Steering head movement

bones774

Hi, I have a Yamaha cross core and I was doing some handlebar adjustment, before I knew what happened the whole fork dropped out. I set the fork back in and it moved the upper bearing, also some type of split ring bushing, I pushed the bearing back into place and the ring bushing. Now I have steering head movement. I'm not sure if the bearing and bushing are fully seated. Wondering if that split ring needs to be compressed and set deeper? The bearing sits flush with top of steering.tube, that split ring has my attention now. Thanks
Thanks

Wow, ezpz, great.
Yes it's Threadless and I'm old school that's why I wasn't prepared when it dropped out so fast and easy

That notched ring needs to be in the correct orientation to fit the grove.

Perhaps making sure that the lower bearing is fully seated. Maybe loosen the stem bolts a bit and flip it upside down with the front wheel off to check so it does not fly apart again. I had a boss who couldn't get them seated on new bike builds. He would say, 'I can build a bike faster that you.' But mine never got returned. All returns were his.

Perhaps making sure that the lower bearing is fully seated. Maybe loosen the stem bolts a bit and flip it upside down with the front wheel off to check so it does not fly apart again. I had a boss who couldn't get them seated on new bike builds. He would say, 'I can build a bike faster that you.' But mine never got returned. All returns were his.
The fork didn't fall all the way out, just an inch or two and as I pushed it back that's when it poked the upper bearing out. I'm just concerned about seating the split ring correctly. And when I followed Harry's instructions all seems fine now, I just don't see much holding that split ring in place.
Thanks for your time

Back