Step over or step through for men?

If your crotch is being crushed when you are standing flat footed over the bike's top tube, then your bike's frame is too large for you. You should go to a smaller frame. You should have 2 inches of clearance between the top tube and your crotch. This is one of the standard measures for sizing a regular road bike.
But I think the rule holds true for an ebike as well. )

Obviously, with a correctly sized frame, swinging a leg over is not as difficult. However, if, as others have mentioned, you have panniers on the bike, swinging a leg over is more difficult and a step through makes far more sense.

Exercise helps. I had my right knee replaced about 18 months ago. Several of the exercises I had to do during PT worked the leg. Holding on to a bar, I kicked out, kicked back and kicked out to the side - three minutes for each. When I got back on the bike several weeks later, I found I could far more easily swing my leg over, mounting and dismounting the bike. And I am 76, short and stocky with stubby legs. I am currently riding a Specialized Vado, non step through. But I suspect my next email will be a step through.

I have been riding a Biria low step thru with a front geared hub kit installed for 3 years. It's one of the better moves this 70 year old male has made. It's great.
Ken

I always thought that the boys were taught to be tougher and stronger so they would sign up for the draft and defend the women and children.

But not all men were drafted when there was such a thing. We have a prime example in the White House right now. Your reasoning doesn't seem to be very sound in this day and age. Yes, men still must register, but if there was a draft, I think we'd see an uprising.

But not all men were drafted when there was such a thing. We have a prime example in the White House right now. Your reasoning doesn't seem to be very sound in this day and age. Yes, men still must register, but if there was a draft, I think we'd see an uprising.
Men must register, women don't have to though. Sounds unfair to me. Boys were groomed to be ready for the army. We have had more than one comander and cheif that dodged the draft. Now, I spoke about a woman's bike because that is what it was advertised as. You are right, not all men were drafted, we know that no women were.

You'll see in the picture left, I ride a step through. I'm male age 69. The bodaboda frame doesn't flex with 170 lb me & 60 lb of supplies on the back. When the groceries cube out of the pannier & the bread rides on top, throwing the leg over would be impossible with my 28" pants inseam. Besides I started having trouble getting my foot over the high bar in my late fifties. I'm stronger than I was then, due to more miles ridden, but not nearly as flexible. Old muscles are stiff.
A forum (roadbikereview) told me that green frame is a girl color, too. But when I ride this by the elementary school playground, I get told "nice bike" by the boy that ran out the fence. I've been told that by a woman on the Big 4 bridge also. The lycra crowd ignored me as they blew by at twice my speed when I rode a red diamond frame English racer (3 speed AMF Sherwood). Not different now, except up the hills I'm up to their speed with electricity.

Here's a tip for easier mounting a top tube bike, that works well for me:
Assuming you stand on the left side, squeeze the front brake, turn the handlebar 90 degrees to the right so you can keep both hands on it and lean the bike over towards you. Then swing your leg over the seat and top tube. These bikes are heavy, so make sure you hang on to it and don't let go of the brake.

Hanging on to that brake let's you use the bike to help keep your balance, without the fear associated with the bike moving while you're mounting.

That’s exactly right. As you turn the wheel the weight could push the wheel off to the right bringing the bike down on you.

Thanks so much to all that took the time to answer my inquiry. I have come to the conclusion that it makes much more sense for me to buy the low entry Como rather than the step over. If I have trouble with masculine insecurities by riding step through e-bike, I probably have bigger issues going on in my life. I think I will do just fine with my choice of a low entry. Again, thank you!

Good decision, I bought a step through and I'm glad I did. You can always through your leg over the seat if it makes you feel better but when I do, it reminds me why I bought a step through in the first place.

I always thought that the boys were taught to be tougher and stronger so they would sign up for the draft and defend the women and children.
We were taught that to be sure. Things have changed since we were kids being taught that by our elders....Thank goodness. These stereotypes were a burden to men, sell women short. They burden both sexes with living up to preconceptions that may or may not be in their makeup. There are women who are courageous defenders and men who are not.

And what does preferring pink or being brave have to do with bike frames anyway? Best to match bike style with physical capabilities and limitations and leave obsolete gender ideas in the past.

I’d say the bike is not sized correctly for you if you are crushing testicles. I stopped doing that by age 12. Personally, they look like girls bikes to me. At 66 I can’t swing a leg like I used to. So I either push off with a foot on a pedal and swing over, or just tilt the bike way over to get on. Flat footed, I have clearance over the top tube.
first real bike that belonged to me was a blue girls western flyer, served me well never got taunted about it,when you shop in the dollar aisle you cannot be very choosy a bike is a bike to me get a step thru if your feet slip off the pedals you are not risking smashing something

As a 74-year-old male in pretty good shape, I am venturing into e-bikes. I have pretty much made up my mind on a Specialized Como 4.0. But, I am having a hard time deciding if I want a step-through frame or the step over frame. The step-through makes a lot of sense to me, (especially long term) but when I look at one, it reminds me of a girl's bike. Are men riding step-through e-bikes? Am I just being an old fuddy duddy (or worse, showing my insecurities)?
In your avatar you look much younger than 74. How do you do it?

Gender appropriate! A 71 year old male who also does the grocery shopping. It’s a fluid society these days. I don’t care how young, you would need to be amazingly flexible to swing your leg over this basket.
View attachment 34784
I beg to differ. I'm 67, and I still mount a bike as I did as a kid. I put my foot on the pedal...give the bike a push, and swing the leg over....while standing on the pedal. I do the same when I dismount....just in reverse.
That basket will be a hinderence, but I see no problem swinging my leg over it.
I mount my wife's step through the same way.

Back