St2 Big Ben OEM"s

Has anyone tried the Big Apples? They look similar to the Big Bens, but with a street-only tread design.

Is the tread pattern thinner than the Big Bens? I'm curious how this affects puncture resistance.

Both of them have endurance compound and Greenguard protection. Tread wise, Big bens will be little more versatile.

I had looked into the Big Apple Plus. Does it matter that it isn't rated for E-Bike 50 like the Big Ben? The cross section also shows that the Big Ben has another layer going bead to bead (Snakeskin?).

I found this image of the Big Apple Plus compared to the Big Ben (not the plus model obviously). Tread on the Big Ben does look thicker.
BIG_BEN.jpg

I'm actually not in the market yet for new tires...just been researching. Was actually thinking about trying the Maxxis Gypsy that is rated for high speed e-bike.

Then you should go for this
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/big_apple_plus

Big Apple Plus have the same balloon design AND highest weight load limit.

Disclaimer: Schwalbe is one my very recent sponsors.

I had looked into the Big Apple Plus. Does it matter that it isn't rated for E-Bike 50 like the Big Ben? The cross section also shows that the Big Ben has another layer going bead to bead (Snakeskin?).

I found this image of the Big Apple Plus compared to the Big Ben (not the plus model obviously). Tread on the Big Ben does look thicker.
BIG_BEN.jpg

I'm actually not in the market yet for new tires...just been researching. Was actually thinking about trying the Maxxis Gypsy that is rated for high speed e-bike.

Looks like it's the older version of Big Apple in the image you linked. The India rubber used in Greenguard (the PLUS version) layer is green in color.
We bought $2K worth of tires from Schwalbe this summer. So, they sent us cut cross-sectional view of all the tires. Big ben certainly has better tread. The ones on my ST2 has been going strong even after 5500 miles.

Quick question on tire sizing. I know that Stromer uses 26" tires sizes while Specialized uses 700c. The standard Specialized tires is a 700x45c or a 700x47c. I chose a 700x37c Michelin Energy replacement for my Turbo that is similar to the Schwalbe Energy of the same size. I did this to reduce rolling resistance. While I live with the penalty of firmer ride, I wanted the best in range. Is there any experience on the Stromers with very narrow replacements?

Though rated as an e-bike tire, the Michelin Energy is no longer available. It looks VERY much similar to the Schwalbe tire of the same name. I wonder if Schwalbe was the actual manufacturer?

Doug

Quick question on tire sizing. I know that Stromer uses 26" tires sizes while Specialized uses 700c. The standard Specialized tires is a 700x45c or a 700x47c. I chose a 700x37c Michelin Energy replacement for my Turbo that is similar to the Schwalbe Energy of the same size. I did this to reduce rolling resistance. While I live with the penalty of firmer ride, I wanted the best in range. Is there any experience on the Stromers with very narrow replacements?

Though rated as an e-bike tire, the Michelin Energy is no longer available. It looks VERY much similar to the Schwalbe tire of the same name. I wonder if Schwalbe was the actual manufacturer?

Doug

Hi Doug,
The stock tires are 2.15" and I have seen people go down to 1.75" but anything lesser would not be comfortable on such a heavy bike.
The new Marathon GT for 2017 is a kickass tire.

Hi Doug,
The stock tires are 2.15" and I have seen people go down to 1.75" but anything lesser would not be comfortable on such a heavy bike.
The new Marathon GT for 2017 is a kickass tire.

Ravi, where can I get these. Didn't see them in stock in any online retail outlets.

I ride with panniers often with serious weight. I can barely lift the rear over curbs. Im not tech. enough to post pics., but the center tread is almost gone on rear . Front is fine, I think I might have them rotated. Also summer temps. reached over 100 Fahrenheit here which makes for some scorching asphalt. And tread is what gives you traction, which gives you confidence ,and safety, worth the price of new tires. I learned that through motorcycling you want good rubber on the road small patch we ride on.

Just one flag here- for safety reasons, I would NOT rotate tires on any bike. You definitely don't want an old/worn tire on the front! On my road bike, I will put the new tire on the front and then move the existing front to the rear (and toss the worn-out rear). You could research whether that might be a good choice for you.

I have the big apple on my ST2 , no issues only can compare to the OE Big Bens. the size though is different(same size as the ST2s). It feels a little faster but not as much confidence on a turn when you lean more

Back