Step through?

The
Them ST Vados are nice :) And, bear in mind, the latest & greatest!
And fasterestest!!! :D

Honestly, Tim, I have never regretted buying an ST Vado. (I discover it when dismounting my Vado SL).
I do love (OK, more like really, really like) my Vado 5. The Vado 5 Step-Through is on my list though my wife rides this model. It does help with hip pain, but maybe not enough. I'm planning the usual test rides, as soon as anything is in stock...😂 Maybe next spring.

BTW - I do like the new Vado rear rack. It resolves one of my 'pet peeves' with the Vado; a light load capable rack on a powerful ebike that won't accept clip on panniers while using a clip-in Racktime top bag. All fixed!

Last edited:
For others looking for quality stepthrough see cube range at this web page

There is also Kathmandu with more powerful motor and better components, better option for touring and venturing offroad.

Not sure of aftermarket support but any Bosch dealer should handle motor issues under Bosch's 2yr factory warranty.

Hi Dodgeman,

I'm 173 cm (5'8") tall, and my "standover height" is 79 cm (around 31"). Due to my mobility issues and pretty short legs, all my e-bikes have been step-through until recently. Quality step-through e-bikes are properly stiff laterally and safe. (A special case was an e-MTB; the middle part of the top tube is located low in many e-MTBs).

The exception to my rule was the recent purchase of a Specialized Vado SL in diamond frame. The reason is the new Vado SL ST has been unavailable (and its look is not good for my taste). As I discovered during Vado SL test ride, the e-bike has turned out to be surprisingly small, with the top tube nicely sloping down the seat-tube (I'm on the verge of the standover height with this e-bike). Still, I experience issues with that e-bike, specifically when getting off it, and with panniers attached to the rear rack.

There is nothing wrong to ride a step-though by a male. My "big" Vado ST is the e-bike I have travelled for very long distances with.
When a sassy kid says, "Hey boomer, how come ya riding a girl's bike," you can answer, "This ain't no girl's bike kid, this here's a STEP THRU."

I understand that some people have disabilities that make it difficult to step over a diamond frame, but tilting the bike towards you as you step over it doesn't require you to lift your leg very high.
Hard to throw your foot over a rack thats got something strapped to it.

My problem is flexibility. I just can’t swing my leg over the rear tire. I can swing my foot more forward towards the handlebar to clear the frame but it’s awkward.

That being said you can go"entry level" comparatively cheap you can get a steel framed "Peacedove" from "Ecotric" for under$700 and I was surprised at how comfortable the thing was,I had converted it to an "AWD" and sold it to a Friend, He really liked it as well he finally took the front motor off to make it easier to load on His bike rack.I think you will really like the step thru style of Bike I will never go back.

So me and the wife will probably look at buying e bikes this Saturday, Treks. She wants a step through. I’m debating on a step through or more convential. We have picked out the Verve +3 as the bikes we will most likely buy. Sounds like a silly reason but I don’t like the step through looks as well. I’m 59 years old so as I get older I’m thinking a step through might be a smarter buy. On my conventional Trek bike it’s not as easy for me to get on it but I do O.K.

Any downsides to a step through?
As long as your weight is within the listed capacity of the bike then it's fine. I wouldn't ride anything else.

I’m on my second step through ebike and wouldn’t go back to a diamond frame. So much easier to get on and off with.

I ended up with step through as diamond frames were out of stock thanks to COVID. No regrets with my decision, only plus to diamond frame is it had more attachment points for waterbottles etc.

No noticeable frame flex which is not surprising given amout metal in downtube which houses battery.

I will have put 10,000 km on my Verve +3 step-through by the end of this year. I can’t think of any downsides to it unless hill climbing is a major factor. It is less powerful than the Allants For example. My riding takes me on about equal parts pavement and grassy/wooded trails, averaging 30-35 km per day, so it gets a good varied workout. I have never noticed any frame flex.
ADFF67D6-9623-4DDC-81D0-CE177EC282EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Latitude, I’ve got a nearly identical Trek if not exactly the same. Mines the same color and everything. Mines about 2 months old and I’ve got about 625 miles (1000 km) on mine.

Latitude, I’ve got a nearly identical Trek if not exactly the same. Mines the same color and everything. Mines about 2 months old and I’ve got about 625 miles (1000 km) on mine.
You’re on a roll! Yes, looks just like mine.

I'm currently riding large beach style bike and with two newer knees it is a little bit of a hassle to swing the leg over the bike (legs don't have the same 'maneuverabilty' as before the replacements. I went ahead and bought a step-through for when it gets to be too much to swing the legs over. Just looking ahead for the inevitable. Plus...mid- drive, Gates carbon belt drive and automatic shifting. Lazy person's bike.
6CC1D62A-233C-4773-BA05-F67E0A3E88AD.jpeg

I'm currently riding large beach style bike and with two newer knees it is a little bit of a hassle to swing the leg over the bike (legs don't have the same 'maneuverabilty' as before the replacements. I went ahead and bought a step-through for when it gets to be too much to swing the legs over. Just looking ahead for the inevitable. Plus...mid- drive, Gates carbon belt drive and automatic shifting. Lazy person's bike.
View attachment 123448
Sorry but I have to ask. How many did you have before hanging the shelf behind that bike?

Back