020. See all the details and even more winners on our best folding electric bikes page.

Best Travel Folding Electric Bikes of 2020
Explore all of the compact travel-sized folding electric bikes I’ve reviewed (ordered by date) on the category page here.
Premium

Blix Vika Travel Review

• MSRP: $1,499
One of the most compact folding electric bikes around, only weighs ~40 lbs, uses smaller 16-inch tires and shorter 140 mm crank arms, long seat post and telescoping stem conform to a wide range of riders.
An efficient 250 watt planetary geared hub motor gets a mechanical advantage from the smaller wheel… Read Review
Value

JupiterBike Discovery Review

• MSRP: $1,295
A futuristic, small, compact, and lightweight folding ebike with rear suspension, fenders, cast rims, and is said to be approved by the FAA to travel by plane.
A lot of comfort and features like comfort gel saddle, rear suspension, ergonomic grips, electric… Read Review
Affordable

Qualisports Nemo Review

• MSRP: $899
An affordable and lightweight bike that hides its electric system in the frame and seat post, MXUS hub-drive, 36v 7ah battery, and mechanical brakes with motor inhibitors.
The bike folds well, you can walk it when folded or even slide the seat…
Read Review

Last edited:
In my opinion, the 20 incher fatties are kind of big to haul two in a car. I dunno about boats. Anyway, I have one of them ubiquitous fat tire folders. It's never been nowhere, poor bike, Stays home while the other bikes get to ride in cars. But it's not a bad bike to ride around at home.

Here's your Fiido L2 on amazon. Full suspension on 16" wheels.
Yeah, can find them on Amazon if you dig around, but they're unavailable and Fiido removed them from their website. I messaged them and they confirmed they're discontinued. I'm hoping they come back, but it doesn't look good.

Thanks for the insight on the 20 incher.

They're probably discontinued because they use an old, serviceable, but expensive battery style, It's a metal casing with two molded plastic end pieces and a bunch of metal bits. The metal casing can be made longer to fit enough cells to get 20AH. My own fat tire folder uses a similar battery behind the seat, but it's only 10 or 12AH.

Folders that integrate the battery inside the frame or even in the seat tube will not be able to carry 20AH. In those cases, you will have to carry a spare in a saddlebag as a spare.

Here's a pic stolen from the Lectric XP F/B page showing two of their bikes in laundry tubs. You might have a big boat.

Lectric inna  tub.jpg

They're probably discontinued because they use an old, serviceable, but expensive battery style, It's a metal casing with two molded plastic end pieces and a bunch of metal bits. The metal casing can be made longer to fit enough cells to get 20AH. My own fat tire folder uses a similar battery behind the seat, but it's only 10 or 12AH.

Folders that integrate the battery inside the frame or even in the seat tube will not be able to carry 20AH. In those cases, you will have to carry a spare in a saddlebag as a spare.

Here's a pic stolen from the Lectric XP F/B page showing two of their bikes in laundry tubs. You might have a big boat.

View attachment 68955
Hmm they look pretty big. They'd fit on the boat, but they'd be in the way, and fitting them in the car would be a pain.

The D2S is looking better, but I still wish it had slightly better specs. Maybe something will turn up in the next few months.

Yeah, just went out and measured. With a listed 18 inch folded width, the Lextric XP won't fit through the trunk opening. So scratch that one.

Can probably disqualify all fat tire bikes.

Id check out the Qualisports Nemo, its a great little folder that only weighs 30lbs including the battery. It starts at 899 but you can get a discount for 150 using their little discount spinner email thing (just keep using emails for spins) so @ 750 for the bike its not a bad deal at all... I had the Qualisports Dolphin so I can vouch for their bikes being quality.

Maybe check out the Swagtron EB7, Its also a pretty nice small and light folder that I think would accommodate your needs for a decent price @ 699

This is a bit late, the "Ecotric Dolphin" is an affordable 36v 12 ah fattie, its a step through with the 500w motor its a climber too.The one I bought was$779 and I traded it to a friend and let me tell you He put it through a real trial.Due to its configuration, it folds up really nice and the battery seems to have good endurance.

Back