Specialized Vado SL derestricted

Jay12345

Anyone have any experience or recommendations derestricting a Vado SL? Mostly leaning towards the magnet trick were you move the sensor back and tape the magnet onto the crank itself. I live in Canada and our max speed of 32km is just a little low for me when I’m commuting to work.

Ya I’ve looked into that, just costs a lot for basically a 3D printed part
Don't want, don't buy it. You have asked for options, and that one is the best because the Specialized 1.1 motor has no other derestriction method yet. Besides, I have experienced the ordeal to install an electronic derestriction device in another e-bike and I would not wish it even to an enemy... Especially with the SL, where machining tolerances must be extremely tight and no extra space around the motor exists.

Just saw this, does anyone have any experience with this site or hardware? https://www.ebiketuning.com/shop/brose/peartune-3-0-specialized-turbo-levo-sl-1-1-2020.html
The problem is, they currently don't ship to North America.

Yes, I have a positive experience with the site and with one of their products (VolSpeed V2 for Giant). On request, they will send you a User Manual by e-mail and answer your questions in advance.

The chips listed on the website actually work very well. After installing the VolSpeed (which was painful process -- more on this later), the chip is activated by a sequence of keys on the bike's remote and the bike becomes de-restricted until the motor has been switched off. The displayed speed, distance, and odo values are correct. (You cannot set the wheel size, however, as that variable is protected by the manufacturer and is read-only unless you are the LBS). The experience is quite exhilarating: at the cost of more battery charge used, I could achieve over 40 km/h on my Trance E+, and other people riding my bike could get well over 50.

The pain is in the installation process. In case of PearTune, they write "remove the motor cover" but I am not sure how easy that is. In the case of VolSpeed V2, it was clearly specified what tools were necessary, and the User Manual detailed the procedure down to an iota. Yet, it was necessary to dismantle half of the bike and then it turned out it was very hard to find some spare space to fit the chip inside the bike and to fit all the wires/connectors back inside the motor chamber. It was a complicated work.

Things might be easier with the SL, not sure. Getting the User Manual helps.

Still, they don't ship to Canada.

Back