Specialized’s ultra-light 120-mile range e-bike - Turbo Vado SL

Looks like Canada is getting both models (SL 5.0 and an SL 4.0)
The SL 5.0 is exactly the same price as the aluminum Creo ($6,000 Can).

The SL 4.0 looks to be comparable to the Cannondale Quick Neo SL 1, but the Quick Neo is a thousand bucks cheaper.

I wonder who the target customer would be.
@Phyz, you? ;)
Not so much. I’m not that attracted to high steps in general. Unnecessarily awkward anymore.

If I’m going eBike, I like a wider range of power available. Options. If I were happy with lower power, I’d go with my initial preference, the Verve+ 3.

The “permanent” battery solves the installation awkwardness, but the charge port location is, as Court should have said, “a trade off”. And it does require the whole bike to be proximate to an outlet. Not always practical.

Super light duty rack, so touring is off the table. And they went back to the 2019 tires which struck me as super slick.

More motor noise, for sure.

Solid fork. Another option removed.

Tail light is a plus.

Seems I need to, as HAL9000 would suggest, take a stress pill and consider settling for the black ops stealthy metallic crimson 4.0. But if I need to run stealth, I’ll need to revisit the Verve+ 3 in Trek Black.

This could be a fun experience. I think I’ll ask for a test ride when the bikes show up in Sweden. Would be even more interesting if we had a 20mph class in EU instead of the 15.5mph(25kph)

The thing I like most about this bike is it's sure to push the ebike industry in a good direction, especially the value brands. Among the latter, the models have been bulky, slow, recreational or all three. Very good to see a commuter ebike that's fast and lithe.

This bike takes it to an extreme for my taste, with the small battery, skinny tires, and non-removable battery, but who knows, maybe they've overcome these limitations with their design.

Also look for Gogoro to launch a light ebike this month too.

The writing was pretty much on the wall for the old model Vado when Specialized did the recent super Vado/Como sale which diminished their inventory and set things up for new models. Apple and other electronics manufacturers do same thing annually. Camera and TV's, etc do it too. This bike doesn't suck, but it is in direct opposition to the Rad/Juiced, etc. concept of low cost, higher power, but lower level components. This bike has lower power, but pretty nice regular bike components. Specialized is gambling that people want more on the bike side, than on the electric side. That's what I see at least. Am I wrong??

Why do I feel like I'm looking at a Turbo Creo with flat bars? The price, though, is a lot lower and the motor's maybe more visible. I like it that they seem to
be bringing the approach (lower power more rideable without power) across their range of offerings.
Wow...33 lbs is really light! I think they will definitely find a market that revolves around more human power than motor power.

Yeah Juiced et al had the approach of, we'll throw so many watts and cells at you you won't care that we use a cheap drivetrain and heavy parts... And doubled down on that each year. Who knows if they'll even make a commuter ebike still 2 years from now.

This is what ebike specific design should be.

Instead of slapping a mainstream motor on a no suspension 52-55 lbs bike with a hefty price tag, Specialized is taking extra steps to design/modify the motor, battery, frame etc. to come up with a light ebike.

This seem to be a great ebike for the riders who need minimal assistance or ride their bikes in urban areas for running errands or on the road for nice weekend rides etc.

The pricing of 3.5K for the 36.9lbs model which comes with lights,fenders etc is great.

Since the bike is on the light side and efficient side, 320wh battery and 240w motor will be plenty for the right type of riders.

Well, I’m one of those folks that bit the bullet and bought the SL 5.0 EQ WITH THE RACK! I know it’s a granny bike with that setup but I’ve gone from riding a 2015 Cannondale Women’s Synapse to almost not riding at all because I developed breathing issues 3 years ago. Due to partial lung removal, and AFIB (out of the blue) I’m unable to get up even minor hills without gasping and my heart rate up too high! In the meantime, my husband has gotten not only into cycling but he’s going to do a 4 day fundraising ride in October that he’s training for so I want to be able to keep up. With this bike I hope to get more fit as the summer goes on! We live in the middle of nowhere and I’ll use the rack to carry our food!

I was going to get the Creo 5, but after reading about it on this forum several folks complained about the lack of quality of some of the components. That made me reconsider my decision. I also wanted wider tires to handle the dirt and gravel roads that make up our country side byways. I found this and decided to get it while they were available. Summer’s coming! Wish me well. I’ll let you know what I think.

Well, I’m one of those folks that bit the bullet and bought the SL 5.0 EQ WITH THE RACK! I know it’s a granny bike with that setup but I’ve gone from riding a 2015 Cannondale Women’s Synapse to almost not riding at all because I developed breathing issues 3 years ago. Due to partial lung removal, and AFIB (out of the blue) I’m unable to get up even minor hills without gasping and my heart rate up too high! In the meantime, my husband has gotten not only into cycling but he’s going to do a 4 day fundraising ride in October that he’s training for so I want to be able to keep up. With this bike I hope to get more fit as the summer goes on! We live in the middle of nowhere and I’ll use the rack to carry our food!

I was going to get the Creo 5, but after reading about it on this forum several folks complained about the lack of quality of some of the components. That made me reconsider my decision. I also wanted wider tires to handle the dirt and gravel roads that make up our country side byways. I found this and decided to get it while they were available. Summer’s coming! Wish me well. I’ll let you know what I think.

Congrats to you!
Can't wait to hear your impressions.

What I hate about the SL line is the un-removable main battery.

@FlatSix911: The second thought. The bike weighs perhaps 10 kg less than the Turbo Vado. The rider is the heaviest part of the equation. You can set the assistance level as you like in the regular Vado by Mission Control, meaning you can have little power and long range. So I can't understand the SL concept, only the fact the bike is super light.

You can always add a removable water bottle battery... just pretend the integrated battery does not exist. ;)

Fully integrated and secure Specialized 320Wh downtube battery w/optional Range Extender compatibility for up to 120 miles of range.

1589335166812.png

One thing Specialized said is they have found that lots of Vado and Como riders don't use the full use of their 1.2 and 1.3 motors, thus seeing a need for the lower output 1.1 motor. My shop is about 17 miles from my house and riding my normal "acoustic" road bike I usually average 175-200 watts normally, 230 if I'm fired up, 270 if there's a workout to be done. If this bike has a max output of 240, I can safely assume in full assist it'll average 200 watts easily which means my output can either be reduced or matched, thus giving me an average speed of 28 or greater. They're trying to find those who ride at a decent pace but want help on slopes that are pretty rude, have a headwind, or have a distance that would be reduced with greater speed (with respect to time in the saddle).

That said I'm going to get the Vado 5.0 because when I want to get to the shop but not drive I really don't want a cardio activity. If I do I'll ride my acoustic bike. The SL fits a great need in the market as it's the only platform that offers a super light class 3 bike with the ability to add range. Pretty cool. Any questions please shoot me a note!

One thing overlooked by most of participants of this thread is the frame design. Nothing for short legged people there. I can only guess Specialized would follow up with the step-through version in the next iteration.

Not so much. I’m not that attracted to high steps in general. Unnecessarily awkward anymore.

If I’m going eBike, I like a wider range of power available. Options. If I were happy with lower power, I’d go with my initial preference, the Verve+ 3.

The “permanent” battery solves the installation awkwardness, but the charge port location is, as Court should have said, “a trade off”. And it does require the whole bike to be proximate to an outlet. Not always practical.

Super light duty rack, so touring is off the table. And they went back to the 2019 tires which struck me as super slick.

More motor noise, for sure.

Solid fork. Another option removed.

Tail light is a plus.

Seems I need to, as HAL9000 would suggest, take a stress pill and consider settling for the black ops stealthy metallic crimson 4.0. But if I need to run stealth, I’ll need to revisit the Verve+ 3 in Trek Black.
I pick up my Verve +3 tomorrow.

Back