Stromer still viable in the USA?

Wow, it sounds like Lenny's is still the best bet for price + service then!
I have had them follow-up and offer help, beyond what Stromer has offered, so Lenny's is coming through - happy to report.

I bought my ST2 from Lenny's in June. I've been in contact with them a few times since- first to get a new motor control cable when mine failed the first week I had the bike. I've requested from them (and received promptly) a new set of rack stay screws when I messed mine up by not having the allen wrench seated properly before torquing them, and again when I bought a used 814WH gold battery off ebay with a broken handle/ door lock. Both times they sent me the parts right away. They have always been very communicative and responsive. I'll be buying bikes from them from now on.

33963257jw.jpg

At Eurobike, we had a chat with Stefan Schwab, chairman of the board. He emphasized, Stromer is a bike manufacturing company. This means, Stromer will not participate in these popular "free-floating-rental"-projects. Furthermore, Stromer has already closed it's own stores (except the store at the HQ). This way, the single point of contact is not the myStromer AG, but the local bike store from were the Stromer was purchased.

OK, the Stromer Forum is also a valuable source of help.

Since nine years, myStromer AG is a startup with cash drain. The company survived, because some personalities of the swiss economy has supported the company. In a recent interview, Stefan Schwab mentioned, the turnaround is now happened.

The key pillars of the success might be: Focusing of the core competencies, streamline the model palette and strict cost control on all processes. Sounds simple and logic, but hart to implement. You see the outcome in the 2019 model range.

No response from Stromer USA since September 18th regarding both of my ST2s exhibiting power assist failures as reported by numerous others. Anybody know what Stromer's financial status is? Are they preparing to file for Bankruptcy? Has anyone had contact with Mike Lohmann, Service Manager, USA and Canada? I have (we have, all of us have) a substantial amount of money paid to Stromer and not getting the service promised or expected to keep the bikes running. 67 lbs of metal, no assisted pedaling, isn't going to cut it.

No response from Stromer USA since September 18th regarding both of my ST2s exhibiting power assist failures as reported by numerous others. Anybody know what Stromer's financial status is? Are they preparing to file for Bankruptcy? Has anyone had contact with Mike Lohmann, Service Manager, USA and Canada? I have (we have, all of us have) a substantial amount of money paid to Stromer and not getting the service promised or expected to keep the bikes running. 67 lbs of metal, no assisted pedaling, isn't going to cut it.

As stated above, your bike shop or the dealer closest to you would be the preferred point of contact. Most companies have dealers to help the end user. Stromer is one of them. They are not there to provide customer service at the end user Level. If they did, they would consumer direct company.

As stated above, your bike shop or the dealer closest to you would be the preferred point of contact. Most companies have dealers to help the end user. Stromer is one of them. They are not there to provide customer service at the end user Level. If they did, they would consumer direct company.
Thank you for your opinion and help.

It’s not an opinion. It’s a fact.

They do not have a support center to assist end users with their bikes. That’s what dealers are for. Call a dealer.

Well Mr. Ashander, to the contrary, I received all my trouble shooting advice, parts and recommendations from Stromer USA support in California, since a dealer was not an option. Mike Lohmann, Service manager Stromer USA. However, you seem to know a better way to handle my problems with your opinion. I thank for your opinion and advice. I'll see a dealer when they become available in my area. You can check your facts.

After full review of the thread and what was reported, I stand corrected in my view and the misunderstanding. All in all it looks as though a venture lost and truly no recourse but to attempt repairs under less than promised warranties. Trek has some nice bikes.

I believe it is the same for other bikes, get warranty parts ats authorized shops but pay for labor if you did not purchase at their shop. I purchased a couple bikes at Lenny's got great deals. local shops were list price. My Stromer's have not been great for reliability , spent way too much time in the shop and too much on warranty work BUT still saved a boat load compered to buying here and getting serviced here with all the problems.

I knew what i was in for when not buying at the local dealer, Lenny's is much better than most on support , dont know what else you would expect from them as far as repairs go. I love my ebikes just not quite enough to pay to move so a great dealer is next door.

I hear you on the price, I but like to at least try and support my local dealer. Last time I was shopping for a bike, I looked online and found something at a considerably lower price. I asked the LBS if they would price match and they did. So before buying online, at least ask your local dealer if they will lower the price. I good local shop can be a godsend when there's trouble.

After full review of the thread and what was reported, I stand corrected in my view and the misunderstanding. All in all it looks as though a venture lost and truly no recourse but to attempt repairs under less than promised warranties. Trek has some nice bikes.

If the point is to vent your pent up frustration and opinion, then this thread has served its job. If you detail what bike you have, where you are, people on this forum could help you.
There are expert users, dealers and others on this forum.

I hear you on the price, I but like to at least try and support my local dealer. Last time I was shopping for a bike, I looked online and found something at a considerably lower price. I asked the LBS if they would price match and they did. So before buying online, at least ask your local dealer if they will lower the price. I good local shop can be a godsend when there's trouble.

I just got off the phone with PEDELEC located on the west coast in South Florida. Phil the owner helped get me up to speed on the current status with a better insight into Stromer USA. Phil is Swiss and of course German is his first language. He not only has company contacts in the US, but Switzerland and can get around the language barrier much better than most dealers in the US. Unfortunately for me he is 526 miles or 7 hours and 58 minutes. Shipping one bike is $260 both ways, I have two. I digress.
Phil has been with Stromer many years and maintains the faith in the company. He has sold many Stromers and is dismayed at the amount of trouble I have had and stated he has truly seen only a few others that have exhibited the same problems with drive malfunctions. He assures me he can find and correct the issues and have me back on the bikes within 5- 10 days. He explained the ST5 launch and the reason for delays, the recent move of facilities of Stromer USA from one city to the next and the employees that decided not to transfer. With only a few employees, those who remained have taken on the duties of assembly, shipping, accounting, customer relations and all it takes to keep the company viable. I can empathize now, and hope for success, for my investment was substantial as with all of us who ride Stromers. Though with two unserviceable bikes, I still plan to commend Mike Lohmann for the effort and help he has provided in the past 6 months and hope he finds employees that exhibit the spirit for Stromer to succeed. I would hope that all of us will support, and communicate to Stromer corporate on Mike's behalf.

I just got off the phone with PEDELEC located on the west coast in South Florida. Phil the owner helped get me up to speed on the current status with a better insight into Stromer USA. Phil is Swiss and of course German is his first language. He not only has company contacts in the US, but Switzerland and can get around the language barrier much better than most dealers in the US. Unfortunately for me he is 526 miles or 7 hours and 58 minutes. Shipping one bike is $260 both ways, I have two. I digress.
Phil has been with Stromer many years and maintains the faith in the company. He has sold many Stromers and is dismayed at the amount of trouble I have had and stated he has truly seen only a few others that have exhibited the same problems with drive malfunctions. He assures me he can find and correct the issues and have me back on the bikes within 5- 10 days. He explained the ST5 launch and the reason for delays, the recent move of facilities of Stromer USA from one city to the next and the employees that decided not to transfer. With only a few employees, those who remained have taken on the duties of assembly, shipping, accounting, customer relations and all it takes to keep the company viable. I can empathize now, and hope for success, for my investment was substantial as with all of us who ride Stromers. Though with two unserviceable bikes, I still plan to commend Mike Lohmann for the effort and help he has provided in the past 6 months and hope he finds employees that exhibit the spirit for Stromer to succeed. I would hope that all of us will support, and communicate to Stromer corporate on Mike's behalf.

Wow. It's like what Ravi was saying the entire thread. Except regurgitated.

Good for you.

33963257jw.jpg

At Eurobike, we had a chat with Stefan Schwab, chairman of the board. He emphasized, Stromer is a bike manufacturing company. This means, Stromer will not participate in these popular "free-floating-rental"-projects. Furthermore, Stromer has already closed it's own stores (except the store at the HQ). This way, the single point of contact is not the myStromer AG, but the local bike store from were the Stromer was purchased.

OK, the Stromer Forum is also a valuable source of help.
My experience after 4 years of enjoying my st1, then st2, now st2s..... Stromer forum has been best source of troubleshooting and repairs(forum combined with dealers I have learned of from advertising,etc. on EBR) than local dealer or Stromer USA. This chat with new chairman of board really is about Stromer Europe or Stromer mfg not Stromer USA and all the gossip
And/or legitimate complaints of not getting bike repaired or being able to contact their USA operations.
Seems there are quite a few on this forum like me-that have bought several Stromers and I would think that someone in Switzerland could understand enough English to act upon these unsatisfied customers with broken bikes and nobody fixing them.
I have always cheerleaded the brand, but considering your 1% of bikes sold in Europe ar 45kph models and that’s what Stromer is making(I guess) and most of 300,000 Americans don’t even know what a ebike is. Unless Europe has 50 billion people, it’s clear to me USA is what will make or break their Company.
I’m sure Mr. Schwab would like to just chill, have his guys building and boxing and shipping bikes, having his dealers just send purchase orders for bikes and parts. But, unless you teach,back up, and put your dealers in that position........which is not my experience.......mostly......
Then I hope those nice Swiss people will continue to help Stromer stay afloat......
I guess what I mean to say are the people with late model broken bikes that started these couple of threads...... have they got their bikes up and running?
If not, why not?
As one member said’ with 3 employees in USA, are their dealers really getting much support from Stromer’. And I think he was like me, multi Stromer owner and booster.
If every American bought Stromer like me and several other members...... well, 300,000 x $5000.00 annually, my calculator adds up to numbers I don’t even recognize.

I guess what I mean to say are the people with late model broken bikes that started these couple of threads...... have they got their bikes up and running?
If not, why not?
I've noticed a lot of these people in these threads complaining are one hit wonders. They complain and never come back. The interwebz is full of those types, negative nannies who just complain and don't contribute to this group by reporting back. One guy said his ST2s fork was broken, never came back. This OP guy never came back. My dealer has provided me with very good service in my multiple stromers. Not saying I'm a die hard fan boy and the dealer and Stromer can do no wrong, but I do like the bikes.

Follow up to my Sept 6 post: I have been working with the LBS where I bought the bike - they are no longer a Stromer dealer, but they and Stromer agreed to work on my bike. Both are going out of their way to help and have been great. Mike l has sent parts and they have replaced the torque sensor and a board, but unfortunately I still have a "moped" - the assist keeps up after I stop pedaling, and is also still not consistent. Mike is sending a new motor, so hopefully that will be what is needed. It's been a bit frustrating, but I think they are doing the best they can given the staffing situation, and I really appreciate their help.

That sounds like good news all the way around. Those one hit wonder guys are real, for sure. I’m kinda gullible that way.
Bottom line is I think my Stromers have been virtually bullet proof thru years at this point, and I really want them to succeed.
This is only forum I ever post on- and read every post, so I’m into it for sure.
I still thing Ebikes and Stromer are the coolest invention for/ to me in my lifetime!

My Haibike dealer in MI just took on Stromer and he has a new one on the floor. I thought it was an ST5 but I think the price was 5k and I'm pretty sure the ST5 is much more expensive. He's very excited about the brand and the bike.. I looked at it and started drooling immediately. I have to admit , even though there are some "one hit wonders" posting here, I would be nervous to spend that kind of money and have problems that could take a lot of time/money to resolve.. I guess I could be in the same boat with my Haibike though. I've read some stories of people waiting ridiculous periods of time for warranty parts. It seems to me after spending quite a bit of time on this forum and others that the dealer/warranty infrastructure for ALL e-bikes is spotty at best. I wish crazy Lenny's was closer,that's one mega dealer that has great prices on ebikes and by all accounts they have a great service dept. as well. I hope stromer can work through their problems as they are gorgeous bikes that just look "right" and owners love them when they are working

I understand the role of "one hit wonders" and the catastrophe oriented reviews that populate the Internet
And where they fit in with the statistical basis of chagrin.
I have been looking to advance from my self built basic bikes to a more sophisticated factory model.
It looks however like support and the service rapidly turn into a D I Y a affair and reliable support is an extremely local phenomena.
I do not live in a place where there is predictable support so it looks like we stay D I Y.
It sounds like I am not looking to buy a bike but rather shopping for a technical support system for a complex device and they are hard to find and often harder to sustain.
Looks like the internet is my warantee, and it is worth the paper its printed on.

Last edited:
Back