ST2 battery compartment can't close without battery?

Nebster

So, after my ST1 was stolen, I just replaced it with an ST2. I like both bikes a lot.

I often put my ebike on a rack on the back of my motorhome, sometimes driving it and leaving it there for days or longer depending on weather and locale. My rack has a huge lever arm and is close to its limits with two ebikes, so I like to remove the batteries to reduce weight. Also, I can't charge the batteries on the back of the RV, and it's better to keep them inside if it's really hot or cold out.

When I went to take my battery out today for the first time, I discovered that... the compartment itself can't latch closed without a battery. Is that right? Am I dreaming? Really, Stromer?

I resorted to a piece of duct tape, but I'm annoyed: either I'm missing something obvious about how to close this thing, or Stromer doesn't really want people to transport their bikes. (And if I do just bungee it closed, am I assured that there won't be moisture incursion in inclement weather?)

Yeesh.

So, after my ST1 was stolen, I just replaced it with an ST2. I like both bikes a lot.

I often put my ebike on a rack on the back of my motorhome, sometimes driving it and leaving it there for days or longer depending on weather and locale. My rack has a huge lever arm and is close to its limits with two ebikes, so I like to remove the batteries to reduce weight. Also, I can't charge the batteries on the back of the RV, and it's better to keep them inside if it's really hot or cold out.

When I went to take my battery out today for the first time, I discovered that... the compartment itself can't latch closed without a battery. Is that right? Am I dreaming? Really, Stromer?

I resorted to a piece of duct tape, but I'm annoyed: either I'm missing something obvious about how to close this thing, or Stromer doesn't really want people to transport their bikes. (And if I do just bungee it closed, am I assured that there won't be moisture incursion in inclement weather?)

Yeesh.

To be able to close the battery compartment door, the battery has to lean against the small spring loaded arm. That's how the mechanism is built.
I use my ankle strap to close the compartment door (I often do this when I work on my bike).

That's what I feared.

I'm sure there are some good reasons for the fancy-pants latch. I like the whole battery insertion approach versus the ST1. But for my scenario this kind of sucks. I hope the rubbery rim works well enough to keep out water with just a strap on the outside, because that appears to be the only option.

I always have a nylon 1in. strap with plastic buckle I found at R.E.I. on my St2 battery door for added security. And when traveling on rack it keeps the door shut.

I think that if you stuff a towel in empty battery compartment , and then a strap ,you should be fine on bike rack.

Another solution might be to just use Saran wrap to keep the battery door shut instead of a strap. That should be waterproof.

Stromer manual says never transport the bike with the battery in the compartment:

"In order to transport the ST2 with your car, always remove the battery from the battery box and transport it separately.
  • The ST2 lithium-ion battery has a capacity of 814 Wh and is considered dangerous goods.
  • The ST2 battery belongs to hazard class 9."
When you buy an ST2, it is possible that your dealer will not remind you of this when you leave the shop. Of course, you need a strap wrapped around the down tube to hold the battery compartment door closed as noted above. I use a 3/4 inch wide velcro strap. I like the idea of Saran wrap in the rain, but I have never used it when caught out in the rain. So far, no electrical problems while riding in the rain.

Yeah, it makes sense not to leave it on the bike for thermal and weight reasons. But it's not clear if they engineered it to be okay racked in the rain.

.. the compartment itself can't latch closed without a battery. Is that right? Am I dreaming? Really, Stromer?

I have to confess: It's true. An annoying error in design. Often complained but never fixed. Some skilled ST2 owners have modified the lock mechanism. Have a closer look.

With the battery out, Theft Mode also doesn't work, which means commuters lose this feature if they take their batteries with them into the office for a recharge without swapping in a spare. At first this bothered me, but then I remembered a battery half full attitude has its advantages.

I'm tinking to design a small battery dummy top with (fixed) handle to close the door as the handle is needed to hold the dummy in place.

Now my wall bracket design is finished i will spend some time design the bat dummy and keep in touch with the progress of work.

Back