sudden power loss

Robert Bjoraker

over three year old battery. left uncharged in basement over winter. got new charger and seems to power up fine. after 3 miles of riding in high mode i go from the third light blinking to 1st light only blinking with sudden power loss to very low power( maybe a safe mode?). get home slowly and plug it in and voila, 3rd light is blinking as if it is almost fully charged... this repeats itself. have tried conditioning/levelling the battery. does not help. what do you think?

Had the same experience with my old battery, replaced the battery and problem solved. Just get a new battery. What's the model of your ebike?

it is an 800Li. from way back. this is second battery but older so no surprise. wish the battery could be easily removed. its quite hard to get them out.

it is an 800Li. from way back. this is second battery but older so no surprise. wish the battery could be easily removed. its quite hard to get them out.
I assume it's an Optibike, and it has a 36 volt, 20ah Li-Ion.
Here's the rest of the spec:
Performance and frame specifications:
Stock Range: 45 miles - electric only; 57 miles - moderate pedaling
Stock run time: 1 hour in fast mode; 2.25 hours in economy mode
Top Speed: 20 mph - electric only; 27 mph-light pedal assist; 34 + mph - moderate pedaling assist
Battery Type: 36 volt, 20ah Li-Ion
Motor Type: High efficiency, brushless DC motor with rare earth, Neodymium Iron Boron magnets
Motor Drive: Patented Motorized Bottom Bracket (MBB)
Controller: Derivative Power Control (DPC)
Motor Power: 800w continuous power
Charge Time: 7 hours
Overall Weight: 57 lbs.
Suspension: Stock full suspension. Front: Fox 32 Talas RLC Fork; Rear: Fox Float RP23 Shock
Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbon
Gears: Shimano XT 7 speed derailleur
Shifter: Sram Grip-Shift
Frame: Monocoque aluminum frame
Headset: Cane Creek 110
Color: Red
Wheels: Mavic 26" wheels, Cross trail Disk
Lights: Integrated dual beam UltraBright 10w Halogen headlamp
Source: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Here is the dissaembly of the battery and it is mentioned that All Cell may be the battery vendor.
https://www.electricbike.com/optibike-battery-pack/
In any case, frame still has to be taken apart plus the battery itself could easily cost you in the low one thousand dollars. And it is an old ebike with throttle only and no PAS. To me it is not worth the hassle.

For slightly more money, you get what I believe will be a better bike like the VoltBike enduro.

here's the rest of the info. https://electricbikereview.com/voltbike/enduro/

I don't know what I am going to do about the optibike, but this is very helpful? Thanks
I am going to get a Stromer though.
You will be switching from full suspension to a fully rigid and heavier ebike. Every bump on the road will be more tangible and even magnified at higher speeds. That's too much wear and tear to your body on long rides. For me, comfort comes first so I can endure and even enjoy longer rides.
You might want to consider one of these (all of them are capable to 28 mph) :
this and just add a body float seat tube for road isolation;
or this;
Or this;

Got a wonderful deal on stromer and got the body float seat tube. If I need the shock I will upgrade the front suspension but that will be expensive LOL
Wonderful bikes out there now
Good time to be an ebiker unlike 6 years ago when the selections were more meager
Thank you very much for the awesome help!
Rode my opti on eco mode and easily makes it to hospital where I can recharge
Miss full hill power though and higher top speed

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a wonderful deal on stromer and got the body float seat tube. If I need the shock I will upgrade the front suspension but that will be expensive LOL
Wonderful bikes out there now
Good time to be an ebiker unlike 6 years ago when the selections were more meager
Thank you very much for the awesome help!
Rode my opti on eco mode and easily makes it to hospital where I can recharge
Miss full hill power though and higher top speed

Robert,
I kind of remember that symptom, back when I had an Opti. I think I had to charge the bike with the bike turned ON to reset the battery. It may also be the battery getting old and a weak cell.

Back