Strava - RideGPS - other apps?

Summer haven

I have used RideGPS and now I am also using Specialized Rides feature.

I would like to find an app that tracks my ride but allows me to put a "mark" while riding to indicate features, potholes, bad bridges, etc. I'm trying to prepare a map of the trails in my area on an old golf course, but by the time I get home, I can't remember all the exact locations of the bridges and hazards. Does anyone know of an app that can "mark" a location while riding?

Don’t know of one, but it’s a pretty good idea!

In Google Maps you could drop a pin and name it whatever you are marking. Doesn’t get it into your ride info though. I have found the Ride With GPS people to be responsive to queries in the past, might be worth making the suggestion to them for future releases.

I have used RideGPS and now I am also using Specialized Rides feature.

I would like to find an app that tracks my ride but allows me to put a "mark" while riding to indicate features, potholes, bad bridges, etc. I'm trying to prepare a map of the trails in my area on an old golf course, but by the time I get home, I can't remember all the exact locations of the bridges and hazards. Does anyone know of an app that can "mark" a location while riding?
OSMAnd (my go to cycling mapping app) will allow you to do that while riding (use Cycle mode) and following a route and/or recording a track. Simply touch and hold the location you want to record and choose "Add" Favourite. Enter label and description as required.

Other OSMAnd options that may suit your needs are to use Markers or, with plugin activated, tag audio, video or photos to location.

You can check out the app at:

Good luck

Last edited:
OSMAnd (my go to cycling mapping app) will allow you to do that while riding (use Cycle mode) and following a route and/or recording a track. Simply touch and hold the location you want to record and choose "Add" Favourite. Enter label and description as required.

Good luck
Thank you. I'm excited to go find out more. I see that there are a lot of options out there that I know nothing about.

Don’t know of one, but it’s a pretty good idea!

In Google Maps you could drop a pin and name it whatever you are marking. Doesn’t get it into your ride info though. I have found the Ride With GPS people to be responsive to queries in the past, might be worth making the suggestion to them for future releases.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have emailed them and will let you know what I hear back.

personally, I really like the “cadence” cycling app. incredibly feature rich, far more customizable than anything else I’ve seen including screens with maps, dashboards of any shape and size and statistic, etc. it has notes, but unfortunately they’re not tagged to the map, so you’d have to pause the ride, type the note with the current distance “12.19mi giant pothole” and then resume.

I needed a feature changed slightly, and the developers emailed me back and forth and included it on the next release. you might ask them about a “tag” button.

personally, I really like the “cadence” cycling app. incredibly feature rich, far more customizable than anything else I’ve seen including screens with maps, dashboards of any shape and size and statistic, etc. it has notes, but unfortunately they’re not tagged to the map, so you’d have to pause the ride, type the note with the current distance “12.19mi giant pothole” and then resume.
I added more options to my post above

Other OSMAnd options that may suit your needs are to use Markers or, with plugin activated, tag audio, video or photos to location.

Good luck
I took it out for a spin. It will take more study, or perhaps a membership in Mensa :-!

I needed a feature changed slightly, and the developers emailed me back and forth and included it on the next release. you might ask them about a “tag” button.

I'll take a look - thanks.

Well I honestly pull off to the side before I started playing with it but this is on the Android version I'm not sure about the Apple version

This has turned out to be a super useful thread! I never noticed this ability in six years of almost daily RWGPS use, and I even have the POI layer turned on. You never know.

Now I can go back to that mud pit from yesterday and note “ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE”. Good stuff.

I had been adding the POIs on the computer. I had kept the app on full screen so didn't notice the tools thing either.

Good luck
Peter, since your post I have been studying OSMAnd. It is incredible. I was close to getting my head wrapped around it when Ride with GPS answered my "feature request" email - stating that the app already has that option. After all these years of using the free version of R-GPS I think it's time to look at an upgrade... a debt I'm glad to pay. Thanks for pointing me to OSMAnd.

Back