Sub $3000 Leisure/Commuter Bike For Hilly Area [Final Choice: Priority Current]

I unfortunately have exclusively ridden in cities, so I can't help. Also, the most recent Current is shipping with slightly different tires. I'd ask Priority to confirm what those are (or just wait and see!).

Regarding Shimano vs Enviolo - I'd say the Enviolo is overall regarded as a more premium hub. I like the discrete gears on the Shimano better than continuous gearing, but that's about it. The Enviolo will have bigger gearing ratio, allowing you to climb hills better. There's also the matter that these Shimano hubs are theoretically rated for a smaller torque than this bike outputs, so we don't know about durability.

Overall, I don't regret getting the Shimano, but for a hilly city, I would highly consider the Enviolo.

Since you got the Shimano - are you a Costco member? Did you buy it through Costco?
I just ordered the Current for my wife despite my better judgement about the limited gear range of the Shimano Inter-5 hub and the terrain we have here in the east bay hills. I like to ride my own e-bike unpowered 95% of the time, so my main concern with the Shimano hub is that the lowest gear is not that low. My wife will just have to use the motor more often. The Enviolo was a no-go because the effective price difference is $600 with the current set of promotions available.

I know this bike has shipped with either WTB Horizon or Goodyear Transit Tour in the past, so I asked Priority and they said that this batch should ship with WTB but that is subject to change without notice. I'm hoping for the WTB tires as they have a reputation as a viable road tire, and I would like this bike to be as efficient as possible. The Goodyears are more of an unknown quantity but seem to be less of a road tire. My bike arrives on Monday, so I'll find out then.

@Doggyman1202 if you read reviews of the WTB Horizon tires, I don't think you'll be so concerned about some dirt and packed gravel.

I unfortunately have exclusively ridden in cities, so I can't help. Also, the most recent Current is shipping with slightly different tires. I'd ask Priority to confirm what those are (or just wait and see!).

Regarding Shimano vs Enviolo - I'd say the Enviolo is overall regarded as a more premium hub. I like the discrete gears on the Shimano better than continuous gearing, but that's about it. The Enviolo will have bigger gearing ratio, allowing you to climb hills better. There's also the matter that these Shimano hubs are theoretically rated for a smaller torque than this bike outputs, so we don't know about durability.

Overall, I don't regret getting the Shimano, but for a hilly city, I would highly consider the Enviolo.

Since you got the Shimano - are you a Costco member? Did you buy it through Costco?
The Enviolo certainly piqued my curiosity the way most new toys do, and I might regret the decision, especially because I live on a mountain. (The Cycle Volta critic, who otherwise wrote a very positive review didn't like the Enviolo at all, and that influenced my decision as well). On the other hand, I'm purely an exercise and recreational rider. I don't like to think too much about shifting when riding unless I have to. If I still lived in a big city navigating traffic, different story. I just want to enjoy the ride and don't mind a little workout.

I originally read most of this thread months ago, and really had no intention of buying one, but that was before I was really bitten by the e-bike bug. I came back to this thread a day after the purchase (Sunday) and was reminded of the Costco discount. The closest Costco is two hours away, but would have been worth the $60 membership fee for this alone. Do Costco customers pick up the bike physically at Costco? In any case, I did use the Electrek code and received a $300 discount off sticker. The bike is being shipped to a local shop through their "Beeline" network for assembly. I'll ask those guys about the tires.

I just ordered the Current for my wife despite my better judgement about the limited gear range of the Shimano Inter-5 hub and the terrain we have here in the east bay hills. I like to ride my own e-bike unpowered 95% of the time, so my main concern with the Shimano hub is that the lowest gear is not that low. My wife will just have to use the motor more often. The Enviolo was a no-go because the effective price difference is $600 with the current set of promotions available.

I know this bike has shipped with either WTB Horizon or Goodyear Transit Tour in the past, so I asked Priority and they said that this batch should ship with WTB but that is subject to change without notice. I'm hoping for the WTB tires as they have a reputation as a viable road tire, and I would like this bike to be as efficient as possible. The Goodyears are more of an unknown quantity but seem to be less of a road tire. My bike arrives on Monday, so I'll find out then.

@Doggyman1202 if you read reviews of the WTB Horizon tires, I don't think you'll be so concerned about some dirt and packed gravel.
Thank you for that. Do you have the Enviolo now for yourself? I'd be very curious to hear how they compare by someone that has ridden both.

In the end, I recommend not overthinking it and just enjoying the purchase. I have no regrets on my Current. As we've debated extensively in this thread, it's not the perfect bike, but it's a fantastic option at its price point.

@ephemere As an out of shape dude, I very rarely ride it with assist off. It's fine to do so for sport (i.e. purposely trying to exert yourself) and I often turn it off when I'm slowly strolling through the beach, for example. However, it does feel significantly harder. This is not a super lightweight bike and there is some drag. I wouldn't recommend riding on hills without motor with the gearing available here. Honestly, for me, I don't think I would have wanted to ride it unassisted with the Enviolo either, so you will have to reach your own conclusions when you get the bike.

@Doggyman1202 I think with the right expectations, you will be just fine! Just give it a few weeks to get used to the bike before reaching any conclusions - it will pay off! For the Costco deal (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) you actually just buy it straight from Priority, but the Costco website redirects you to their website with a discount, if you have the membership.

Thank you for that. Do you have the Enviolo now for yourself? I'd be very curious to hear how they compare by someone that has ridden both.
No, my e-bike (and the only one I've ever ridden) is the BMC Alpenchallenge AMP Cross Ltd, which is a lightweight (as e-bikes go) carbon bike with Shimano XT Di2 11-speed groupset. I bought last fall when I found a deal I could not pass up. As it turns out, I ride it 95% of the time unassisted and now wish I had just stuck with my acoustic gravel bike which was just gathering dust. The Priority Current is definitely not the bike for me.

I've never ridden a bike with an IGH and am curious about it. I got a medium for my wife, but with the adjustable stem I should be able to give it a whirl.

Have you watched the Priority video explaining the difference between Enviolo and Shimano? The choice between them is not so clear.

No, my e-bike (and the only one I've ever ridden) is the BMC Alpenchallenge AMP Cross Ltd, which is a lightweight (as e-bikes go) carbon bike with Shimano XT Di2 11-speed groupset. I bought last fall when I found a deal I could not pass up. As it turns out, I ride it 95% of the time unassisted and now wish I had just stuck with my acoustic gravel bike which was just gathering dust. The Priority Current is definitely not the bike for me.

I've never ridden a bike with an IGH and am curious about it. I got a medium for my wife, but with the adjustable stem I should be able to give it a whirl.

Have you watched the Priority video explaining the difference between Enviolo and Shimano? The choice between them is not so clear.
Lighter than my non-electric beach cruiser :D

Yes. I did watch the video, and agree it's not a clear-cut choice. I do get a big kick out of the graphic guidance on the Enviolo, but while it's apples and oranges, I don't particularly like CVT transmissions on cars, and it might feel even weirder on an e-bike.

The other bike I considered seriously was the Carbo X. It's a totally different animal than the Priority Current, but checks as many boxes (albeit somewhat different boxes) as the Priority Current, even though it has its own set of compromises (mainly low power). I was ready to order one, but the 60 day delivery time killed it. (Pretty hard to ride here in north country past mid October).

There are not too many compromises on the Current for my preferences. I'm optimistic because: A) I've been dealing with chain grease, maintenance, and chain derailleur issues since I was a kid long ago. I'm really eager to give belt drive a-go. B) Plenty of power, which in the e-bike world, isn't always combined with...C) Comfort. D) More than adequate range for my travel purposes. E) While I'm reasonably tall and trim (5'11", 165lbs) I'm a bionic man without the super strength. I have a lot of metal in my bones from previous misadventures, which were mainly skiing accidents. I don't enjoy climbing over things anymore, and the Currents mid-step is a perfect compromise. F) I admit it's very superficial, and a non-issue if you asked me last year, but I've developed an aesthetic aversion to bolted on batteries. I like the fairly stealthy look of the Current. G) Super customer service, at least so far. H) And maybe the most important thing is that I can ride it without peddle assist if I need or want to.

Negatives: A) Weight. It's average for an e-bike, but the Carbo X I considered weighs 20lbs. less, so no need for a bike rack for that folder. B) Like others have mentioned, it's essentially a leap of faith concerning the motor durability. C) I wish it was a little more suited for light trail riding, but I'm hoping to work around that.

I don't consider lack of throttle a plus or minus. I'll never use one, and if it adds even a pound of weight, I'd rather not have it. I've also never tested a torque sensor, or mid-drive motor for that matter, but look forward to experiencing both.

Last edited:
The other bike I considered seriously was the Carbo X. It's a totally different animal than the Priority Current, but checks as many boxes (albeit somewhat different boxes) as the Priority Current, even though it has its own set of compromises (mainly low power). I was ready to order one, but the 60 day delivery time killed it. (Pretty hard to ride here in north country past mid October).
I hadn't seen that bike before. It looks very nice. And very different from the Current, as you say.

My wife's decision to go do the Current shared pretty much all of your positives and negatives. Except negative (C). I'm optimistic that it will be good enough for some trails.

I hadn't seen that bike before. It looks very nice. And very different from the Current, as you say.

My wife's decision to go do the Current shared pretty much all of your positives and negatives. Except negative (C). I'm optimistic that it will be good enough for some trails.
BTW, Carbo did offer a 15 day shipping expedite option during my online chat, but it was $540 (or very close to that). If they were willing to split that, I likely would have completed the purchase. The Carbo X also offered options for a bigger battery and motor although I don't remember the exact specs. I would want to know the added weight of those options too, but again, the 60 day shipping/exorbitant expedited delivery choice put the kibosh on my purchase.

@Achterbahn How would you describe the pedaling sensation of the Current? I've had mine for a couple weeks, and sometimes it feels a little ... maybe grindy feeling? Not sure if it's coming from the motor itself or the Shimano hub. Sometimes I notice more than others. I'm not sure if this is a common e-bike thing or not because I've never had one. Not sure if this makes sense how I'm describing it.

I keep my power assist at 5 most of the time. I first noticed the gritty/grindy sensation when I was starting from a stop (on flat terrain), in 5th gear at power assist 5. It's like the power assist didn't really want kick in immediately. Then it's felt gritty.

@Achterbahn How would you describe the pedaling sensation of the Current? I've had mine for a couple weeks, and sometimes it feels a little ... maybe grindy feeling? Not sure if it's coming from the motor itself or the Shimano hub. Sometimes I notice more than others. I'm not sure if this is a common e-bike thing or not because I've never had one. Not sure if this makes sense how I'm describing it.

I keep my power assist at 5 most of the time. I first noticed the gritty/grindy sensation when I was starting from a stop (on flat terrain), in 5th gear at power assist 5. It's like the power assist didn't really want kick in immediately. Then it's felt gritty.
How does it feel to you without any power assist?

How does it feel to you without any power assist?
When I ride on the bike without any power assist it feels smooth. I guess what I'm feeling as I add power assist is the sensation of the torque kicking in. But sometimes the torque feels pretty smooth and sometimes less smooth. But I'm still scratching my head about why if I start from a stop on gear 5 and power assist level 5, sometimes power assist just won't kick in. I'm wondering if there's an issue with doing just that, causing the torque assist to skip/slip or something.

But I'm still scratching my head about why if I start from a stop on gear 5 and power assist level 5, sometimes power assist just won't kick in.
When you say it doesn't kick in from a dead stop, does it finally kick in once you are moving under your own power? If so, I wonder if the torque sensor just isn't good at sensing torque from a dead stop.

There has been some discussion (users, reviews, etc.) about how the firmware of the Current tends to ramp up the power when first engaged, giving some people a sensation that it is not as responsive as other bikes. And now there is some alternative firmware that makes it more responsive. I asked Priority about this, and they suggested starting with the stock firmware which they say "works best for almost everyone". You might want to reach out to Priority.

Also, when you say "gritty", do you mean you can feel a sensation in the pedals that's not completely smooth, whereas when the motor is off it is completely smooth? I wonder if this is the torque sensor rapidly modulating the motor assist in a non-smooth way in response to variations in your pedal force. My only e-bike experience is with a Shimano E8000 motor. The amount of assist that motor provides definitely oscillates in sync with me, since the force I apply is not constant throughout a single revolution, but it still feels totally smooth.

My wife's Current will arrive in a few days, and then I'll be able to compare it with my BMC with the Shimano motor. She got a medium, and I'm 6'1", but I should be able to fit well enough to test it.

When I ride on the bike without any power assist it feels smooth. I guess what I'm feeling as I add power assist is the sensation of the torque kicking in. But sometimes the torque feels pretty smooth and sometimes less smooth. But I'm still scratching my head about why if I start from a stop on gear 5 and power assist level 5, sometimes power assist just won't kick in. I'm wondering if there's an issue with doing just that, causing the torque assist to skip/slip or something.
Regarding the smoothness, without know exactly your experience, I'd say it's normal. Indeed, the bike feels much smoother without assist, but that's natural. It would be hard for the motor action to be perfectly smooth. I think this is more noticeable when you're having the motor do a lot and all of the work, such as starting from a stop at really high gear with a lot of motor power. I'd also be cautious about doing that, since you're really stressing most components to the maximum. I am a newbie when it comes to bike mechanics, but I'd be afraid this would affect the longevity on the bike if done all the time.

Regarding the smoothness, without know exactly your experience, I'd say it's normal. Indeed, the bike feels much smoother without assist, but that's natural. It would be hard for the motor action to be perfectly smooth. I think this is more noticeable when you're having the motor do a lot and all of the work, such as starting from a stop at really high gear with a lot of motor power. I'd also be cautious about doing that, since you're really stressing most components to the maximum. I am a newbie when it comes to bike mechanics, but I'd be afraid this would affect the longevity on the bike if done all the time.
Agree with this. When I use the motor (on my BMC), I try to emulate what a moderately stronger rider would do on an unpowered bike, which means choosing lower gears and lower assist levels rather than the maximum the bike is capable of. In an unpowered bike, you wouldn't start from a dead stop on flat ground in the highest gear, although if you're strong enough you might reach top gear on 0 grade after picking up speed.

I'm treating this as the de facto discussion thread for the Priority Current since there is no sub forum for Priority here on EBR. Facebook does have a Priority owners group but most of those discussions relate to their regular pedal bikes.

In any case...Much to the bewildered bemusement of family and friends, the Current is my third E-bike purchase this year. The trial and error learning curve really didn't cost much (I sold both previous bikes for close to what I paid) but I now have a much better perspective about e-bikes overall. I'm still in the "first impression" stages with the Current but in most respects it is meeting or exceeding my expectations. It is as comfortable and smooth to ride as I could have hoped, even on a few challenging gravel surfaces. My only nitpick was the rattling front fender, which I removed rather than tighten. (I'm completely agnostic about bike fenders anyway).

I'm still wrestling with the best way to transport the bike. I was on the verge of buying a platform rack for my 2019 VW Tiguan, but the only one for sale around here (Yakima Holdup) looked like a bigger hassle to use than just hoisting the bike into the cargo area. It does fit, but maneuvering it in and out is tough on my aching back. Does anyone here regularly remove the front tire on their Priority bike? I noticed that Priority does not refer to the lever as a quick release. They call it a "tool-free thru axle". I'm not sure if there's a practical difference, but a wheel is not something I want to experiment with and then hope-for-the-best. If anyone here has some experience with it, I'd really appreciate their feedback before I monkey around with mine.

I'm treating this as the de facto discussion thread for the Priority Current since there is no sub forum for Priority here on EBR. Facebook does have a Priority owners group but most of those discussions relate to their regular pedal bikes.

In any case...Much to the bewildered bemusement of family and friends, the Current is my third E-bike purchase this year. The trial and error learning curve really didn't cost much (I sold both previous bikes for close to what I paid) but I now have a much better perspective about e-bikes overall. I'm still in the "first impression" stages with the Current but in most respects it is meeting or exceeding my expectations. It is as comfortable and smooth to ride as I could have hoped, even on a few challenging gravel surfaces. My only nitpick was the rattling front fender, which I removed rather than tighten. (I'm completely agnostic about bike fenders anyway).

I'm still wrestling with the best way to transport the bike. I was on the verge of buying a platform rack for my 2019 VW Tiguan, but the only one for sale around here (Yakima Holdup) looked like a bigger hassle to use than just hoisting the bike into the cargo area. It does fit, but maneuvering it in and out is tough on my aching back. Does anyone here regularly remove the front tire on their Priority bike? I noticed that Priority does not refer to the lever as a quick release. They call it a "tool-free thru axle". I'm not sure if there's a practical difference, but a wheel is not something I want to experiment with and then hope-for-the-best. If anyone here has some experience with it, I'd really appreciate their feedback before I monkey around with mine.
Congrats on the bike! I can't offer much advice about transporting it, as the Current is literally my primary means of transportation.

Regarding removing the front wheel, I've only done it a couple of times, but it's pretty easy. All you have to do is open the cam, rotate it counter clockwise to unscrew the axle until it slides out and you're done. Putting it back is the same process, just have to make sure that the brake rotor fits appropriately between the pads and that the wheel is properly positioned overall.

Does anyone here regularly remove the front tire on their Priority bike?
It's super easy. Priority has posted a Youtube video on how to assemble the Current. (Do a search to find it.) You can watch him put the front wheel on.

The biggest issue with removing the wheel is that you must never apply the brakes while the wheel is off. Because they're hydraulic, the pads will close up, and it's a pain to get them back apart. If you make this mistake once, you will likely never make it again. For this reason, I always save the plastic brake pad spacer that comes with bikes with hydraulic brakes and put them in whenever I take the front wheel off. It sounds like you had someone else assemble your bike. Did they give you the plastic spacer? If not, you can buy one for a few bucks.

I got my Current two days ago. What tires does yours have? Priority told me this batch has the WTBs (Horizon), but I got the Goodyears (Transit Tour). Too bad -- I prefer the WTBs. My bike also has Promax brakes rather than the Tektro that you see in most pictures and reviews.

I'm curious: What were your other two e-bikes, and how would you compare the Current with them?

Congrats on the bike! I can't offer much advice about transporting it, as the Current is literally my primary means of transportation.

Regarding removing the front wheel, I've only done it a couple of times, but it's pretty easy. All you have to do is open the cam, rotate it counter clockwise to unscrew the axle until it slides out and you're done. Putting it back is the same process, just have to make sure that the brake rotor fits appropriately between the pads and that the wheel is properly positioned overall.
Thanks! I do worry about the brakes getting misaligned accidentally with the wheel off. Removing the battery also makes the lift easier, but my bike mechanic warns against that as a practice, given some potential issues with the contacts. (He was not referring to the Current per se, but e-bikes in general). I'll have to experiment though going forward, and might wind up with a rack after all.

As for the bike itself, I think Priority chose the seat wisely for a wide variety of butts, and my backside is okay with it. Since it's a relatively inexpensive upgrade though, I'm thinking of getting a wider saddle, and perhaps a suspension seat post.
It's super easy. Priority has posted a Youtube video on how to assemble the Current. (Do a search to find it.) You can watch him put the front wheel on.

The biggest issue with removing the wheel is that you must never apply the brakes while the wheel is off. Because they're hydraulic, the pads will close up, and it's a pain to get them back apart. If you make this mistake once, you will likely never make it again. For this reason, I always save the plastic brake pad spacer that comes with bikes with hydraulic brakes and put them in whenever I take the front wheel off. It sounds like you had someone else assemble your bike. Did they give you the plastic spacer? If not, you can buy one for a few bucks.

I got my Current two days ago. What tires does yours have? Priority told me this batch has the WTBs (Horizon), but I got the Goodyears (Transit Tour). Too bad -- I prefer the WTBs. My bike also has Promax brakes rather than the Tektro that you see in most pictures and reviews.

I'm curious: What were your other two e-bikes, and how would you compare the Current with them?
Thanks! I had the bike assembled by a mechanic within Priority's "Beeline" network. (For any fellow Vermonters that might read this thread sometime, the local store is called Green Mountain Bikes, and the owner is a great guy). The mechanic went above and beyond custom fitting the seat and handlebars precisely when I picked it up, but I did not leave with the spacers or know enough to ask for them. With that said, I'll definitely look for them. (Is this something carried on Amazon?). I've been warned in the past about not applying the brakes with the wheel off, but concerned it might happen anyway if the handlebars are not properly seated in the car, or jolted a little while driving.

My Current also came with the Goodyear Transit Tour tires (and I think the Promax brakes but I'd have to double check). I'm not disappointed about the tires at all. I believe they're nominally wider (50mm) than the WTB and have decent tread. I'm pleasantly surprised by the overall secure road feel, and having crashed a bike with hydraulic brakes (very twitchy, but I blame myself for not getting accustomed to them initially) I'm very comfortable with the smooth response and stopping power of these brakes.

I believe I was the first kid on my block to ride an e-bike back in 2008. I rented one when I got off the ferry on Catalina Island. I was so impressed that I rented it again for my second day on the island. The bike was produced by an Italian manufacturer (I can't remember the name) and I have no memory of gears, different levels of pedal assist or throttle. I do remember how much of a blast it was to ride, and I raved about it when I returned home from my vacation. E-bikes pretty much dropped into my memory hole though until the pandemic began in March of 2020.

My first purchase was the Aventon Pace 500. I liked it, but didn't love it, for much the same reason I didn't love my 1990-something Saab 500 Turbo. I still think it's a very decently made entry level e-bike, (although I'd recommend their similar but much sleeker "Level" bike for a few hundred dollars more) but the bolting rocket blast-off never felt natural. Still, I had mixed feelings about selling it at an annual bike charity swap meet in May of this year, but it met my floor price, so that was that.

I replaced the Aventon with a 4 inch folding fat tire bike (Like a cow, I followed the herd, in a case of "what-the-hell-was-I-thinking"?). It handled and rode more like a tractor than a bicycle in my opinion. I've never come down with a case of buyers remorse faster, but I sold it for close to what I paid. I'm still mystified by the popularity of these things after having owned one for a few weeks.

Although the frame is a little different, the Current reminds me of the Raleigh bike I rode as a teenager, in a good way. That was also a comfortable cruiser as I recall.

Last edited:
Well, I decided today. The Priority Current is on the way. At 5'6" I ordered the small.

I was considering the Gazelle, the Priority, and the Serial 1. Frankly, the Priority won on price.
Gazelle C380+Serial 1 Rush/SpeedPriority Current
Price$4,749$5,599$3,299
TransmissionEnviolo CVTEnviolo CVTEnviolo CVT
AutomaticFALSETRUEFALSE
MotorBoschBrose TF MagTruckrun
Parts AvailableTRUETRUEFALSE
Class 3TRUETRUETRUE
Torque (Nm)8590140
Watt500
Battery (Wh)500706500
Ah13.410.4
Volt3648