Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

The point is I must ride or my legs are jeopardized with amputation. Things were easy when I lived in my own house. Following the fire, I live in a social care flat where I can keep a single e-bike. By chance, that's the SL. Skiing clothes and electrically heated insoles make miracles! Still, I wish this Winter were over, BEC...
Mine sharing the brand of electric insoles. I'm still looking for the perfect solution!

There was something that made me worried on today's ride. Normally, I can lift my right leg and straddle the Vado SL top tube. I could not make it today! (Heavy clothes, boots?) So I laid my e-bike on the non-drive side, straddled the frame, lifted the SL. It worked!

Where are you located BEC?
Know the pain. since my crash in August, getting on the bike has been a challenge. A painful one. But I’ll get better.

I‘m in Virginia, USA. FWIW, my avatar photo is from the Northwest end in Purcellvile, VA of the 45 mile Washington and Old Dominion Rail Trail that I ride most of the time. The nearest entrance is around the block.

There was something that made me worried on today's ride. Normally, I can lift my right leg and straddle the Vado SL top tube. I could not make it today! (Heavy clothes, boots?) So I laid my e-bike on the non-drive side, straddled the frame, lifted the SL. It worked!

Where are you located BEC?
I remember my very public bike trip down to the most touristy location in Seattle that summer day - the Pike Place Market. I was going to walk around after locking my bike (the thought of doing that now is ridiculous due to theft). I could not dismount the bike. I tried swinging my leg over. I tilted the bike this way and that. My hip would just not allow it. There were folks watching these antics. And I was actually laughing at myself - it was so odd. I finally dropped it flat on the ground, stepped through the frame and locked it. I walked around with no problem. I had to mount it the same way - flat on the ground. I pedaled down there and back with absolutely no problems. It was a definite sign that the hip was not copacetic. My first titanium acquisition that December was the new hip. :eek:

But, yes, winter clothes and heavier boots now create similar situations. But I like your tales of riding in Winter - keep it up.

I‘m in Virginia, USA.
Not a winter country? (I've been to Virginia once: It was gorgeous Autumn).
I remember my very public bike trip down to the most touristy location in Seattle that summer day - the Pike Place Market. I was going to walk around after locking my bike (the thought of doing that now is ridiculous due to theft). I could not dismount the bike. I tried swinging my leg over. I tilted the bike this way and that. My hip would just not allow it. There were folks watching these antics. And I was actually laughing at myself - it was so odd. I finally dropped it flat on the ground, stepped through the frame and locked it. I walked around with no problem. I had to mount it the same way - flat on the ground. I pedaled down there and back with absolutely no problems. It was a definite sign that the hip was not copacetic. My first titanium acquisition that December was the new hip. :eek:

Ahhh, PNW. Don't make me jealous! :)

I've never made it to Poland and at this juncture, don't expect that I will. So keep posting those photos of quaint towns and villages.

I hope to make it to Europe again but just today, they warned us off visiting France and Portugal (I've been to Lisbon and the Azores and Madeira). I was suppose to go to the Azores again May 2020.

I moved here from NYC which used to be colder than Virginia but now they’re both pretty mild during the winter. That climate change thing. We have winter - it’s near freezing today - but it rarely gets below the high 20s F and there’s usually very little snow. It does get colder, but it’s not like Europe. You’re much further north than me.

It does get colder, but it’s not like Europe. You’re much further north than me.
I fully understand that. However, the things are not obvious for Europe, which technically extends from Svalbard Norway (81 deg N) to the Greek island of Gavdos (34 deg N), and from 31 deg W (Azore Islands) to Severny Island, Russia, at 69 deg E. We experience different type of climate/weather, not only depending on the latitude but also on the effect of seas or mainland.

Poland is said to be of the "moderate maritime/continental" climate zone. Also take into account Poland is only of the size of New Mexico by area. While it might be not really cold in our SW or by the sea, our NE part is known for harsh winters. The last harsh Winter we experienced was the 2012/2013 one (I shudder when I think of it!), and this year's one might be chilly, too!

Been loving my Vado SL 4.0 so far. Had it for three weeks now, and I've been upgrading it bit by bit. Just got a Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat post on it. Next up will be a Brooks Cambium saddle, a Kinekt suspension stem, and some Ergon GP-4 L grips. After that, who knows.

The bike is as @Stefan Mikes said in his original post: it's in the perfect sweet spot as an assisted ebike. You still feel like you're doing the work, but it takes the edge off of the worst aspects of cycling: starting from a dead stop, long slight inclines, and brutal headwinds. Everything else feels and flow naturally.

I'm not sure why Specialized hasn't updated their U.S. web site, but it's still showing the 2021 version of the standard-frame SL 5.0. So I stopped in at my LBS yesterday (the one that was recently purchased by Specialized) to see if they had the scoop on it, and indeed their dealer-only web site showed the full line of '22 models.

So FYI, the 2022 Vado SL 5.0 will be equipped as is shown on the regular web site for the step-thru versions, i.e. the SRAM 12-speed drivetrain and MasterMind TCU being the biggest new features. The price for the non-EQ goes up from $4500 to $4750 and the EQ from $4750 to $5000, again as currently shown for the step-thru. The only color available continues to be the current brushed aluminum. Interestingly, the Canadian web site has an option for a bright yellow color, and again the Canadians only get the EQ versions.

Knowing at last what they're making, I put down a 10% deposit for a non-EQ 5.0, which they said would be available at the "end of March". That's OK since we're lucky to get even a couple of decent days in April let alone March.

Stefan,

We were chatting about suspension in the other thread. I have put a suspension seat post in. It’s a cheap Satori Animaris I bought for just the reason we’re discussing. The seat post does a decent job smoothing the bumps. It doesn’t do the smoothing to the extent Kinect advertises, but my needs aren’t that big. Mostly, the issue is expansion joints on some bridge which shock the boys a bit.

I’m not sure about suspension stems. I put an extender on to raise the handlebars. This makes steering a bit awkward so I’m concerned about what a suspension stem might do. The sale on now is attractive, but I wouldn’t have a reason to install it until the spring. I’ll be riding asphalt until then. By then I couldn’t return it.

So, what can you tell us about riding with a ShockStop stem? Does it affect steering? Does it make a positive difference on smoother services? You know, all the usual concerns.

BEC,

There are several factors to make a gravel capable e-bike of Vado SL. I assume your model is EQ, so you need to stick with 38 mm max diameter tires. Nothing wrong with that! My gravel-cycling buddies all ride on 700x38c tires, the prefered model being Schwalbe G-One Allround. The problem here is Schwalbe believes 38c is 40 mm while Specialized are firm on 38c = 38 mm! With tight fender clearance, I would not risk putting 40 mm tires on Vado SL EQ. The next and very safe size is 35-622. Now, my experience:

I chose Schwalbe Smart Sam 37-622 for warm season gravel rides. The tire is strong, silent on pavement, very good grip in more rough terrain. For winter, I use Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus 35-622, with the extra benefit of increased fender clearance (easy removing snow/mud, and not getting clogged).

However, it is not only the tire size! For instance, you could inflate your tires closer to the allowed minimum, especially if you are not a heavy person. Makes miracles.
---------------------------
The handlebar position. Hard question. You might feel bad with the bars very low but almost all gravel cyclists all ride drop bars (only some use flat bars as we do for Vado SL). I actually lowered my Vado SL handlebars to the minimum and feel better on my rides! You could also try SQlab Innerbarends 411 (handlebar "hoods"). With the low handlebar position, riding in the Innerbarends as if they were hoods of the road bike drop bars is a very interesting and beneficial experience. Your arms are closer apart, more of your body weight rests on these "hoods", the ride is less shaky, and there's excellent reach to both brake levers and the shifter (I am a convert now!)
One of versions of Redshift ShockStop is the 30 deg one. If you want to "gravelize" your Vado SL, don't get tempted with that version! The proper variety would be the +/- 6 deg, and the stem length could be either 100 or 120 mm depending on the reach of your arms. Now, hear what the Redshift ShockStop can do for you:

I used to own a premium full suspension Giant e-MTB. It has a long travel air-fork and 2.6" lowly inflated tires. The ride comfort with Redshift Shock Stop stem can be compared to that suspension system but it gives a better ride experience than the Fox fork! It is because the MTB fork is for maintaining traction with rough terrain but it is not meant for increased ride comfort (it is the 2.6" tyres that do it!) It happened to me to inadvertently lock out the suspension in the Giant and be bombing downhill on rocks! And I hardly felt any difference!

Now, the Redshift ShockStop stem. It is a painkiller. When you ride on any rough surface, such as cracked asphalt, gravel, or on easy off-road trail, you actually know the terrain is rough but you do not suffer at all! The ride impression is as if the frame of your Vado SL were breaking, as the e-bike feels very elastic. But it is so fantastic as you do not suffer from the imperfect surfaces at all!

The issue to install the RockStop stem is you need to relocate the headlight. I have used a good GoPro mount made of strong aluminium alloy, and the benefit is the lamp is more forward, extending past the cables.

BEC, I'm telling you: RedShift ShockStop stem was the best investment I have ever done to my Vado SL! I have been on gravel cycling rides with my buddies. The leader commented: "I need to say Stefan was eating kilometres like a youngster!" :)

BEC,

There are several factors to make a gravel capable e-bike of Vado SL. I assume your model is EQ, so you need to stick with 38 mm max diameter tires. Nothing wrong with that! My gravel-cycling buddies all ride on 700x38c tires, the prefered model being Schwalbe G-One Allround. The problem here is Schwalbe believes 38c is 40 mm while Specialized are firm on 38c = 38 mm! With tight fender clearance, I would not risk putting 40 mm tires on Vado SL EQ. The next and very safe size is 35-622. Now, my experience:

I chose Schwalbe Smart Sam 37-622 for warm season gravel rides. The tire is strong, silent on pavement, very good grip in more rough terrain. For winter, I use Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus 35-622, with the extra benefit of increased fender clearance (easy removing snow/mud, and not getting clogged).

However, it is not only the tire size! For instance, you could inflate your tires closer to the allowed minimum, especially if you are not a heavy person. Makes miracles.
The handlebar position. Hard question. You might feel bad with the bars very low but almost all gravel cyclists all ride drop bars (only some use flat bars as we do for Vado SL). I actually lowered my Vado SL handlebars to the minimum and feel better on my rides! You could also try SQlab Innerbarends 411 (handlebar "hoods"). With the low handlebar position, riding in the Innerbarends as if they were hoods of the road bike drop bars is a very interesting and beneficial experience. Your arms are closer apart, more of your body weight rests on these "hoods", the ride is less shaky, and there's excellent reach to both brake levers and the shifter (I am a convert now!)
One of versions of Redshift ShockStop is the 30 deg one. If you want to "gravelize" your Vado SL, don't get tempted with that version! The proper variety would be the +/- 6 deg, and the stem length could be either 100 or 120 mm depending on the reach of your arms. Now, hear what the Redshift ShockStop can do for you:

I used to own a premium full suspension Giant e-MTB. It has a long travel air-fork and 2.6" lowly inflated tires. The ride comfort with Redshift Shock Stop stem can be compared to that suspension system but it gives a better ride experience than the Fox fork! It is because the MTB fork is for maintaining traction with rough terrain but it is not meant for increased ride comfort (it is the 2.6" tyres that do it!) It happened to me to inadvertently lock out the suspension in the Giant and be bombing downhill on rocks! And I hardly felt any difference!

Now, the Redshift ShockStop stem. It is a painkiller. When you ride on any rough surface, such as cracked asphalt, gravel, or on easy off-road trail, you actually know the terrain is rough but you do not suffer at all! The ride impression is as if the frame of your Vado SL were breaking, as the e-bike feels very elastic. But it is so fantastic as you do not suffer from the imperfect surfaces at all!

The issue to install the RockStop stem is you need to relocate the headlight. I have used a good GoPro mount made of strong aluminium alloy, and the benefit is the lamp is more forward, extending past the cables.

BEC, I'm telling you: RedShift ShockStop stem was the best investment I have ever done to my Vado SL! I have been on gravel cycling rides with my buddies. The leader commented: "I need to say Stefan was eating kilometres like a youngster!" :)
Fantastic response. I have changed the tires from the Nimbus Sports to Pathfinders which have already made a difference in ride comfort. They’re softer at the low end of recommended pressure 50-55 psi or at the middle 60-65 psi. I haven’t tried higher pressure as I‘ve been enjoying the cushioning. The traction on gravel is much better than the semi-slick Nimbus.

The other advantage to the Pathfinders is that I’ve been able to ride more slowly. I know this goes against Specialized marketing message, but after my crash I’ve realized that a 73 year old should probably not be racing roadies or 20 year olds. 🚲

Your comments on the RedShift Shockstop are very persuasive. Since my riding over the winter will be limited - as I’ve noted I don’t ride in temps lower than 40-45 F (4.5-7.5 c) or in precipitation - l think I’ll wait until next year to decide. I can make the excuse that I’m way over my cycling budget for the year. Of course the sale will be over… challenging decisions

Hello everyone,

great thread, thank you @Stefan Mikes for the interesting insights.

A sidenote aimed at a post from a few months ago: German VAT is 19%

I am interested in getting an e-bike (pedelec) early next year (January if possible). At first I thought I'd go the "SUV" route, i.e. Kalkhoff Entice or Riese & Müller Charger GT, since those look like a tank and reportedly drive like a tank.

Recently, a good friend bought a Kalkhoff Entice and I got to test ride it.
It looks like a tank. It drives like a tank. It also weighs like a tank.
I was not amazed by that experience, so I went out to search "the perfect bike" again.

I must add that my rider weight is 120kg which google says equates to 265 lbs. The selection of bikes is rather slim in that region. A lot of manufacturers that offer interesting bikes cut off at 140kg system weight (bike + rider + luggage). At a bike weight of 25kgs (or more) this didn't quite add up for me.

By pure luck I found that Specialized do in fact allow rider weight of max 136kg (aluminium fork) or 125kg (carbon fiber fork). The Vado SL can carry me :)
(I also hope to reduce rider weight through the whole "riding a bike" thing)

I found a Turbo Vado 5.0 EQ in XL in a store nearby and did a short test ride. Amazing. That was early November and they offered to keep it stored for me - with no obligation to buy - until January.
It is the dark blue/purple/grey colour like in this link https://www.specialized.com/de/de/turbo-vado-sl so I guess it's a 2020? MSRP for that is 4.600€ but they have a 15% discount on it, so I'd end up paying 3.910€. An acceptable price. Absolutely gorgeous bike. So filigrane, beautiful colour.
I was interested in the 4.0 at first but would not want to lose the Future Shock and better drivetrain/brakes. The 4.0 is available for roughly 3k€ from online retailers though.

Would it be a big mistake to buy the 2020 5.0 model? I mean, would I miss some really important improvements the newer models have?
As I understand it, it's big luck to even find a bike currently, I've only been to three dealers so far but they all said delivery times are awful, if you find a bike that fits and that you like you better be fast.

My planned use for the bike: mainly normal bike lanes with slight hills, no "mountain" biking. I also do not plan to do day long trips, but that might change. Appetite comes while you eat.
I might use it for a 11km (one way) part of my commute (the other part of the commute is a very risky and steep road and you couldn't pay me enough to do that by bike. I don't want to be killed).

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Greetings from Germany,
Robert

Robert,

Just go for it! There is nothing you would gain by getting the 2021 or 2022 model! And you will get your Vado SL in gorgeous colour!

There have hardly been any changes between 2020 and 2021 except the 2021 model came in brushed aluminium colour. The 2022 models may come with MasterMind TCU but trust me, it is not really any gain. (Having a colour display between your legs is not actually the best idea). The current SL electronics is so good you can get all your ride parameters either in Garmin or Wahoo or BLEvo (a smartphone app) without the Mastermind...

It looks to me Specialized are trying to work around the supply chain issues: new models can come with SRAM/Sunrace drivetrain components while the MY 2022 is equipped with excellent Shimano parts. The motor and battery is exactly the same. Actually, SL e-bikes are extremely modern. My Vado SL 4.0 EQ is a 2020 model and I am delighted with it. Don't hesitate!

15% discount? You might use it to buy the Range Extender with 220 mm SL cable and Y-cable to charge the main battery and the RE simultaneously (it was what I used my discount for, at least as the part of the cost -- my discount was 10%).

11 km commute in terms of e-bike is a laugh :) I guess you could even make the steep part in Turbo mode and low gear. You will appreciate the SL Robert whenever you'd need to carry it...

I was making 116 km with the Range Extender on my Summer rides. Your appetite will grow soon! Now, as it is a Winter time, I do regular grocery shopping on a 15 km route, and such trivia as snow don't stop me. And it is good your choice is the EQ version: It is vital in our part of Europe! (What area of Germany are you located in?)

1639135754677.png

From my today's grocery shopping ride :)

Stefan,

thank you for your reply.

The 11 km commute is not a problem of distance, it is one of time. My kids leave home for the school bus at 06:50. My commute is 22 km but I would not do the full route by bike for safety reasons, so I'd have to put the bike on the bike carrier and stop halfway to do the part where we have a bike lane. Getting there takes 10 minutes by car, so it's a very close call. I need to be in the office at 07:30. That means 11 km in 30 minutes, give or take a bit. Doable, yes. I will certainly give it a try.

I don't think I will go for the range extender right from the start, I can still get that later when I see the need for one. I have the luxury of a garage with power outlets so I can charge the bike every day if I have to.
I also don't have range anxiety, my daily driver is an electric car. ;)

I'm from Bavaria, between Nuremberg, Bamberg and Bayreuth.

I don't think I will go for the range extender right from the start, I can still get that later when I see the need for one. I have the luxury of a garage with power outlets so I can charge the bike every day if I have to.
With the main battery, you could easily do your 2 x 11 km daily trip in Sport or even Turbo mode to come to work fresh and make sure you're riding at 25 km/h all the time to get your 22 km/h average speed (which is always lower than the cruising speed). I mentioned the Range Extender for your future long rides, and if you think buying a RE is an easy thing nowadays, you could be wrong :) I got my first RE on the same day as my Vado but I'm still waiting for the second one, ordered perhaps two months ago...

Besides, using a Range Extender is good for the internal battery. As you certainly know, the battery lifetime is limited to a certain number of charge cycles. It is doable to ride on the RE alone, which helps elongating the main battery life by reducing its number of charging cycles. And that's what I actually do myself. (While a RE is a disposable, you'd rather like your main battery last long, as it is far more expensive than the RE is).

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

great thread, thank you @Stefan Mikes for the interesting insights.

A sidenote aimed at a post from a few months ago: German VAT is 19%

I am interested in getting an e-bike (pedelec) early next year (January if possible). At first I thought I'd go the "SUV" route, i.e. Kalkhoff Entice or Riese & Müller Charger GT, since those look like a tank and reportedly drive like a tank.

Recently, a good friend bought a Kalkhoff Entice and I got to test ride it.
It looks like a tank. It drives like a tank. It also weighs like a tank.
I was not amazed by that experience, so I went out to search "the perfect bike" again.

I must add that my rider weight is 120kg which google says equates to 265 lbs. The selection of bikes is rather slim in that region. A lot of manufacturers that offer interesting bikes cut off at 140kg system weight (bike + rider + luggage). At a bike weight of 25kgs (or more) this didn't quite add up for me.

By pure luck I found that Specialized do in fact allow rider weight of max 136kg (aluminium fork) or 125kg (carbon fiber fork). The Vado SL can carry me :)
(I also hope to reduce rider weight through the whole "riding a bike" thing)

I found a Turbo Vado 5.0 EQ in XL in a store nearby and did a short test ride. Amazing. That was early November and they offered to keep it stored for me - with no obligation to buy - until January.
It is the dark blue/purple/grey colour like in this link https://www.specialized.com/de/de/turbo-vado-sl so I guess it's a 2020? MSRP for that is 4.600€ but they have a 15% discount on it, so I'd end up paying 3.910€. An acceptable price. Absolutely gorgeous bike. So filigrane, beautiful colour.
I was interested in the 4.0 at first but would not want to lose the Future Shock and better drivetrain/brakes. The 4.0 is available for roughly 3k€ from online retailers though.

Would it be a big mistake to buy the 2020 5.0 model? I mean, would I miss some really important improvements the newer models have?
As I understand it, it's big luck to even find a bike currently, I've only been to three dealers so far but they all said delivery times are awful, if you find a bike that fits and that you like you better be fast.

My planned use for the bike: mainly normal bike lanes with slight hills, no "mountain" biking. I also do not plan to do day long trips, but that might change. Appetite comes while you eat.
I might use it for a 11km (one way) part of my commute (the other part of the commute is a very risky and steep road and you couldn't pay me enough to do that by bike. I don't want to be killed).

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Greetings from Germany,
Robert

Ronan,
Get it before it’s gone! Don’t know about the availability in your area but here is U.S. ebikes are a super hot commodity and the shops can’t keep them in stock.
You’re gonna love it. Feels like being a little kid again.

Good idea to have the range extender work so the main battery gets less cycles, I didn‘t have that in mind. Will consider it.

Yeah I will be as fast as I can, have to wait for my place of work to start the bike leasing programme. Not happening before January. Otherwise I‘d already have it 🙃

Robert,

Do I understand it properly? It seems your Specialized dealer in Bayern has no trouble with their stock of e-bikes? I'm surprised to find out Specialized Warsaw are pretty well stocked!

Back