ST1 Extra Battery?

kevinkiller

Hi,

Has anyone been able to carry an extra battery on their ST1?

The battery is so long an awkward I can't figure out how to carry it.

What are your solutions?

Thanks.

Hi,

What are your solutions?

Thanks.
There was another thread asking the same question and had a number of responses.
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-carrying-an-extra-battery.14265/#post-113661
Apparently, since the Stromer battery is too long, the method that makes it doable but not necessarily aesthetic is with the use of a front loader.

There was another thread asking the same question and had a number of responses.
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-carrying-an-extra-battery.14265/#post-113661
Apparently, since the Stromer battery is too long, the method that makes it doable but not necessarily aesthetic is with the use of a front loader.

Yes I saw this other thread but the answers were for other kinds of batteries.

If someone has other ideas besides the ToPeak FrontLoader I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.

When I ride the st1 I carry 2 batteries and 1 when I ride the st2. I use Ortlieb Roller bags on the built in rack. Eventually the bags will rip, reinforcing the bottom will help. And the Stromer rack will bend also and need replacement after a few years. You will need extra care to watch for rubbing on the tires from the fenders. At 1 point I took my Dremmel tool to the rack and made the bottom rack holes longer so I could push the rack up higher. I have changed out the factory screws at the bottom of the rack to something beefier to help also. Keep the rest of the rack/fenders tight also.

Hi,

What are your solutions?

Thanks.

I have carried 2 spare batteries on long trips on rail trails like the Katy Trail, the GAP in PA, and the C&O Towpath which can be fairly rough. You're right, the battery length can make it a little awkward. I got some large bubble wrap at work and made a couple of sleeves and inserted my batteries in them--protects them and keeps them warmer on cold days. I have a great Racktime rear rack and hang an Ortlieb Back Roller off each side, 1 battery per bag. I take it a little easy on bumps to keep the battery from bumping around, but it works fine. On long trips I just stuff soft things like my little tent, sleep bag, clothing around the batteries in the Ortliebs for added protection. Never have had issues and have ridden many hundreds of miles this way.

I have carried 2 spare batteries on long trips on rail trails like the Katy Trail, the GAP in PA, and the C&O Towpath which can be fairly rough. You're right, the battery length can make it a little awkward. I got some large bubble wrap at work and made a couple of sleeves and inserted my batteries in them--protects them and keeps them warmer on cold days. I have a great Racktime rear rack and hang an Ortlieb Back Roller off each side, 1 battery per bag. I take it a little easy on bumps to keep the battery from bumping around, but it works fine. On long trips I just stuff soft things like my little tent, sleep bag, clothing around the batteries in the Ortliebs for added protection. Never have had issues and have ridden many hundreds of miles this way.

Forgot to add, my Racktime Rack is way stronger than the standard issue Stromer. It bolts on near the rear axle, and has extension bars that I connect to a Salsa ring that wraps around the seat stem--it is very strong and can easily hold 50-60 lbs. of stuff and withstand the bouncing from ruts and bumps on the pavement. Strangely I found it last year on Sierra Trading Post for $40 or so but it's easily worth twice that. Some of the Axiom racks are strong and can handle a lot of weight too. I had one of them and liked it but like the Racktime a little better because you can hand the Ortlieb Pannier Back Rollers on it lower to the ground by 2-3" which helps lower your center of gravity.

This is a bit off topic but does anyone know of any further info regarding higher Wh capacity batteries on the horizon? Is 630Wh the best we'll see from Stromer? Is the ST1 (non X-line) at the end of the development line? Thanks for your thoughts!

This is a bit off topic but does anyone know of any further info regarding higher Wh capacity batteries on the horizon? Is 630Wh the best we'll see from Stromer? Is the ST1 (non X-line) at the end of the development line? Thanks for your thoughts!

Yes, 630Whr will be the largest.
The ST1 will be available through the model year 2018.

Yes, 630Whr will be the largest.
The ST1 will be available through the model year 2018.
Thanks for the response, Ravi. I can understand their interest in consolidating efforts on a common battery format for their newer bikes. Still, it would be great to see a battery capacity for the ST1 in the 800Wh area... I wonder if another equipment provider will jump in and offer a further upgrade in the future... There is at least one Dutch company that remanufactures/exchanges the cells in the batteries for around 500 Euros...

Thanks for the response, Ravi. I can understand their interest in consolidating efforts on a common battery format for their newer bikes. Still, it would be great to see a battery capacity for the ST1 in the 800Wh area... I wonder if another equipment provider will jump in and offer a further upgrade in the future... There is at least one Dutch company that remanufactures/exchanges the cells in the batteries for around 500 Euros...

The limitation comes from the physical size of the battery case itself. With 3500mAh cells, you could go upto 630whrs (which is already incredible).
Unless they start using 21700 cells, we won't see anymore upgrades to the St1 lineup. I know some manufacturers are beginning to use 21700 cells and even offer 1200Whrs in a compact form factor.

The limitation comes from the physical size of the battery case itself. With 3500mAh cells, you could go upto 630whrs (which is already incredible).
Unless they start using 21700 cells, we won't see anymore upgrades to the St1 lineup. I know some manufacturers are beginning to use 21700 cells and even offer 1200Whrs in a compact form factor.

Then I hope some firm starts using the 2170 format cells and brings this to the ST1 platform. Cheers

I have an older Stromer Sport and an ST1 Platinum arriving shortly so I'd like to be able to bring both batteries along on longer rides. I just discovered that the Thule Pack 'n Pedal Basket fits the ST1 battery perfectly diagonally across the bottom. I have a bag for my hiking poles on order that should fit the battery as well so I plan on putting the spare in there and carrying it in the bottom of this awesome basket.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-accessories/bike-baskets/thule-pack-n-pedal-basket-_-pp_100050

I use two Ortlieb Office Bags on my St1 LE for everyday commuting. One has my laptop with extra padding. The other holds food, clothing, etc. The ST1 battery fits nicely inside and I think it would be possible to carry two batteries if necessary.

Tai

Back