Stromer ST1: confused in paradise!

SeaGlassPearl

Just picked up a very low miles used 2014 ST1 today from first owner. It rides fine, and looks clean. Yet upon later inspection saw a wire (maybe a sensor unit) is just hanging near the rear hub motor (see picture). Appreciate if anyone knows the purpose of this wire, and whether it's normal to just be hanging.

BTW, happy to be in Stromer family finally. ST1 is nice and fast.

Attachments

• stromer_wire.JPG
    stromer_wire.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 767
Keep the sealed plug well sealed!

This is the so called Kurzschluss Stecker, used by the Stromer experts for rebooting the motor. If salty water reaches the plug, you will end up without motor power.

Thanks bluecat! Already feel better knowing it's not a misplaced sensor or something.
I'l add a second zip-tie and also try to cover as much of it under the existing velcro cover to protect it against the elements.
BTW, if you or anyone knows of ST1 wiring diagram or other ST1 technical information websites, appreciate the links.

I also received a response from Stromer rep saying basically the same as what bluecat noted:
"That item is used for firmware updates and is in great shape. It does need to be tucked up into the Velcro Stromer sleeve that came with the bike to avoid exposure and potential damage."
Just adding this to the thread for others benefit.

Keep the sealed plug well sealed!

This is the so called Kurzschluss Stecker, used by the Stromer experts for rebooting the motor. If salty water reaches the plug, you will end up without motor power.

Your salty water scenario may be what is causing power loss on my 8 week old ST1. I haven't yet been able to identify the problem. If salty water is the culprit, is there any remedy?

The ST1's come with that wire zip-tyed to the lower chainstay along with the other wires, it must of fallen out of that group somehow. I've ridden my 2013 ST1 through rain, mud, and in the 1,800 miles I've put on it - that wire has never been a problem. Just put it with the other wires and you're good to go.

Back