Studded tires for Supercharger

tompat

Any recommendations on studded tires for a Supercharger?

The original Rock Razors (57-584) are now replaced for Super Moto-X 62-584.
But winter is coming and thus icy roads. I'm riding daily 64 km mostly on paved roads. I don't expect a lot of snow, but temperatures can be around freezing so lot of mornings and evenings with freshly frozen damp roads.

Here are some dimensions closely related to the original tire dimensions:

Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro Performance 27.5x2.25 (57-584)
Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 27.5x2.25 (57-584)
Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro Evo Liteskin 27.5x2.60 (65-584) (will this fit??)
Suomi Tyres WXC'R W312 57-584

Any recommendations on these or others?

In this video Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 57-584 (27.5/2.25-650B) tires are tested successfully:
(360° video)

Looks quite good. My use case is paved, plowed roads with patches of black ice. Hence the Nokians. They arrived. Have yet to install. But, will need to soon. Will report. (But, probably no video.)

Nokians installed. (Actually, they are Suomi brand, Same thing). Reassuring clackety-clack on paved roads. But, the real (black ice) test is yet to come. I like the more aggressive look. Not quite like Rockrazors, but nevertheless have some bite.

Early snow and cold here on the Ouisconsin Riviera. Rode gingerly on freshly fallen cold stuff on a somewhat plowed bicycle path. Reassuring clackety clack on the cleared pavement. Silent running on the packed snow. I feel like I'm cross country skiing on a bike. Slowing down over the patches of ice. Freaking over the bumpy patches. Taking my turns as carefully as possible, for I care not to fall. Studs seem to be doing the job. Tires inflated to a cushy 25 psi. This morning on a scouting jog up same path there was plenty of ice to make running in sneakers a wee bit treacherous. Who knows what tomorrow's conditions will bring. On a bike in winter, the conditions change from moment to moment. A bit of sunshine melts the ice, a bit of shade freezes it back up. Autumn leaves that fell just before the first snow make for a washboard bed of frozen compost. Local rodentia (squirrels) have left the bike path, leaving it basically to me.

Here's a pic from one of my detours along the daily winter commute.

Attachments

• IMG_5182.jpg
    IMG_5182.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 468
I gave the bike a good cleanup yesterday, it was practically mud brown from the last two rainy months on partly gravel roads.
At the same time I slapped on the Ice Spiker Pro tires. They fit well and ride quite ok, a bit more tracking than my Super Moto-X but I guess I'll get used to it. And.. noisy.. Inflated to 3 bar (43 psi).

1575286697237.png

After about 900 km (560 miles) they ride more or less the same as the original Rock Razors. Although still very noisy..

I've been running 27.5x2.6 Ice Spiker Pro tires ($65 at CRC) for a couple winters now, mostly on snowmobile and fatbike packed trails but a bit on icy dirt roads.

They're awesome and not so noisy off-road! 😁 Edit: they went up to $68+ (supply & demand?), but there's a $20 off deal for new customers....

1579296366888.png

1579296428404.png

Last edited:
Sad to say we did not have more than 4 days out of the last 60 with freezing temperatures, so most of the days I've ridden on paved roads did not need studded tires.
I wonder how many km the studs will last? If next winter will be as warm as this one, I have no use of the studded tires.

Like most things in life, how long tires or any bike parts might last depends on how they're used and cared for, no? For example, trail miles/KMs are far harder on bikes than road...

In Schwalbe's "manual" for my Spikers, they suggest riding the tires gently on pavement for several miles to help set the studs. If you did that and ride mostly on roads, you might get several seasons from your set.

Weather's getting weirder 🌡

Back