ST1-T vs. ST1-X: Anyone ridden both?

I pretty much narrowed down my choice to a closeout model ST1-T which fits nicely inside my budget. However, if I add a Body Float seat post later, then I'll be outside my original budget; but within seven hundred dollars or so of an ST1-X, which the retailer bundles with the seat post. I'm intrigued by the OMNI integration and the one (very minor) gripe I had about the T was the somewhat clunky display ergonomics.

It seems I'd also be giving up the carbon fork of the T, which I hoped would help to soften the blow from our horrendous streets (imagine it had been carpet bombed and then there was a tectonic shift underneath). The bigger standard battery (522Wh vs. 619Wh) with a higher Wh upgrade path (630Wh vs. 814Wh) also is appealing. How are they in terms of ride height, comfort?

TIA

Thanks. Is there an "official" Stromer recommendation for a front shock for the ST1-T? I assume that the frame on the ST1-X is the same as the ST2 and the Suntour kit available through dealers would work.

Thanks for all the advice. I wound up chasing the devil up and out of my budget and landed a closeout 2016 ST2. It didn't seem like much of a stretch from where I started at a cap of three and half grand to where I wound up after I started adding up battery upgrades and whatnot. I'm still looking at about another $6-700 hundred on comfort mods, but the price I got was too good to pass up. The mods can wait.

Yes I hope you enjoy your bike!
I think they've got quite a good set of products from St1t - St1x - St2 - St2s which helps them up-sell to the more expensive models :) The price difference taking into account the bigger battery is not that much between each of them. Its how I ended up buying a St2s...

Yes I hope you enjoy your bike!
I think they've got quite a good set of products from St1t - St1x - St2 - St2s which helps them up-sell to the more expensive models :) The price difference taking into account the bigger battery is not that much between each of them. Its how I ended up buying a St2s...
My personal journey was Smartmotion Pacer --> ST1-T --> ST1-X -->ST2. I had more or less decided on the X and started shopping for lowest price when I came upon the closeout ST2 for only another three hundred. I don't know how addicted to e-Biking I'll get. I'm hedging my bet that like so many other interests, it will tip toward the extreme and the ST2 platform seemed like it was little more future proof than the pre-X ST1 line. I still love my old Bianchi road bike, but that is a purely recreational thing. I live in a downtown area, so I'm hoping the ST2 allows me to keep the Tesla in the garage when I get home from work and can handle trips to the grocery store and other errands.

Like yourself I was convinced of the x but then needed a battery upgrade and fell for the st2 initially but then I got silly and 'needed' the better light and the idea of electronic shifting seems just really cool so st2s.
Commuting for a year and a half now of which the second half on a homemade electrified single speed, but this has become illegal due to regulatory changes. So I know it will stick anyways. When is your delivery?

Like yourself I was convinced of the x but then needed a battery upgrade and fell for the st2 initially but then I got silly and 'needed' the better light and the idea of electronic shifting seems just really cool so st2s.
Commuting for a year and a half now of which the second half on a homemade electrified single speed, but this has become illegal due to regulatory changes. So I know it will stick anyways. When is your delivery?
Tracking says this Friday, but I am skeptical about being able to ride this weekend. The battery of course is shipped separately by ground, so even if the bike is here Friday, I doubt the battery is going to be here too.

Thanks for all the advice. I wound up chasing the devil up and out of my budget and landed a closeout 2016 ST2. It didn't seem like much of a stretch from where I started at a cap of three and half grand to where I wound up after I started adding up battery upgrades and whatnot. I'm still looking at about another $6-700 hundred on comfort mods, but the price I got was too good to pass up. The mods can wait.

That's great, congrats. Instead of front shocks, you might consider the Redshift Shockstop handlebar stem. I added one to my ST1 and especially on long rides of 30+ miles it really absorbs a lot of the vibration and bumps on roads and trails. To each their own, but I also recommend the Thudbuster--it makes a huge difference and saves my already lousy lower back a lot of abuse.

I was contemplating a body float seat post and a compatible suspension fork. I really just need it to navigate the crappy city streets in this town, I'm not going off-road on this bike.

Nice, adding some extra tension then having the bike there without being able to ride it ;-).
I might take it to a local Stromer dealer while its immobile to see if I can get it outfitted with at least a body float and get their recommendation for front shock absorption.

That's great, congrats. Instead of front shocks, you might consider the Redshift Shockstop handlebar stem. I added one to my ST1 and especially on long rides of 30+ miles it really absorbs a lot of the vibration and bumps on roads and trails. To each their own, but I also recommend the Thudbuster--it makes a huge difference and saves my already lousy lower back a lot of abuse.
How bad are the roads you usually ride on? The city streets here are truly 3rd world quality.

I was in accident on my St1 so ended up buying the ST1-x as a replacement out of the insurance money. I must say, I was a little underwhelmed by everyone always comparing the ST1-x with the ST2... I realise those 2 bikes are "similar", but price points, they are world's apart, and I would imagine a lot of people entertaining purchasing an ST1x are coming from an ST1 not an ST2! I personally find it very hard to justify buying a bike like the ST2 that costs $3,000 more and the ST1-x is already twice as expensive as the first e-bike I bought 5 years ago.... So, I'd prefer more reviews comparing the St1 to the ST1-x!

On that front, I use my bike for commuting and I was probably most concerned about the ST1x having Aluminum forks - particularly as they ST1 had originally been sold to me as a bike that absorbs the road bumps more because of the carbon-fiber forks! So, I personally do not understand why Stromer regressed on the forks for the ST1-x. My commute is typically urban and feels half way to off road owing to the utilities workers utter inability to rip up a road to check the gas/water/sewer/cable etc and then reseal it perfectly flat and inline with the original road. Add in a few winters and freezing temps and you've got one pot-holed bumpy ride on bitumen!That said, at the end of the day, I didn't notice much difference. I guess on either bike, the bumps are absorbed for the most part with the Big Ben tires, and the harder those are pumped up, the more bumpy the front end ride is.

With respect to the back wheel and bounce... I originally had a fully sprung Brooks saddle which absorbed most of the road shock. My Stromer dealer talked me into getting a thudbuster seatpost and all I can say is... no difference. Unless you are heavily invested in racing cycle seats, I'd recommend getting a decent seat with springs as its cheaper than the seatposts, and much more portable across different bikes! But, no doubt as everyone with Stomer notes, something is needed on the back end because that is one harsh ride without springs there somehow. Seatposts do transport across from ST1 to ST1-x.

As to the ride of the ST1-x vs the ST1 - now in that regard, they are UTTERLY different beasts! The ST1 rides like the older models... Its slow to start, picks up speed like crazy by the third crank of the peddles and just zips along! I had no problems going up hills, adding more power to never break speed on the uphills bits of my ride (unless it started to get steep...). The St1-x... Seems to be MUCH more dependent on your cadence (which I suck at). If you are peddling strongly, the ST1-x is punchy! No other word for it - you feel that power helping you along! But woe betide you if you slow down your cadence - then it suddenly seems to lurch and slows down (particularly when going up hills). I am gathering from the forums (mainly having to read the ST2 forums as the ST1 forums are useless for understanding the mechanics of this bike), it is to do with the torque sensor and settings. I have just noticed on the app I can adjust the torque/speed/agility of the bike to a variety of setting (e.g. urban, snow, tour) and am hoping that by tinkering with these, I can stop the bike lurching on the hills as my cadence wanes. I just haven't done a ride yet with the my phone with me... You can adjust on the screen in the cross bar as well, but the fine tuning is easier from the app.
[Update - I have added comments later in this thread revising the ride - once customised it is better!]

The ST1-x also only has 3 levels of power. I am finding in Level 1, it is actually much more like riding an ordinary bike. Whereas in the ST1, the eco mode felt like you were getting a decent workout with a bit of boost, Level 1 on the ST1-x seems to literally just cancel out the weight of the bike so you feel like you are on an ordinary cycle ride. You are still going faster... but it takes more effort to sustain speed (yes, you actually use more than the 3 smallest rear cogs!). Level 2 (which seems to be where most people end up) feels more like half way between eco and city mode on the ST1. Level 3 is like a turbo boost - ZOOM! But, I have got to get the torque thing sorted out because at the moment, I am lurching up hills when in Level 3... It might be a miscalibrated torque sensor or it might be I just haven't got the torque in the right mode for my type of erratic cadence - but I look forward to getting that sorted out because Level 2 and 3 are very nice when its not lurching! Overall, I suspect I might end up getting a bit more of a workout on the ST1-x, but its nice to know that I have the power when I need it!

The St1-x does have some nice additional features - the regen is MUCH better when going downhill! I go down a couple of steep hills and on the ST1, the regen would cut out once I got past 40km/hr which led to me riding the brakes hard. In addition, you had to keep tapping it into regen, and then when at the bottom of the hill, tap it back to a boost mode. On the ST1-x, when you apply the brakes, the regen automatically cuts out and goes back to whatever level you were in - nice!!! And the highest level of regen is slowing me down a lot on even very steep hills. The ST1-x also has a boost mode. I haven't got that sorted out yet - its lurching like when I am in Level 3... when it works, its fine, but its erratic application right now is not impressing me. Again, I am hoping this just a torque sensor issue. However, I wouldn't say the boost was a lot... Maybe half way betweeen whatever modes you are in. Maybe its the cadence/torque thing again...

The light is good - I was told the front light made me look like a motor bike coming head on in the day, but wasn't quite so visible from the side. The panier rack is as pathetic as it was on the ST1. Anti-theft all looks interesting... I do know the bike rolls when you have it lock mode... I read somewhere that it rolls for about 60ft before the back wheel seizes up. Would be nice if it seized up earlier - 60ft is enough to get my bike from a bike rack to a car... That said, as long as there is a GSM signal, it is nice to know I can lock and arm the anti-theft from my phone - and see where the bike is! Nice add-ons...

Those are my first impressions!

Last edited:
The pannier rack is not pathetic, Stromer and dealers not explaining it is. It's a Racktime and made to "snap it" for their basket, bags, etc. prolly one of the best racks ever. A European standard.
The aluminum vs. carbon forks don't matter- they need to be replaced with sus. Forks.
The boost will always be a little jumpy- like your cars cruise control in hilly terrain.

The Stromer Racktime pannier rack is what it is--but it doesn't belong on a bike as substantial as a Stromer. I replaced it with a much sturdier Racktime rack that can comfortably support 60 lbs. and have filled the panniers (Ortlieb Back Rollers) with 2-3 additional batteries, charger, clothing, laptop, food, etc. and ridden 70 or 80 miles a day on various "rails to trails" around the country.

I doubt most people could really feel a difference between the carbon and the aluminum fork. At 200 lbs. with an aging back and neck, I rely on a Thudbuster LT combined with the Brooks B67 (more surface area to spread your weight around) and combined with a Redshift Shockstop handlebar stem that helps absorb bumps and the constant vibration through the handlebars pretty effectively.

Re: your Thudbuster--when I got mine via my dealer, it made no difference whatsoever. I figured out pretty quickly that the tension adjustment needed to be made and it loosened it up and made it work properly right away. I wouldn't want to ride long distances without it, and I hear the Body Float may be even better, though haven't tried it.

Wow. Someone kinda on same page as me! I also put the beefier racktime(wide holes) on my st1 and it is more solid than st2 stock rack- but I would guess op doesn't know about the snap-it thing at all, cause even narrow holed rack is still pretty handy compared to a rack that requires you to figure out how to hold stuff on.
The suspended stem likely ends up with similar results as sus. Forks. Either way, front end needs some relief at 25mph.
I have thud on 1, bodyfloat on st2. Same thing, something is needed to help ride quality. I kinda perfer thud lt, cause I like the feel better.

2(or3) thumbs up on carrying 2 or 3 extra batteries! Solves any dispute over exaggerated 100 miles+ range!
I do think that oem rack is prolly good choice for Stromer though. It's minimal looking, holds the fender in place and still a reasonable payload. Unfortunately, I don't think you van have fender and more robust rack together. Seems the fender and oem rack are dependent on each other- I think.

UPDATE: I played around with the torque/agility/speed settings in the app and voila! No more lurching when going up hills - I think I had the torque setting on way to sensitive relative to speed and agility. There are several options in the app - Standard, Snow, City, Tour and custom. I ended up tossing between Standard and City and am fine with either. Getting those settings balanced right also helped when I tried out the boost feature and now it works fine as well, gradually increasing as I hold down the button. That is nice as I think I would prefer to cycle in Level 1 and just get some extra assist going up hills and not have to be changing modes. Time will tell what I end up doing...

When trying to connect with changing the speed/agility/torque setting in the app, I was initially getting an error message saying 'something went wrong' - even though I could see the bars and "G" symbol on the Stromer's bike display. I resolved that by logging out and back into the app - app and bike sync was almost instantaneous after that.

The nice-but-odd thing about this bike is how smooth everything is! I feel like I am peddling really hard to get any speed up - and then I glance down at the screen and see I am just ZOOMING along! It's like you don't feel the boost, but the assist is there for sure! Hard to describe - with the ST1 and previous models, I always felt like I was riding an electric bike as you could feel the assist, but with the ST1-X, you don't feel the assist - and yet the riding and assist is just smooth and effortless. Well, you certainly do feel the assist at level 3 - that's just a turbo charger on the ST1-X! I guess this bike feels more adaptable and flexible - if you want to feel like you are riding an ordinary bike and get more of a work out, you can; if you want to feel like you are getting assist and work out less, you can. This is a GREAT bike!!!

I can say the 'surging' forward if the bike rolled forward when I was stopped and in City mode or higher on the ST1 appears to be resolved on the ST1-x... Now the only thing left is to see is if the issue where the torque sensor on the ST1 sometimes put the bike into an unacknowledged regeneration mode when I stopped on a hill (necessitating rolling backwards to 'unlock' the torque sensor before going forward) has been resolved on the ST1x - stay tuned! If that is resolved, then the ST1-x is all the better for it!!!

Back