Stromer rear rack: adding a firm platform?

MinnBobber

Hi, the stock rear rack can be too small to securely mount some items like a small back pack or misc .

Is there a strong "bare platform/base" that can be mounted? Something with multiple holes for securing bunjee cords etc.
A flat plastic surface.

Also, for a rear rack bag, what brand mounts quick and secure?
Thanks

Get a backpack pannier. For use on my cyclocross bike that I use for local commuting, I purchased the Bug Pannier Backpack (UNIT) from Arkel. USD$189.99 after a pricematch to universal cycles. https://www.arkel-od.com/en/bug-commuting-bag.html

For the rear rack bag, you mean a trunk or a panier? I have both, I like my trunk, a KLICKfix Farradtasche Rackpack 1 Plus für Rackt Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. $79.99 USD shipped. The racktime adapter was a throw away, didn't need it. https://www.amazon.de/dp/B004URMYKI/ref=pe_3044161_189395811_TE_dp_1

For panniers, I'm using (Based on recomendation from someone on this forum) this brand, and I hate them. The lower restraint comes loose on every ride to work where I have more than 5~10 lbs in a side, which is nearly every ride as I deliver packages to the USPS in the morning. Further, the top restraint has rubbed the coating on the racktime rack off, and has even started to cut into the aluminum due to the rear restraint coming off mid ride allowing the pannier to rotate around the top restraint. https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=79049

Attachments

• IMG_20180727_090747366.jpg
    IMG_20180727_090747366.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 610
Hi, my panniers hung over the back on my Racktime 2015 St2 a few inches. My solution was get a flat piece of aluminum. a little less than 1/8 inch thick to fabricate. I got mine at at a metal yard. They had an area where they have pieces left over from their cuttings they sell for a dollar or two. My 1st try was with a thin piece of plywood,but didn't have the structural support I needed. I have alot of junk in the trunk. Ha

Thanks.
I'm looking for a rear trunk platform. It would mount like a rear trunk (not pannier) on top of the narrow ST2 framework. A bigger flat platform with multiple slots/holes to bunji a backpack or a small bag of groceries etc.

Thanks.
I'm looking for a rear trunk platform. It would mount like a rear trunk (not pannier) on top of the narrow ST2 framework. A bigger flat platform with multiple slots/holes to bunji a backpack or a small bag of groceries etc.
I bought the Ractime quick release adapter from a British ebay vendor (I live in the U.S.). It was around $30- I can't remember exactly, and the shipping was just as much. It is a frame that slides in to the existing Stromer rack. It comes with 4 mounting screws to attach it to whatever you'd like. I screwed it though a cheap trunk bag and it works beautifully. You could similarly screw it to a piece of plywood if you just wanted a level platform. I'm going to buy another just for that reason. I have second 814Wh battery but there is no way to secure it easily to the bike. I can put it in a pannier, but the battery case dimensions make it difficult to keep it from bouncing and moving around inside the pannier. It would not be too difficult to figure out a way to secure it to a platform that is attached to the quick release rack adapter.

Last edited:
I bought the Ractime quick release adapter from a British ebay vendor (I live in the U.S.). It was around $30- I can't remember exactly, and the shipping was just as much. It is a frame that slides in to the existing Stromer rack. It comes with 4 mounting screws to attach it to whatever you'd like. I screwed it though a cheap trunk bag and it works beautifully. You could similarly screw it to a piece of plywood if you just wanted a level platform. I'm going to buy another just for that reason. I have second 814Wh battery but there is no way to secure it easily to the bike. I can put it in a pannier, but the battery case dimensions make it difficult to keep it from bouncing and moving around inside the pannier. It would not be too difficult to figure out a way to secure it to a platform that is attached to the quick release rack adapter.

I have been having the same issues with my ST2 - I have also been looking for a more robust option for the stock rear rack. Would you be able to show a picture of your new setup by chance. I would be very interested to see this. I have been tying my spare battery to the top portion of the rack inside a waterproof bag with bungie cords. A more elegant solution would be more ideal for sure.

Google Racktime and you will see the stock rack is one of the best things about a Stromer. I’ll never understand how a new Stromer leaves the dealer with the customer unaware of how great the rack can be!

I used our old cutting board (plastic?)...cut to the size that you want, make or drill holes the size and where you want them, attach it with 4 tie wraps on the bike rack and spay paint it black....the cost.....a new cutting board for the lady so we're both happy!!!

I used our old cutting board (plastic?)...cut to the size that you want, make or drill holes the size and where you want them, attach it with 4 tie wraps on the bike rack and spay paint it black....the cost.....a new cutting board for the lady so we're both happy!!!

You would have been far more clever to read and accept the advice from the last post!!!!
Isn’t that the idea of the forum?

You would have been far more clever to read and accept the advice from the last post!!!!
Isn’t that the idea of the forum?

same thing. Chuck E. Cheese knows how to do it. Again, the rack is one of the best features of a Stromer!!!!!!!!!

Back