Goodbye Stromer...for now

Neal olson

Well, it finally happened, after 8 years and 14,000+ miles, my Stromer st2 finally gave up the ghost. After trying to replace the battery with a refurbished battery, which had issues. And then replacing the refurbished battery with a new Stromer battery, which never worked. Their customer service handled it well and sent me another new battery which worked for about a month, but then this battery seemingly died/shorted. I thought this was another battery issue, so they sent me another new battery, but then when that one died/shorted as well, I realized the issue was with the controller board on my bike. So sadly I was not able to revive my st2.

I was considering getting a new Stromer, but the dealership options in the Chicago area are not very close location-wise(i.e. close enough to ride the bike too). So I decided to try the new Aventon level 2. It doesn’t have all the Stromer features, but it does have the basics for a much lower price. After riding for about 100 miles, I would rate the Aventon as a pretty good bike. Its assist is not as seamless as the Stromer, the components/build are not as solid, and I REALLY miss not having to carry around a lock, and the auto lock/unlock feature. But one saving grace was that I was able to take some of the parts of my st2 and put it on the Aventon, which makes it a Strometon, or Aventomer. Hopefully when this new bike dies, there will be better Stromer dealership options in my area.

I transferred the handlebars, the kickstand, and the seat. I'm thinking about trying to transfer the motor too (the Stromer motor is much quieter than the Aventon), but that may be a bit too much for me

I talked to Stromer CS, and apparently they don't make the ST2's now with the same controller board, he tried to talk me into a slightly used st5. But I've basically been supporting my own st2 for the 5 years, so was looking for something where I can just take it in to the shop when something goes bad. Also after 8 years, don't know what else might go bad next....

I talked to Stromer CS, and apparently they don't make the ST2's now with the same controller board, he tried to talk me into a slightly used st5. But I've basically been supporting my own st2 for the 5 years, so was looking for something where I can just take it in to the shop when something goes bad. Also after 8 years, don't know what else might go bad next....
What's your total cost ownership for 8yrs of owning the bike?

It was about $600 before the new battery, which mostly consisted of ~12 new tubes,4 new chains, 4 brake pad replacements, 2 new tires, and a new color omni unit. The new battery cost about $1,500 for a total of $2,100. I was hoping for another 8 years with the new battery but unfortunately didn't work out that way

It was about $600 before the new battery, which mostly consisted of ~12 new tubes,4 new chains, 4 brake pad replacements, 2 new tires, and a new color omni unit. The new battery cost about $1,500 for a total of $2,100. I was hoping for another 8 years with the new battery but unfortunately didn't work out that way
A super premium custom made battery with the best cells and with the very best battery management chips - that is not proprietary but works across bikes - costs around $420 shipped. I have seen people pay $600 plus shipping for a 260Wh 'range extender.' What a rip. One Stromer guy killed his fully charged bike with a 12 mile ride into a headwind. When he departed it said he had a some astronomical range. I had to rescue the guy because what he had was a clunky, heavy hub-drive, and those can't do those sorts of tricks. They die.

Attachments

• Stromer01.JPG
    Stromer01.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 181
  • Stromer02.JPG
    Stromer02.JPG
    348.7 KB · Views: 183
What's your total cost ownership for 8yrs of owning the bike?

What's the price when you take the value in account?

The value is more than just commuting environment friendly. The value is the daily laughing when you ride your Stromer. And overtaking other 45ers with their super-extra-cheap-builds is just priceless!

Quite frankly 600 for 8 years is nothing and I think you can fix your bike and use your new battery.
I was able to find Stromer controllers for your bike on ebay for reasonable prices. Idk what the situation is now.
And if you can't why don't you get in touch with ASI, they may have a controller/solution for your bike...

What's the price when you take the value in account?

The value is more than just commuting environment friendly. The value is the daily laughing when you ride your Stromer. And overtaking other 45ers with their super-extra-cheap-builds is just priceless!

I have 0 regrets, and the Stromer was totally worth it :)

On my ST2 I had a controller board go bad 6 months ago, Stromer sent me a new one from California and I installed it also included instructions, very simple. Now everything is fine. I have 20k miles on bike and 10k miles on my ST5.

Invoice from MYStromer USA Corporation
$365.00
Due April 2, 2023
Thanks

On my ST2 I had a controller board go bad 6 months ago, Stromer sent me a new one from California and I installed it also included instructions, very simple. Now everything is fine. I have 20k miles on bike and 10k miles on my ST5.

Invoice from MYStromer USA Corporation
$365.00
Due April 2, 2023
Thanks
I wish my situation would have been similar...but lack of a local service option, and proper diagnosis of the issue led to where I am now.

I also do not have a Stromer Dealer within 4hrs of me.
All I did was contact Stromer Service Dept.

[email protected]

He login the bike and told me the problem and sent me the new Controller board. I installed it via there instructions. It took me 1hr. to do.

Its real simple, just takes a little work. Plug and play.

Thanks

Reactions: rtp
It sounds like you had a much better experience with Stromer support than I did. I talked with them several times...

Back