Stupid E-bike games?

I have a class 1 bike (BMW Cruise) and I get passed now and then by cyclists in multi-colored jerseys who are riding carbon fiber-framed bikes with drop handlebars. I don't exactly race them, but I wait a few seconds then see if I can re-close the gap. Most of them are going about 22 to 23 mph and my power assist tops out at 20, so I'm basically going on human power on the downhills and flats while getting help on the uphills below 20. For some odd reason, I never pass them, even on those rare occasions when I can. I don't and can't do it for very long, just enough to feel like I'm going all out for a bit. It's sort of like being a dog chasing cars.

I find that it breaks up the ride, makes me feel a bit younger, etc. I don't think I'd ever do it on a Class 3 bike which would have me keeping pace with most anyone I'd see out on the road. For me, it's more about using the foundation of the pedal assist to get to 20 then having to sustain the higher speed for a bit and feeling like I'm riding a regular bike for a bit, even though I never go that fast on my regular bike or haven't for many years.

I've noticed that I have a few of these little e-bike games.
1. hypermiling
2. finding the lowest power assist setting that I can use on a steep hill
3. keeping the battery monitor at two bars or below (sort of a close cousin of the hypermiling)
4. seeing how long I can go without using power assist
5. staying at exactly 15 mph
6. guessing when to go from eco to tour mode on my way home without going below 2 battery bars.

are there other e-bike games out there?
I'll take this opportunity to grouse about a minor issue that sort of annoys me. That is the use of cute names for pedal assist levels, such as eco, sport, tour, snailish. etc. I like a simple system: 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.. There, I've vented. Move on, nothing more to see here.

FWIW ... Are there any ebikers that come to a complete STOP if no oncoming traffic ?
Why storm up to a stop sign and slam on the brakes when I can coast in and barely touch the brakes to stop?
Actually roaring into a stop sign uses far less energy than roaring away from one. It is harder on brake pads however.
Got upset with my son for not instructing his kids (my 3 grandchildren) to come to a complete stop (instead of roll thru) at a residential street red STOP sign ... and look both ways before proceeding when we were all out riding our bikes. I guess he didn't see the need ... so no longer enjoy bike riding with them.

As a School Bus trainer had one 50yr male who couldn't or wouldn't come to a complete STOP during training session. He apparently thought i was being too strict or it wasn't necessary when no oncoming traffic. Needless to say he failed his bus driver test which i told him would happen ... after retaking driver test (the third time) he finally learned to abide by the law (and passed).

Last edited:
If I see no on coming traffic at a 4 way stop, I’ll slowly approach, then proceed if safe to do so. Not a full stop. I’ll stop if my vision is blocked. I do wait my turn at controlled intersections, as should everyone else.

FWIW ... Are there any ebikers that come to a complete STOP if no oncoming traffic ?

I know that some places don't require bicycles to come to a complete stop at a stop sign.
Bicycles are allowed to treat stop signs like yeild signs.

I think that place was a very hilly area where it's difficult to get going after stopping on an uphill and it can even be dangerous.

Despite the law that says you must, how many make a right on red without stopping?
In California, if there is no sign that indicates “no right on red” then you can make a right on red, if there are no pedestrians. Though, common sense tells me to stop and look at every turn. This is hard for some people.

I think that place was a very hilly area where it's difficult to get going after stopping on an uphill and it can even be dangerous.
BIG AMEN to that condition.

The first time i drove in hilly San Fran didn't know if i could get going again without killing the engine when red light turned green, Scary experience taking foot off brake and giving it gas at same time ... for a newbie from Wisconsin.

Got upset with my son for not instructing his kids (my 3 grandchildren) to come to a complete stop (instead of roll thru) at a residential street red STOP sign ... and look both ways before proceeding when we were all out riding our bikes. I guess he didn't see the need ... so no longer enjoy bike riding with them.

As a School Bus trainer had one 50yr male who couldn't or wouldn't come to a complete STOP during training session. He apparently thought i was being too strict or it wasn't necessary when no oncoming traffic. Needless to say he failed his bus driver test which i told him would happen ... after retaking driver test (the third time) he finally learned to abide by the law (and passed).
Washington State has a new (for about a year now) law that allows cyclists to roll through stop signs without stopping. I take advantage of this often, but I do remain alert for other traffic. That law of course does not give us the right of way over other traffic. On another note, Bellingham has the green "bike boxes" at some intersections, which I'm finding somewhat problematic. On the pavement just before the box, it says "stop here," but cagers like to occupy the bike box as they wait for the green light. If they have left room, I'll move in front of them to take up my rightful place, though I am wary of instigating road rage. I'd rather a cop would intervene, but of course there's never one around. This is somewhat like the habit that many cagers have of stopping in the middle of the marked crosswalk. When I'm in ped mode, I've been tempted to open their back door, climb through the back seat, and exit through the opposite back door. I can't believe how entitled some cagers are.

Back