Hardtail tire guidance for alternatives to current setup

RandallS

Region
Canada
City
Calgary
I've got 27.5 x 2.6 Maxxis Forekasters on my Fathom e1 Pro, and I also have some Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro's (same size) in my shopping cart at ChainReaction.
My rims, according to Giant, are 35mm.

Before I finish the purchase of the studded tires and have them shipped, I was considering another set of tires for times I am strictly riding roads and paths (paved or hardpacked surfaces) with friends who don't do off-road stuff.
Would I benefit any appreciable range or comfort with something like a Schwalbe Hurricane, Super Moto or similar and if so, do you think I'd notice much of a difference with 2.4" width?

I'm open to other suggestions but I've grown used to seeing the width of my current tires (2.6"), and don't want to change things too much as I'm reasonably happy with the current "all-round" ride dynamics.
I hate paying shipping, but there's no stock of studded tires left in the size I want anywhere near here that I can find at anything other than outrageous pricing (even with international shipping and duty it's still a LOT cheaper).

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Well, my tires are in. I ordered them from ChainReaction on Saturday at 16:08. They arrived at my from door, today at 19:30.
So, from Birmingham U.K. to Calgary, Alberta in 75 hours and 22 minutes via DHL (all import fees and duties pre-paid).
Pretty impressive... and much, much, cheaper than local, even with shipping and handling.

I also bought some Ergon GP2-L grips - something I wanted to try out as I get sore hands (arthritis isn't going away unfortunately).
I was prepared to buy local, but no one had any stock of the size I wanted. I sure hope that when Spring arrives, there will be local shops with some inventory of stuff I want.

So tomorrow is tire change time, something I haven't done in a long time but looking forward to it - just need to be careful with the tubes.
I'll have to bring the bike back inside again, as I took it back out to the garage this afternoon just before I got the DHL notification that they were in Calgary and "out for delivery".

It will be the Ice Spiker Pro's tomorrow but won't likely get the Johnny Watt's on until spring.
We've had a fair bit of snow lately and it will be a while before it's gone in the areas I like to ride.
There's some good paved and cleared pathways nearby I can use to "set" the studs properly - they recommend 40km, so that's the target for New Year's Eve (day ride).

Nice finds Randall. Let us know how the Spiker Pro's work for you. I purchased a set of Gravdals online through MEC and they the bomb! Grippy yet still quiet on pavement. What's the stud count on those puppies?
Luvin' my GP2s!

Note to self - bring tires in and let them sit a LONG time in the warmth.
Heck of a time getting one of the beads to release when removing the tire but done now.

20201230_101838.jpg 20201230_105812.jpg 20201230_112851.jpg

Finally got the bead released and tire removed.

20201230_114031.jpg

Front wheel completed.
The new studded tires were pretty tight but seem to have seated nicely.

I needed some tools to help get the beads to the middle of the wheel, and still had to lever the tire on.
Perhaps when doing the rear tire I'll take a few more pictures on how I used the woodworking clamps.

20201230_131025.jpg

Pumped it up to 35psi and had a really good look at the bead and it looks uniform all the way around.
I did not use soapy water - and I will next time.

20201230_124541.jpg

My hands need to rest for a bit before I tackle the rear tire.
I wish the tire bead jack I ordered was here - but I really didn't expect such a quick delivery on the tires.

Attachments

• 20201230_112953.jpg
    20201230_112953.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 349
Rear was much easier, as this installer learned a few things while doing the front.
All told - maybe 10 -12 minutes start to finish (once wheel off bike and warmed up inside the house).

Key points:
Use the clamps to center the first bead when installing second bead (with tube in place of course).
I had them at 3 and 9 o'clock when working at 12 o'clock - and next time (spring installation of Johnny Watts), I may use a 3rd and 4th.

Not too much nor too little air pressure in the tube - you may have to play with it until it forces the tube out of the way, yet allows you to install the tire..

Use soap and if unsure, use more soap (but no need to drench anything).
You will really notice the difference when you pump the tube back up.

Test ride tomorrow - I'm starting with 30 Psi.

Nice finds Randall. Let us know how the Spiker Pro's work for you. I purchased a set of Gravdals online through MEC and they the bomb! Grippy yet still quiet on pavement. What's the stud count on those puppies?
Luvin' my GP2s!
According to Schwalbe, 344 studs on these.

Incredible! You’ll be able to shave ice with those beauties! 👍

I started out at 40 PSI and after a few rides found the sweet spot on my rides to be around 47 on hard pack or ice.

Last edited:
Back