Starting to think my ebike is cursed

Credible Hulk

This is a rant, just to vent about all the problems and bad luck I've been experiencing with my new ebike. It's not meant as a criticism of the seller, they've actually been pretty good in helping me with some early issues.

In February I bought a Sparkbikes ebike by mail order. It's lucky I ordered early because they ran out of them a week later. They now have some newer models for sale.

When I got the bike it came in a big box with "this side up" "fragile", "do not lay box on its side", "do not place heavy items on top". The courier did the exact opposite of what the labels said, the box arrived on its side. It had a big hole on one side with the derailleur sticking out of it. The bike came with a derailleur guard which likely prevented the whole assembly from being torn off. Clearly they threw heavy objects on top of the box while it was on its side.

As a result when I assembled the bike I found the rear rack was twisted and bent down with paint flaking off all over the place. The derailleur was bent out of shape and useless. I contacted the vendor and they told me to take it to a bike shop to get the derailleur repaired, and to buy a new rack, they would reimburse me for both. I did so and the vendor was quick to reimburse me the $100 both items cost.

Another issue was that the front fender was too short and so was the front brake cable. The vendor sent me replacements by overnight courier and I had to swap those parts out.

Speaking of cables, the flimsy, thin cable for my front headlight got chopped because it was wrapped around the front post right where there's a crack where the handlebars turn. I had to patch it with electrical tape.

A couple of days later it was sunny and relatively warm (low 40's F) so I took the bike out to a quiet neighbourhood to test it. Suddenly my rear wheel went into a skid, I lost control of the bike and wiped out into a mudhole ditch. When I got up I found that the rear brake cable was so tight that whenever I turned my front wheel to the right past a certain point, the rear brake would suddenly engage. I walked the bike home, and was able to fix it by repositioning the cable along the frame (it had also been wrapped around the front post) and loosening it a bit.

Next it was the weather. We've had a lousy spring so far. Here in Toronto we're still getting intermittent single digit temperatures in late April/May. I didn't expect to ride much in February, but after I fixed the brake cable it was three weeks into March before there was one day that wasn't brutally cold, extremely windy, or snowing and/or raining. Then, more weeks when I couldn't ride. I finally got out at the end of April and had a nice ride on bike paths in a nearby park. I also bought panniers for my new rack and made one trip to run a few errands, which worked out well. I was looking forward to taking it out more often since the weather was finally warming up.

Then three days after my last ride I noticed the rear tire was completely flat. "Why me?" I thought. I put the bike up on my repair rack and reinflated the tire to see if I could find the leak. I also inspected all areas of the tire with a bright light and magnifying glass - no sign of damage, debris or punctures. I cleaned the tread with a stiff brush. The tire deflated again overnight. I didn't want the hassle of removing the rear wheel so I tried using Slime. I reinflated the tire and sure enough the next day it was flat again. No slime leaking anywhere, still no sign of damage. I took the wheel off, removed the tube, inflated it a bit and put it under water. Not a single bubble and no sign of defects or damage. I even inspected the inside of the tire for anything that could cause a leak - nothing, it's a brand new tire. I did notice there was no rim liner, and that one of the holes in the rim had a big, sharp chunk of burr sticking out of it which could cause a leak. I sanded it down. I then installed a rim liner and decided to replace the tube to be on the safe side, I chose a Slime tube. By the way, the old tube is still inflated two days later. :rolleyes: I'll keep it as a spare.

Now the latest hassle is getting the rear wheel axle to sit in the dropouts. I spent the better part of a day yesterday trying to fix it. I've thrown my back out in the process of hauling heavy wheel with hub motor around, along with the bike itself. The bike is still sitting upside down with the wheel resting on the dropouts and refusing to drop into the slots no matter what I do. It's been very hard not to completely lose my temper over this because it makes no sense that this thing won't go back together, even when all of the washers etc. are where they're supposed to go. I must be forgetting something (don't ask me what). Anyway, I created a separate thread in the maintenance section for help with this.

I think if I had a nickel for every time I've asked myself "Is this thing ever going to work???" I'd be a bazillionaire by now.

Ah, @Credible Hulk I'm sorry to hear of the string of problems, hassles and frustrations... Nobody wants that with a new purchase, or preventing access to the joys of riding.
It is reassuring to hear the seller is being responsive, but that only goes so far to smooth the frustrations from the "perfect storm" of all the other nuisances you describe.
I hope the light is growing at the end of the tunnel for you, and you'll have a great summer of problem-free riding to enjoy...!

Probably the FIRST thing you Should have done is TAKE PICTURES of the Condition after Shipping, Send the pictures to the Dealer AND the Courier, Then REFUSE the delivery !

I couldn't refuse the delivery, they literally dumped it outside my apartment door and ran.

Once I got the bike out of the box and packing material I found the paint chips on the rack and checked it with a level to confirm it was twisted (higher on one side than the other when viewed from the rear). I immediately took pictures and sent them to the vendor. They are located on the other side of the country from me, 2000 miles away. I would have had to pay for the shipping upfront (to be reimbursed later) and buy a new box for the ebike as the original box had a dinner plate sized hole in the side. I discussed returning it with the vendor and we agreed it was not feasible. I don't have a car and I have a bad back, so I would have had no way of getting it to a courier.

I couldn't refuse the delivery, they literally dumped it outside my apartment door and ran.

Once I got the bike out of the box and packing material I found the paint chips on the rack and checked it with a level to confirm it was twisted (higher on one side than the other when viewed from the rear). I immediately took pictures and sent them to the vendor. They are located on the other side of the country from me, 2000 miles away. I would have had to pay for the shipping upfront (to be reimbursed later) and buy a new box for the ebike as the original box had a dinner plate sized hole in the side. I discussed returning it with the vendor and we agreed it was not feasible. I don't have a car and I have a bad back, so I would have had no way of getting it to a courier.

Sounds like a real lemon. Did you pay with a credit card? That might be a possible avenue of reimbursement especially since you are documenting all the issues. And maybe some photos too.
Wishing you well in this icky situation.

What a nightmare!

I'm surprised you're not wanting to criticise the seller given how many of those issues sound to be issues with bike assembly - it brings up an interesting point about our psychology / expectations. Do you think that if the purchase was from an lbs that you would accept incorrect cable routing / dangerous brakes / faulty rims ? I suspect an lbs has LESS control over these issues than sparkbikes should have - after all, they are ordering directly from manufacturer / putting their own brand on whatever bikes they specify - so if they are cutting corners and using poor quality products / poor quality control / assembly then surely they carry some responsibility for the consequences? I'm not trying to blame anyone here, just reflecting on how strange it is that we rant about local shops but accept a much lower standard as normal from a different " service" model.

Nb I recognise your previous posts about the local hostility to ebikes so understand buying from an lbs wasn't an option, but thanks for the reminder to go and shake my lbs' hand !

What a nightmare!

I'm surprised you're not wanting to criticise the seller given how many of those issues sound to be issues with bike assembly - it brings up an interesting point about our psychology / expectations. Do you think that if the purchase was from an lbs that you would accept incorrect cable routing / dangerous brakes / faulty rims ? I suspect an lbs has LESS control over these issues than sparkbikes should have - after all, they are ordering directly from manufacturer / putting their own brand on whatever bikes they specify - so if they are cutting corners and using poor quality products / poor quality control / assembly then surely they carry some responsibility for the consequences? I'm not trying to blame anyone here, just reflecting on how strange it is that we rant about local shops but accept a much lower standard as normal from a different " service" model.

Nb I recognise your previous posts about the local hostility to ebikes so understand buying from an lbs wasn't an option, but thanks for the reminder to go and shake my lbs' hand !

We do have LBS that carry ebikes here, more and more open each year, but they charge astronomical prices. An entry level bike like mine would go for $3000 or more, whereas I paid $1800 including shipping for the one I have. Still, I will never order an ebike online again after this experience unless I can pick it up locally at a shop.

The reason I didn't directly blame Sparkbikes is that I believe they order pre-built bikes from China, then they ship them out to customers without opening the box or inspecting what's inside. Also, since they're so far away (in Vancouver, I'm in Toronto) I didn't have the option of returning the bike or going in to their shop (they do have one in Vancouver) to get it fixed. I was willing to take the chance on a mail order bike because I have a fair amount of experience fixing things, from electronics to bicycles. Also, I had a mail order Sondors Storm a few years ago and it was fine when it arrived, with very little work needed.

But you're right about the shoddy manufacturing. The parts are mainly name brand, like Tektro brakes and Kenda tires. The problem is the crappy and poorly thought out assembly. Even my rear light was on a pathetically short cable sticking out of the rear fender. I can't use it on my new rack. It only fit on their tiny token rack. The cable was run under the fender in a cheap plastic conduit, and wrapped around the sharp front edge of the fender with no conduit. It would have snapped pretty soon after a few bumps. I wanted to try rerouting the cable so it would reach the back of my rack. The conduit snapped in my hand as soon as I detached it from under the fender. Luckily there's a big piece left which I plan to run along the frame with zip ties.

It occurs to me that once I get this thing up and running reliably, I'll be very proud of myself for fixing it on my own (for the most part) and not losing my marbles in the process.

Sounds like you got what you paid for. You saved $1,200, but you got shoddy manufacturing, low end components, and maybe even a beta model since they already have newer models. I bought a high end bike and also saved about $1,200 from a distant dealer who mainly sold Vespas. Then I found out none of the fasteners were torqued, front fork needed alignment and adjustment, and now the headlight only works intermittently. With a better local dealer I wouldn't be working out all these problems. I too got what I paid for. I'm starting to get the feeling that only Pedego dealers know what they are doing.

Sounds like you got what you paid for. You saved $1,200, but you got shoddy manufacturing, low end components, and maybe even a beta model since they already have newer models. I bought a high end bike and also saved about $1,200 from a distant dealer who mainly sold Vespas. Then I found out none of the fasteners were torqued, front fork needed alignment and adjustment, and now the headlight only works intermittently. With a better local dealer I wouldn't be working out all these problems. I too got what I paid for. I'm starting to get the feeling that only Pedego dealers know what they are doing.

Yup - you always get what you paid for. Now I'm wondering if any other Sparkbike buyers are on this board. I'd be interested to hear of their experiences, especially if they've had their bikes for a longer period of time. Might be handy to know in advance what's going to break next. :rolleyes:

Nah, I've got 2 " local" bike shops (30-75 km away) and both have been fantastic.

Predelivery and after sales service on my giant was faultless , including swapping out the stem and bars to suit my preference included in the $1500 discounted price, and over an hour spent explaining the bike, discussing set up etc. They were keen to start getting ebikes out on the trail so may have gone above and beyond to keep me happy - but this costs them $ and is an investment in local cycling that I'm trying to repay by giving people test rides on my bike. As an example of their service , there was a manufacturing defect in the front fsa sprocket, an email later and they had not only organised for giant to cover it under warranty, but the shop had covered the cost and labour of upgrading to a raceface single sprocket! Services have been free ( an unexpected bonus) , and every question from me has been treated as a learning / service opportunity. As an example, my daughter is getting faster than me so I wanted to upgrade the forks from the awesome 140 mm fox 34's , they could easilly have sold me $1500 replacement forks, but instead they did the research and have ordered the internals to make my forks into 160 mm travel -$90 !!!!

The closer shop couldn't get a bike when I wanted it, but have also been super helpfull. Another bike had a niggling leak in a tubeless tyre conversion - 2 hours of the mechanic checking / trying different options, including trying 4 different valves and spacer combinations, constant education / entertainment for me throughout the process ....free! ( "part of their after sales service" - and not warranty because that bike wasn't tubeless stock) . This year my daughter needed to borrow an emtb for a weekend ride we were doing - the shop owner lent her his bike, fully aware she would never be buying an ebike ( 14 yo and more a downhill rider than ebiker) - the lbs is just an enthusiastic cyclist who runs a shop and is encouraging local talent.

I didn't directly blame Sparkbikes is that I believe they order pre-built bikes from China, then they ship them out to customers without opening the box or inspecting what's inside

Actually, I think that is a reason to complain. It's their responsibility to do quality control if their name is on the bike.

It is very good of you to share your tale here. It will help other folks to decide whether or not the want to deal with a company who only drop-ships, or whether they want to deal with a fuller-service company.

Back