Step through?

dodgeman

Region
USA
City
Macomb, Illinois
So me and the wife will probably look at buying e bikes this Saturday, Treks. She wants a step through. I’m debating on a step through or more convential. We have picked out the Verve +3 as the bikes we will most likely buy. Sounds like a silly reason but I don’t like the step through looks as well. I’m 59 years old so as I get older I’m thinking a step through might be a smarter buy. On my conventional Trek bike it’s not as easy for me to get on it but I do O.K.

Any downsides to a step through?

Frame flex can affect some step through models, for example see this segment of Court's review of the Pedego City Commuter Mid-Drive model. But this problem rarely presents itself, most step-through ebikes are fine.

Downside-
There is no way on God's earth I would trust one, no matter it's listed capacity, under my 300lb butt...

You and the bike will be fine.
I bought the Stagger frame for a bit more room and have been happy with it.
At the time I weighted much more.

I understand that some people have disabilities that make it difficult to step over a diamond frame, but tilting the bike towards you as you step over it doesn't require you to lift your leg very high.

I use the tilting method to mount my Trek conventional bikes. When testing e-bikes however I noticed how much heavier they are. Tilting too far can result in it getting away from you, especially on uneven ground. As a result, both my wife and I chose step thru models.

With the e-bikes, we ride further and stay out longer than we did on our old Treks. As a result, we tend to carry more gear which compounds the weight issue when tipping the bike.

I no longer do any serious single track or downhill and the decision has worked out well. I ride mostly gravel trails, some of which are pretty rough, and I haven't had any issues with the step thru frame.

It's really a personal choice however. Try riding a few and judge for yourself. Keep in mind, just because you can throw a leg over a diamond frame now (tilted or not), think about the future.

The step thru topic has been discussed at great length here in the past. Try doing a search on both "step through" and "step thru". There is a lot of useful information in these posts.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!

Hi Dodgeman,

I'm 173 cm (5'8") tall, and my "standover height" is 79 cm (around 31"). Due to my mobility issues and pretty short legs, all my e-bikes have been step-through until recently. Quality step-through e-bikes are properly stiff laterally and safe. (A special case was an e-MTB; the middle part of the top tube is located low in many e-MTBs).

The exception to my rule was the recent purchase of a Specialized Vado SL in diamond frame. The reason is the new Vado SL ST has been unavailable (and its look is not good for my taste). As I discovered during Vado SL test ride, the e-bike has turned out to be surprisingly small, with the top tube nicely sloping down the seat-tube (I'm on the verge of the standover height with this e-bike). Still, I experience issues with that e-bike, specifically when getting off it, and with panniers attached to the rear rack.

There is nothing wrong to ride a step-though by a male. My "big" Vado ST is the e-bike I have travelled for very long distances with.

Attachments

• 1631253314830.png
    1631253314830.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 241
I always buy a step-through or so-called "womans bike" these days, the big surprise came when I tried an "EcotricPeacedove' it was a steel frame step through and it was roomy and comfortable, on the "womans bikes' you can get some nice colors as well.Currently, I am building an awd "Womans cruiser' with plenty of power and range.
My tilting ended when I tried to make a cargo bike out of a fattire cruiser, couldnt get on or off it when I had a milk crate on the back.

If you can, try both and buy what feels best. I am the same age and have reached a point where I buy what I like and fits my needs best as opposed to what anyone else might think. Trek or Specialized or many other quality brands are fine in step through and built plenty strong.

Retrospec Beaumont Rev

Attachments

• 1633982621342.jpeg
    1633982621342.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 186
In the Netherlands they ride bikes for transportation. It is not a toy or a sporting good. The omafiets bike is ridden in all weather and by men. This guy is probably 6' 4". The 28" wheel comes to his knee. I have an electric one of these that I am selling to a large masculine guy today. He does not want ride around to the various beer gardens in town in a car. Or to do a quick errand like to the hardware store or post office. The bike will be much better than a car. For people who carry a kid or grandchild on the back, you do not need to kick the kid swinging your leg over. You just step through.

1633986915047.jpeg

The Gazelle is Dutch and comes in a Mid-Step version, up to 56cm. It does not look feminine. Just practical.

Attachments

• Gazelle Mid-Step.jpg
    Gazelle Mid-Step.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 206
So me and the wife will probably look at buying e bikes this Saturday, Treks. She wants a step through. I’m debating on a step through or more convential. We have picked out the Verve +3 as the bikes we will most likely buy. Sounds like a silly reason but I don’t like the step through looks as well. I’m 59 years old so as I get older I’m thinking a step through might be a smarter buy. On my conventional Trek bike it’s not as easy for me to get on it but I do O.K.

I would have loved to have a step thru this morning when I stopped at a stop light and got a little off balance and ended up straddling the cross bar. I'm gettin too old for that feeling...

Hey, @dodgeman. Don't leave us all hanging. Please post some photos of your new bikes.
Here is that Dutch bike I mentioned. You can see the motor between the pedals. It is a three-speed with internal brakes and an integrated lock. If a woman were to ride it she would need to have a 34" inseam or more, showing that this was built to be a men's city transportation bike. The internal brakes can't get oily water splashed from a puddle on them, unlike disc rotors. The riding position is with a straight back. The Dutch position is super comfortable and good for visibility in traffic.

Attachments

• Dutch01.JPG
    Dutch01.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 196
  • Dutch02.JPG
    Dutch02.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 197
My hip arthritis gets a bit worse every year. The leaning the bike method has worked well for years, but I'm not sure how much longer it will help. Pretty sure my n+1 ebike will be a step through...😎

My hip arthritis gets a bit worse every year. The leaning the bike method has worked well for years, but I'm not sure how much longer it will help. Pretty sure my n+1 ebike will be a step through...😎
Them ST Vados are nice :) And, bear in mind, the latest & greatest!
And fasterestest!!! :D

Honestly, Tim, I have never regretted buying an ST Vado. (I discover it when dismounting my Vado SL).

Back